Cabbage Soup with Orzo Pasta
I’m a huge fan or year-round soup. Especially, when it’s as fresh and flavorful as this healthy cabbage soup recipe. This soup recipe is light, healthy and easy to make. Perfect as a meal prep item through the week or a healthy weekday lunch. Plus, cabbage is loaded with fiber, so you’ll feel complete satiated after enjoying a big warm bowl of this soup.
About this recipe
Growing up, my sisters and I always ate cabbage soup. My Mom would make it in huge batches whenever she was trying to eat healthier. In fact, some experts say cabbage is a great weight loss vegetable. It has virtually zero calories and is very filling. At the time, I didn’t appreciate how delicious it was, but now I am a huge fan. This healthy cabbage soup recipe is easy to make and loaded with flavor. Perfect anytime of the year.
Add the orzo pasta to the soup right before you are ready to serve it. This way, the pasta will not soak up all of the broth and get soggy. Also, you can add a few shakes of hot sauce to this soup if you like your soup a little spicier. Finally, I suggest enjoying this soup with a side of soft Italian bread or naan bread. Both are great way to enjoy this cabbage soup recipe. This recipe makes four to six servings of soup. The nutritional information is listed below for more detail.
Store any leftover soup in an airtight container in the refrigerator for three to four days. Be sure to store the orzo pasta separately. Otherwise, the pasta will soak up all of the broth and it will be soggy.
Cabbage Soup with Orzo Pasta
- 4 ounces orzo pasta, cooked al dente
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 cup sweet onion, diced
- ½ head cabbage, sliced or shaved thin
- 1 cup whole corn kernels
- 1 can green beans, drain liquid, fresh beans work well too
- 1 can crushed roasted tomatoes with juice, 15 ounce can
- 2 cups vegetable broth, chicken broth will work too
- 1 cup water
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice, fresh squeezed
- 2 tablespoons Italian parsley, chopped small
- 1 teaspoon salt
- ½ teaspoon pepper
- ¼ teaspoon red pepper flakes
- pasta pot
- saute pan with sides
- Boil the orzo pasta according to the package. Al dente is best.Drain water from the pasta, drizzle it with olive oil to prevent sticking and set it aside.
- Grab a 3.5-quart sauté pan and add the olive oil over medium heat.
- Next, add the onion and simmer until the onion is translucent.
- Then, add the corn kernels, sliced cabbage and 1 cup of water. Season with salt and pepper. Simmer for 5 minutes over medium heat.
- Next, add the crushed tomatoes, green beans, vegetable broth, lemon juice, and a pinch of red pepper flakes for a little spice.
- Turn the heat to low and simmer for 25-30 minutes. This will allow the cabbage to soften and the flavors to blend.
- Finish with fresh chopped parsley.
- When ready to serve the soup, add some of the cooked orzo pasta to the bottom of the bowl then ladle in the hot soup.