Quick Pickled Onion
Flavorful and delicious, this quick pickled onion recipe can be added to eggs, salads, and sandwiches. Or an egg salad sandwich, like I made the other day. It’s so versatile you will find yourself adding these easy pickled onions to a variety of meals.
About this recipe
Not only will this quick pickled onion recipe brighten the aesthetic of your dish, it will add a huge punch of flavor. This pickled onion recipe has the perfect balance of acid and spice. Plus, you can make these onions as a meal prep item you can enjoy through the week.
If you feel like trying something new, you can also add some fresh rosemary or a few chili peppers to this recipe. The rosemary will give the onions more of a herbaceous flavor, while the chili pepper will add some spice. Feel free to get creative and make these onions however you will enjoy them most.
These onions will last for two to three weeks if you keep them covered in an airtight container and refrigerated. However, they will taste best if eaten within the first week. You can get creative when adding these onions to your favorite dishes. However, I can guarantee that they’ll taste great with BBQ pulled pork, my quick egg salad recipe, or my light and creamy crab salad. They add an extra layer of flavor that is hard to resist.
Quick Pickled Onion
- 1 medium red onion – sliced 1/4 thick slices
- ½ cup rice vinegar
- ½ cup warm water
- 1 tablespoon cane sugar
- 2 cloves garlic – sliced or whole
- 5-10 pink peppercorns
- fresh rosemary , optional
- sauce pot
- small sealable container
- Boil pot of water.
- Slice your onion into 1/4-inch thick slices.
- In a small sealable container, combine the rice vinegar, warm water, and sugar. Stir until the sugar is dissolved.
- Add the garlic and peppercorns to the vinegar mixture.
- Next, you’ll add the sliced onions to a colander. Pour the boiling water over the onions to give them a quick blanch.
- Add the warm onions to the pickling juice. Seal the container closed and store in the refrigerator for at least one hour before using.