Growing up my mom, Linda would always make us her old fashioned banana bread. It would barely make it to the table before we would begin slicing it and smearing it with butter. This recipe brings back so many great childhood memories and is so delicious.
There are so many ways to enjoy a great banana bread. While topping mine with butter is by far my favorite, cream cheese or peanut butter are also tasty ways to top this bread. For a fun twist, try adding in chocolate chips, blueberries or your favorite nut to the batter before baking.
To ensure your banana bread is deliciously moist, you have to use ripe bananas. That is the key to any successful banana bread! Really, really ripe bananas (completely brown on the outside). I hope you love this recipe as much as I do!
What You’ll Need:
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 2 eggs
- ½ cup or 1 stick soft butter
- 1 cup or 2-3 mashed RIPE bananas
- ¼ milk
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 2 cups sifted flour
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ½ cup nuts (optional)
- Preheat your oven to 350 degrees.
- In a large bowl, cream your butter and sugar together.
- Beat in one egg at a time.
- Stir in smashed banana, milk and vanilla extract.
- Add the remaining ingredients and stir by hand until well blended.
- Pour into a 9×5 loaf pan.
- Bake for 50 – 60 minutes or until a toothpick inserted into the center comes out clean.
Remove from pan and cool completely before slicing
Author: Sarah Thomas-DrawbaughSarah Thomas-Drawbaugh is a recipe developer, fitness junkie and owner of the Healthyish brand. She loves taking everyday eats and making them Healthyish. Sarah defines being Healthyish as a lifestyle centered around living light, fit and fun with a healthy dose of “ISH” from time to time. Sarah’s work can be seen in Healthy-ish by Bon Appetit and Bon Appetit Magazine (digital). Sarah lives in Vail, Colorado with her husband, Dan and rescue dog, Graci!