Caprese Grilled Chicken Paillard
Healthy, light and completely satisfying, this caprese grilled chicken paillard is such a delicious chicken recipe. The chicken is fork tender and the caprese topping can’t be beat. This meal comes together very quickly too. Making it the perfect recipe any night of the week.
For a heartier option, try adding some cooked pasta or a side of grilled veggies. Broccoli, asparagus or zucchini would all taste great. To keep things on the lighter side, enjoy this meal with a simple salad. This is one of those juicy chicken recipes that the entire family will love.
About this recipe
For this caprese grilled chicken paillard recipe, I used chicken breasts but thin sliced chicken cutlets will work too. If you do use breast meat, be sure to butterfly and pound the filets before you marinate them. You do not want the chicken to be too thick for this recipe. Once the meat is butterflied, place it in a ziplock bag and gently pound the chicken into thin slices using a mallet. You’ll want it to be about 1/4 inch thick. Once the chicken is prepped, add the marinade and let it rest for 20-25 minutes while the grill heats. This grilled chicken recipe makes four light servings. Please see below for the nutritional information.
Store any leftover chicken or caprese mozzarella topping in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to 3-4 days. Tuck any leftovers inside of a wrap or on top of a salad for a delicious lunch the next day. Looking for more recipes? Try my Greek chicken meatballs with tzatziki sauce.
Caprese Grilled Chicken Paillard
- 1.5 lbs. chicken breasts
- 4 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 cloves garlic, thinly sliced or minced
- 2 tablespoons parsley, chopped
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ¼ teaspoon pepper
Caprese Mozzarella Topping
- 1.5 cups cherry tomatoes, sliced in half
- ½ cup mozzarella pearls, sliced in half
- ½ cup shallots or sweet onion, diced
- 2 tablespoons basil, fresh chopped
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- salt and pepper, pinch of each
- 1-2 tablespoons balsamic reduction , drizzled on top
- mixing bowl
- Place a sheet of foil on your grill, then preheat the grill to 400 degrees.
- If your chicken breasts are thick, butterfly them (cut them in half) and add them to a Ziplock bag. Gently pound the chicken using the soft side of a mallet. You will want the chicken to be about ¼ inch thick.
- Once the chicken is pounded thin, add the olive oil, thinly sliced or minced garlic, chopped parsley, salt and pepper to the Ziplock bag.
- Zip the bag closed and massage the chicken making sure it is evenly coated in the marinade.
- Let the chicken marinate for 20-25 minutes before grilling.
- While the chicken is marinating, you’ll prepare the caprese topping.
- Combine the sliced tomatoes, mozzarella pearls, chopped basil, diced shallots, olive oil, salt and pepper in a mixing bowl. Toss until well combined.
- Place the prepared chicken on the grill. Since it is coated in the olive oil mixture it will not stick to the foil.
- Grill for about 3 minutes on each side. It will cook pretty quickly. You'll want the internal temp to be 165 degrees Fahrenheit. Thicker chicken may need longer to cook.
- Remove from the grill and arrange the chicken on a platter. Top with the caprese topping and a light drizzle of balsamic reduction.
- Serve immediately and enjoy!