Quick Egg Salad
This quick egg salad is the perfect way to power through your day. Loaded with protein, this egg salad recipe will keep you feeling full without slowing you down. Plus, it’s light, healthy and super easy to make. Serve it with toast or tortilla chips, for a light and flavorful lunch option.
About this recipe
For this quick egg salad recipe, you will want to make this quick pickled onion recipe in advance. These pickled onions add a level of flavor to this egg salad that is hard to beat. They are tangy and sweet and add the perfect amount of flavor to the eggs and chickpeas.
Also, I like to boil my eggs for 7 minutes until the yolk is soft and almost jammy in the center. However, if you prefer a more firm yolk, I’d suggest boiling your eggs for 8-9 minutes. Be sure to run the eggs under cold water when they are done cooking. This will help reduce the internal temperature, making them easier to peel.
For a lower carb version, omit the toast and tortilla chips and substitute sliced cucumber or thick sliced bell peppers instead. Another option, is to add this quick egg salad to lettuce cups for easy eating.
Store this egg salad in an airtight container in the refrigerator for 3-4 days. Looking for more simple lunch recipes? Try my black olive egg salad. It’s easy to make and perfect for a quick healthy lunch.
Quick Egg Salad
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 2 teaspoons lemon , fresh squeezed
- 4 medium boiled eggs
- 1 can chickpeas , rinsed, drained and outer skin removed.
- 2 tablespoons Italian parsley , or cilantro, roughly chopped
- ½ medium jalapeno , diced
- ¼ cup pickled red onions
- pinch salt
- pinch black pepper
- mixing bowl
- sauce pot
Prepare the eggs:
- Boil four eggs in a pot. Cook eggs for 8-9 minutes so they are medium-hard boiled in the center.
- Once cooked, you will run the eggs under cold water to help reduce the temperature and stop the cooking process. Once cool, peel the eggs and set them aside.
Prepare the salad:
- Next, you are going to open a can of chickpeas. Rinse the chickpeas in a colander and take off the outer skin. This will make your egg salad creamier and smoother.
- Add the chickpeas to a medium sized mixing bowl. (pat them dry with a paper towel to remove any extra water)
- Next, add the Italian parsley and diced jalapeno to the bowl with the chicken peas.
- Then, add the quick pickled onions. Option to add in about 1 tablespoon of the rice vinegar mixture from the pickle onion jar. It will help soften the chickpeas and give the egg salad a ton of flavor.
- Drizzle everything with the olive oil, salt, pepper and squeeze of lemon. Mix well.
- Slice your eggs and add them to the salad.
- Gently toss everything together and enjoy.
Serve and enjoy!