Healthy Broccoli Cheddar Soup
This healthy broccoli cheddar soup is so good you’ll never miss the flour and heavy cream. Made from a few simple ingredients, this soup is the perfect way to warm up on a chilly night. Creamy, light and flavorful, this will be your favorite way to enjoy broccoli cheddar soup from now on. This soup is the perfect meal prep item through a busy week, or as a healthy and filling dinner option.
About this Healthy Broccoli Cheddar Soup Recipe
For this soup recipe, I boiled fresh cauliflower and pureed it in the food processor. This creamy cauliflower acts as the flour and heavy cream in this recipe. It binds the soup together, while making it creamy and delicious. Plus, you do not even taste the cauliflower. It’s the perfect way to thicken this soup, add nutrients, and keep it on the lighter side.
Serve this soup with a side of crusty bread, cornbread or crackers. This recipe makes 6 servings. Please see below for the nutritional information.
Healthy Broccoli Cheddar Soup Ingredients
Butter – For this recipe, I used salted butter. You could substitute olive oil if you’re dairy free. However, the butter adds a lot of flavor.
Onion – Use yellow or white onion for this recipe. Dice it into small even sized pieces.
Broccoli – Wash and dry the broccoli, then cut it into small pieces. You can use the stem if you want or remove it. Either way is fine. Be sure that you have 3 cups of chopped broccoli when you’re done. You’ll also want the broccoli to be the same size. This way it will cook evenly in the pan.
Shredded Carrots – Use shredded carrots for this recipe. Roughly chop the carrots before adding them to the pan. This way you’ll have small, easy to eat pieces versus long matchsticks.
Bone Broth – Use chicken flavored bone broth for this recipe. You can also use chicken or veggie broth too.
2% Milk – For this recipe, I used 2% milk. You could use whole milk but the 2% milk works perfectly. If you’re dairy free you can try a dairy free alternative.
Cauliflower – boil a pot of water and cook the cauliflower until it is fork tender. Drain off the water and add the softened cauliflower to the food processor. Buzz the cauliflower until it is smooth and creamy. Lump free.
Shredded Mild Cheddar Cheese – I like using mild shredded cheddar cheese for this recipe. It melts quickly and adds the perfect amount of cheese flavor.
Seasonings – Simple salt and black pepper are perfect for this soup. It enhances the flavor without taking away from the broccoli and cheddar.
Store any leftover soup in an airtight container in the refrigerator for three to four days. Reheat soup in the microwave until heated through. Option to reheat this soup in a soup pot on the stovetop as well. If it is too thick, simply add a small amount of chicken broth or water to help loosen it.
Looking for more soup recipes?
Healthyish Broccoli Cheddar Soup
- 2 tablespoons salted butter
- 1.5 cups yellow onion, diced
- salt, to taste
- black pepper, to taste
- 3 cups broccoli florets , diced small
- 1 cup shredded carrots
- 2.5 cup chicken bone broth
- 1 cup 2% milk
- 24 ounces cauliflower florets, boiled, drained and pureed
- 2.5 cups mild shredded cheddar cheese
- 1 pot to boil cauliflower
- 1 colander
- 1 3.5 quart soup pot
- Boil a pot or water and cook the cauliflower florets until fork tender.Drain off the water and add the fork tender cauliflower to a food processor. Buzz until smooth and creamy, no lumps. Set aside.
- In a 3.5-quart soup pot over medium heat, add the butter, onions, salt and pepper. Saute until the onions are translucent, then add the chopped broccoli and carrots. Saute for a few minutes.
- Once the broccoli and carrots are soft but not browned, add the bone broth and milk. Stir well. Next, add the cauliflower puree and simmer.
- Finally, add the cheese. Stir until the cheese is fully melted and the soup reaches your preferred thickness. If it gets too tight, add some broth to loosen it. Serve hot with bread or crackers.