Crispy Zucchini Roll-Ups
Looking for a delicious, easy to make party appetizer? Try my crispy zucchini roll-ups. Crispy on the outside and cheesy in the center, these roll-ups are hard to beat!
I like to keep things simple especially on exciting days like Super Bowl Sunday. My go-to spread is typically filled with easy to make, finger foods that can be grabbed in between plays. I dont know about you, but I think approachable, fun food is a great way to keep any gathering casual and relaxed.
This crowd pleasing appetizer is perfect for any gathering. Fancy enough for the holidays, but easy enough for game day, you’re going to love this Healthyish appetizer recipe.
Pro Tips for Perfect Zucchini
- Long, thick zucchini will work best for this recipe. Reason being, is that the longer the zucchini it will be easier to roll. Also, thick zucchini will yield more strips.
- Gently press the zucchini strips in the breading to ensure you get a good coating.
- When frying the zucchini, do not overcrowd the pan. Overcrowding the pan will result in soggy strips versus crispy strips.
- Please keep in mind, that I was able to get 10 strips from my recipe. However, this will vary based on the size of your zucchini.
About this Zucchini Appetizer
I first came across a version of this recipe at a restaurant I worked at in Pittsburgh. It inspired me to test a version of my own. After seeing how fast these zucchini roll-ups disappeared, it’s safe to say that this recipe will be on my Super Bowl Sunday menu going forward.
The crispy, cheesy zucchini tastes so good with the warm marinara sauce. I like to use Delallo Foods marinara, but you can use whatever you enjoy most. Once your guests try this appetizer, it’s game over. (pun intended) So, give this delicious recipe a try.
Store any leftover crispy zucchini roll-ups in an airtight container in the refrigerator. They will stay fresh for three to four days. Be sure to store the sauce separately. This will prevent the roll-ups from getting soggy. To reheat, simply add the roll-ups to a microwave safe dish and microwave until they are warmed throughout.
Crispy Zucchini Roll-Ups
- 1 large zucchini, or 2 medium sized zucchini, 10 strips needed
- 2 eggs
- 1 tablespoon 2% milk
- ¾ cup ap flour, all puporse
- ¾ teaspoon salt
- ½ teaspoon black pepper
- 1 – 1.5 cups vegetable oil, For frying the zucchini – you may need more / less depending on how large your pan is
- 1 cup shredded mozzarella cheese
- 1 – 1.5 cups marinara sauce , plus extra for dipping, store bought is fine
- 1 baking tray lined with parchment paper to lay the breaded zucchini on
- 1 baking dish sprayed with non-stick spray
- 3 plates one lined with paper towel
- 1 mandoline
- Preheat your oven to 350 degrees. Line a baking tray with parchment paper and set it aside. Lightly spray a 9×13-inch baking dish with cooking spray and set it aside. Place 3-4 sheets of paper towel on a large plate. Set it aside.
- Grab your mandoline and evenly slice the zucchini into thin strips. Roughly ⅛-¼ -inch thick. You'll need 10 strips for this recipe.
- Grab two plates. Mix together the AP flour, salt and black pepper on one plate. Then, you'll whisk together the egg and milk on the second plate.
- Take one zucchini strip at a time and dip it into the flour mixture, making sure it's well coated.
- Next, dip the strip into the egg mixture. Completely coat both sides in egg and then dip the strip back into the flour. Making sure it's well coated. You can gently press on the zucchini to make sure the flour is sticking. So, the breading goes flour mixture – egg mixture – and back into the flour mixture. Place the breaded zucchini on a parchment lined baking tray. Repeat this process until all of your zucchini strips are breaded.
- Next, heat the vegetable oil in a large frying pan over medium high heat. Once the oil is hot, slowly add one zucchini strip at a time.
- Fry two to three strips at a time. You do not want to overcrowd the pan. It will decrease the oil temperature and the zucchini will be mushy, not crispy.
- Repeat this process until all zucchini are lightly browned and crispy. Set them on a paper towel to absorb any excess oil.
- Next, add about 1 – 1.5 cups of marinara sauce to the bottom of the 9×13-inch baking dish.
- Take one zucchini strip at a time and sprinkle mozzarella cheese over the top. Gently roll the zucchini strip into a roll-up. The breading may crack a bit, but that's ok. Place the roll-up in the prepared baking dish, seam side down. This will prevent the roll-up from unrolling in the pan. Repeat for all the zucchini strips.
- Loosely cover the dish with foil and bake for 15-20 minutes or until the cheese is melted and the sauce is hot.