Savory Breakfast Rice
I’m a huge fan of savory breakfasts and this savory breakfast rice recipe checks all the boxes. It’s easy to make, loaded with flavor and comes together in under 15 minutes. Perfect for a quick and healthy breakfast through the week or a great brunch recipe on the weekend.
About this recipe
I have been making this savory breakfast rice recipe at home for years. I love how the rice gets a little crispy on the bottom as it bakes in the pan. Mix in the creamy egg yolk, meaty mushrooms and kick of spice; and this dish is the perfect way to start the day. Chances are good that you have most of these ingredients in your refrigerator and pantry already.
What’s great, is that this breakfast rice recipe will keep you feeling full and satiated throughout the morning. The combination of protein and healthy carbs is hard to beat. Made from eight simple ingredients, this breakfast rice recipe is a must try. So, ditch the weekend waffles and give this savory breakfast rice recipe a try.
Store any leftovers in an airtight container in the refrigerator for two to three days. To reheat, simply microwave until heated through. Keep in mind that the egg yolk might get firm when reheating. Looking for more breakfast recipes? Try my baked peanut butter and banana oats or my everything bagel and lox pizza. Both are great breakfast recipes to meal prep through the week or to enjoy for brunch.
Savory Breakfast Rice
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1 teaspoon garlic , minced, about 1 small clove
- ¼ cup sweet onion , diced small
- 8-10 button mushrooms, rinsed, dried and sliced
- 4 ounces cooked rice is about 1/2 cup cooked rice, Minute Rice cups work great! One cup is 4 ounces cooked
- .5 – 1 tablespoons liquid aminos, or 1 – 1.5 tablespoons soy sauce
- 2 teaspoons hot sauce, Frank's Red Hot sauce
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- pinch black pepper
- 1 large egg
- 2 skillets
- Grab a small skillet and over medium heat add 1 tablespoon of butter.
- Add the garlic, onion and mushroom slices, let it begin to brown. Season with salt and cracked black pepper.
- Add your cooked white rice. I use Minute Rice and heat it in the microwave for 1 minute before adding it to the pan.
- Add the liquid aminos OR soy sauce and hot sauce. Combine everything until the rice and vegetables are well coated.
- Let the rice get slightly crispy on the bottom of the pan.
- In a separate pan, fry an egg to your liking.
- Spoon the rice mixture onto a plate and top with the fried egg. Finish with scallions or extra pepper. Serve and enjoy!