Crispy Zucchini Roll-Ups
Looking for a delicious, easy to make party appetizer? Try my crispy zucchini roll-ups. They are always a crowd pleasing appetizer and perfect for any gathering. Fancy enough for the holidays, but easy enough for game day, you’re going to love this simple appetizer recipe.
About this recipe
During the Super Bowl, I try to make tasty appetizers that can be eaten and shared in-between plays. I prefer to keep things simple, especially on exciting days like the Super Bowl. Typically, my go to spread is filled with easy to make, finger food recipes. I love making appetizers that are easy to grab and enjoy. Plus, this is the perfect way to keep things casual.
I tested this zucchini roll-up recipe over the weekend. After seeing how fast these zucchini roll-ups disappeared, it’s safe to say that this recipe will be on my Super Bowl menu going forward. The crispy, cheesy zucchini tastes so good with the spicy marinara sauce. Add the melted mozzarella cheese and it’s game over. (pun intended) So, give this delicious recipe a try. I can guarantee that your family will love this tasty zucchini recipe.
Store any leftover crispy zucchini roll-ups in an airtight container in the refrigerator. They will stay fresh for 3-4 days. Be sure to store the sauce separately. This will prevent the roll-ups from getting too soggy. To reheat, simply add the roll-ups to a microwave safe dish and microwave until they are warm throughout.
Crispy Zucchini Roll-Ups
- 1 large zucchini
- 1 large egg
- 2 tablespoons 2% milk
- 1/2 cup ap flour, all puporse
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
- 1/2 cup vegetable oil, this is for frying the zucchini – you may need more / less depending on how many strips you get from your zucchini
- 1 cup shredded mozzarella cheese
- 1 cup marinara sauce , store bought is fine
- baking tray to lay the breaded zucchini on
- baking dish
- 2 plates
- Preheat your oven to 350 degrees.
- Grab your mandoline and evenly slice the zucchini into thin strips.
Prepare the breading station:
- Next, you'll grab two plates and mix together the ap flour, salt and pepper on one plate. Then, you'll whisk the egg and combine it with the milk on a second plate.
- Grab a medium to large sized saute pan.
- Add the vegetable oil to the pan. You will want about a ½ inch of oil in the pan. Heat over medium-high heat.
Bread the zucchini:
- As the oil is heating, you will begin to prepare and bread your zucchini strips.
- First, you will take one zucchini strip at a time and dip it into the flour mixture. Coat evenly.
- Next, you will dip each strip into the egg mixture. Completely coat both sides and then dip each strip back into the flour. So, flour – egg wash – back in the flour.
- Repeat this process until all of your zucchini strips are breaded.
- Next, you are going to want to slowly add your zucchini strips into the hot oil.
- I fry about three strips at a time. You do not want to overcrowd your pan. It will decrease the oil temperature and the zucchini will be mushy, not crispy.
- Repeat this process until all of your zucchini are lightly browned and crispy. Set them on a paper towel to allow any excess oil to be absorbed.
- Next, you are going to sprinkle shredded mozzarella cheese on top of the zucchini strip. Gently roll the zucchini strip into rolls. The breading may crack a bit, but that’s ok.
- Finally, you are going to coat an oven safe baking dish with your favorite marinara sauce.
- Bake in the oven for 15-18 minutes or until the cheese is melted.