I’m a huge fan of savory breakfast, and this recipe checks all the boxes. It’s easy to make, loaded with flavor and comes together in under 10 minutes!
In fact, I love this recipe so much I have been making it at home for years. I love how the rice is a little crispy on the bottom and gets smothered in the yolk from the egg. Add in the little kick of spice, and this is the perfect way to start the day.
This recipe calls for 6 simple ingredients, and I can guarantee that you already have these items in your refrigerator and pantry. So, ditch the weekend waffles and give this savory recipe a try.
Let’s get started!
Savory Breakfast Rice
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 8-10 button mushroom slices
- 4-5 ounces cooked white rice
- ½ – 1 tablespoon liquid amino
- 3 shakes of hot sauce
- Salt and cracked black pepper
- 1 egg
- Grab a small skillet and over medium heat add 1 tablespoon of butter.
- Add your mushroom slices and let them begin to brown. Season with salt and cracked black pepper.
- Add your cooked white rice. I use minute rice and heat it in the microwave before adding it to the pan.
- Add the liquid amino and hot sauce and combine everything until the rice and mushrooms are well covered.
- Let the rice get slightly crispy on the bottom of the pan.
- In a separate pan fry an egg to your liking.
- Spoon the rice mixture onto a plate and top with the fried egg. Finish with scallions or extra pepper. Serve and enjoy!
Author: Sarah Thomas-DrawbaughSarah Thomas-Drawbaugh is a recipe developer and creator of the brand, Healthyish Foods®. Sarah makes plant-based, fish and chicken recipes that are simple and delicious. Her work can be seen in Healthy-ish by Bon Appetit and Bon Appetit Magazine (digital), Women’s Health Magazine (digital) and Mind Body Green. Sarah is a Pittsburgh, PA native but currently lives in Vail, Colorado with her husband, Dan and rescue dog, Graci!