One Pan Chicken Cacciatore
Elevate mealtime with this simple, yet delicious one pan chicken cacciatore. This recipe combines some of my favorite ingredients. Olives, tomatoes, capers, and white wine to name a few. Everything comes together to make the most flavorful dish. The chicken is perfectly tender and absorbs all of the flavor from the sauce. Simple, clean, and healthy this recipe is something you’ll have on repeat each week.
This one pan chicken cacciatore recipe is healthy and light yet totally satisfying. However, if you’re looking to bulk it up a touch, try adding some white or brown rice or a side of pasta. You could also serve this dish with some crusty Italian bread. The bread would be perfect for sopping up the delicious chicken cacciatore sauce.
Enjoy this dish with a glass of red wine. I’d suggest a pinot noir. The lightness of the pinot noir will help balance the acid in the tomato sauce. I’m not sure it gets much better than this. Plus, you’ll only have one pan to clean up once the meal is finished.
Looking for more easy and delicious chicken dinner recipes? Try my roasted chicken with creamy spinach and artichokes or my baked chicken enchilada pasta. Both of these recipes are loaded with flavor and come together very quickly. Perfect any night of the week! Especially when you need something on the table in a hurry.
One Pan Chicken Cacciatore
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 tablespoons salted butter
- 2 lbs. chicken breasts, about 4 breasts
- 1/4 cup AP flour – all purpose flour , to dust the chicken
- salt and pepper, to season the chicken
Tomato Mushroom Sauce
- 2-3 sprigs fresh thyme
- 1 tablespoon dried oregano
- 1 cup diced white onion , shallots or yellow onions will work too
- 4-5 cloves garlic , minced
- 1 lb. baby Bella mushrooms , washed, dried, and sliced
- salt and pepper, to season the sauce
- 1/2 cup dry white wine , I used sauvignon blanc
- 1/2 cup bone broth or chicken broth
- 1 can diced tomatoes – 15 ounce can , drain off the juice
- 1 cup sliced green olives, i used whole olives and sliced them in halves
- 1 tablespoon capers
- 11-inch saucepan or larger
- Preheat the oven to 400 degrees.
Prepare the chicken:
- Remove the chicken from the package. Give it a light pound with a mallet to help promote even cooking.
- Next, you’ll season the chicken with salt and pepper. Finally, dust the chicken with AP flour making sure it is well coated. Set it aside.
- In an 11-inch saucepan over medium heat add the olive oil and butter.
- Once the oil is hot and the butter is melted add the chicken breasts to the pan.
- Sear them for 5-6 minutes on each side. You’ll want them to be golden brown.
- Remove the chicken from the pan and set it aside on a clean plate.
Prepare the sauce:
- In the same pan, add the diced onion, minced garlic, fresh thyme, clean sliced mushrooms, oregano and salt and pepper.
- Sweat until the onions begin to brown and the mushrooms have a golden-brown sear.
- Next, you’ll deglaze the pan.
- Add the white wine, and bone or chicken broth. Make sure to scrape up the crispy pieces form the bottom of the pan. Simmer for 5 minutes.
- Next, you’ll add the drained diced tomatoes, sliced green olives, and capers. Stir well.
- Finally, you’ll nestle the chicken breasts back into the pan. Cover them with the sauce.
- Cover the oven-safe pan with a lid and place it in the oven for 20 minutes or until the chicken is fully cooked through.
- Remove from the oven and serve hot!