Quick Egg Salad
This quick egg salad is the perfect way to power through your day. It’s light, healthy and super easy to make. Serve it with toast or tortilla chips, for a light and flavorful lunch option.
For this recipe you will want to make my quick pickled onions in advance. These onions add a level of flavor to this egg salad that is hard to beat. They are tangy and sweet and add the perfect amount of flavor to the eggs and chickpeas.
For a low carb version, omit the toast and chips and enjoy as is. You can also add this salad to a few lettuce cups for a fun and healthy twist.
So, let’s get started!
Quick Egg Salad
- 4 medium boiled eggs
- 1 can of chickpeas , rinsed, drained and outer skin removed.
- handful of Italian parsley - or cilantro chopped
- 1/2 medium jalapeno - sliced
- pickled red onions - 1 tablespoon of rice vinegar liquid.
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- salt and pepper to taste
- squeeze of fresh lemon – optional
- mixing bowl
- sauce pot
Prepare the eggs:
- Boil four eggs in a pot. Cook eggs for 9 minutes so they are medium - hard boiled in the center.
- Once cooked, you will run the eggs under cold water to help reduce the temperature and stop the cooking process. Once cool, peel the eggs and set them aside.
Prepare the salad:
- Next, you are going to open a can of chickpeas. Rinse the chickpeas in a colander and take off the outer skin. This will make your egg salad creamier and smoother.
- Add the chickpeas to a medium sized mixing bowl. (pat them dry with a paper towel to remove any extra water)
- Next, you will want to chop a handful Italian parsley or cilantro and a few slices of jalapeño; add both to the bowl with the chickpeas.
- Stir in a healthy amount of my quick pickled onions. I like to add in about 1 tablespoon of the rice vinegar mixture from the pickle onion jar. It will help soften the chickpeas and give the egg salad a ton of flavor.
- Add the olive oil, salt and pepper and squeeze of lemon. Mix well.
- Slice your eggs in half or quarters and add them to the salad.
- Toss everything together and enjoy.
Serve and enjoy!