Quick Egg Salad
This quick egg salad is the perfect way to power through your day. Loaded with protein, this egg salad recipe will keep you feeling full without slowing you down. Plus, it’s light, healthy and super easy to make. Serve it with toast or tortilla chips, for a light and flavorful lunch option.
About this Quick Egg Salad Recipe
For this quick egg salad recipe, you will want to make this quick pickled onion recipe in advance. These pickled onions add a level of flavor to this egg salad that is hard to beat. They are tangy and sweet and add the perfect amount of flavor to the eggs and chickpeas.
Also, I like to boil my eggs for 7-8 minutes until the yolk is soft and almost jammy in the center. However, if you prefer a more firm yolk, I’d suggest boiling your eggs for 9-10 minutes. Be sure to run the eggs under cold water when they are done cooking. This will help reduce the internal temperature, making them easier to peel.
Option to roughly chop your eggs and mix them into the chickpeas as well. This preparation makes for easier scooping.
For a lower carb version, omit the toast and tortilla chips and substitute sliced cucumber or thick sliced bell peppers instead. Another option, is to add this quick egg salad to lettuce cups for easy eating.
Store this egg salad in an airtight container in the refrigerator for 3-4 days. Serve chilled.
Quick Egg Salad
- 4 eggs, medium to hard boiled
- 1 cup chickpeas, rinsed, drained and outer skin removed.
- ½ cup pickled red onions, roughly chopped
- ¼ cup jalapeno, diced, remove seeds
- 2 tablespoons cilantro, chopped small
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- salt and black pepper , to taste
- 1 mixing bowl
- 1 sauce pot
- 1 colander
Prepare the Eggs
- Boil four eggs in a pot. Cook eggs for 8-9 minutes so they are medium-hard boiled in the center.
- Once boiled, run the eggs under cold water to help reduce the temperature and stop the cooking process. Once cool, peel the eggs and slice them in half. Add them to a serving plate. Option to chop the eggs and combine them with the chickpeas.
Prepare the Salad
- In a separate bowl, combine chickpeas, cilantro, finely diced jalapeno and quick pickled onions. Option to add some of the pickling liquid from the jar to the salad. This will help soften the chickpeas. Drizzle with olive oil and season with salt and black pepper. Gently toss. Spoon the chickpea mixture over the sliced hard boiled eggs. Serve and enjoy.
Serve and enjoy!