Easy Vegetable Soup
Soup season is upon us! Which is why you need to try this easy vegetable soup recipe. This healthy soup recipe is easy to make and packed with tons of immune-boosting vitamins our bodies crave. Perfect for chilly days, when you want something warm and cozy to enjoy.
About this Soup Recipe
For this easy vegetable soup recipe, I used a variety of delicious and filling vegetables. Everything from chickpeas, zucchini, squash, carrots, onions and more. When prepping the chickpeas, you have the option to remove the outer skin from the chickpea. While this can take some time, it is well worth it. Removing the outer skin makes the chickpeas softer and more creamy.
Be sure to serve this soup with al dente orzo pasta and a side of warm naan bread. However, a thick slice of French bread with butter would taste amazing too. This healthy soup recipe is completely satisfying yet light and delicious. The perfect combo any night of the week.
As a quick tip, only add the pasta once you are ready to serve the soup. This will prevent the pasta from soaking up too much broth and making the pasta soggy. If you like a little spice, try adding red pepper flakes of a few shakes of hot sauce. This will add an extra layer of flavor that tastes so good.
Store any leftover vegetable soup in an airtight container in the refrigerator for three to four days. Be sure to store the orzo pasta separately to prevent it from soaking up too much broth. To reheat, simply microwave in a microwave safe dish. Looking for more soup recipes? Try my dairy free creamy onion soup or my garlic ginger soup.
Easy Vegetable Soup
- 6-8 ounces orzo pasta
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 3 medium carrots, washed, peeled and sliced using a mandoline for even slicing
- 5 stalks celery, left whole as they will be removed later
- 1 medium white onion, diced
- 1 medium yellow squash, diced. core out the center using a spoon to prevent the squash from getting soggy.
- 1 medium zucchini, diced. core out the center using a spoon to prevent the squash from getting soggy.
- 1 can chickpeas, rinse, drain and remove the skin
- 1 can crushed tomatoes, with juice, 15 ounce can
- 1 large red bell pepper, diced
- 1 32 oz chicken broth, extra bouillon cubes if desired
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice, fresh squeezed
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- grilled tortilla or naan bread
- lemon wedges
- fresh chopped Italian parsley
- red pepper flakes
- soup pot
- pasta pot
Prepare the pasta:
- Boil pot of water and cook the orzo pasta according to the package. Al dente preferred as the pasta will continue cooking in the soup. Once cooked, drain off the pasta water using a colander.
- Drizzle the cooked orzo pasta with olive oil and set it aside.
Prepare the soup:
- Add butter and olive oil to a large soup pot over medium/low heat.
- Next, add the sliced carrots and stalks of celery. Leave the celery whole as they will be removed later.
- Add the diced onion, zucchini, red bell pepper and squash. Stir well.
- Then, you'll add a 32oz container of organic chicken or vegetable stock. Option to add a chicken bouillon cube for more flavor.
- Next, add in 1 can of crushed tomatoes, with juice.
- Add the drained and rinsed chickpeas.
- Season everything with salt, pepper, and red pepper flakes for a touch of spice.
- Let everything simmer for 30-40 minutes over low to medium heat.
- Next, you’ll remove celery stalks from the soup.
- Squeeze in 2 tablespoons of fresh squeezed lemon juice. Stir well.
Assemble the dish:
- Grab a small bowl and add a few spoonfuls of orzo pasta.
- Ladle some of the vegetable soup on top of the pasta.
- Garnish the soup with a slice of fresh lemon, chopped parsley and naan bread.