One Pan Chicken Cacciatore
Elevate mealtime with this simple, yet delicious one pan chicken cacciatore recipe. This easy chicken dinner recipe combines some of my favorite ingredients. Olives, tomatoes, capers, and white wine to name a few. Everything comes together to make the most flavorful, homemade chicken dish. The chicken is perfectly tender and absorbs all of the flavor from the sauce. Simple, clean, and healthy this recipe is something you’ll have on repeat each week.
Enjoy this easy dinner recipe with a glass of red wine. I’d suggest a pinot noir. The lightness of the pinot noir will help balance the acid in the tomato sauce. I’m not sure if it gets much better than this. Plus, you’ll only have one pan to clean up once the meal is finished.
About this Chicken Recipe
This one pan chicken cacciatore recipe is healthy and light yet totally satisfying. However, if you’re looking to bulk it up a touch, try adding a side of white or brown rice or pasta. You could also serve this easy chicken dinner recipe with some crusty Italian bread. The bread would be perfect for sopping up the delicious chicken cacciatore sauce.
Pro Tips for This Recipe
When prepping the chicken be sure to give it a gentle pound so that the breasts are even thickness. This will help ensure even cooking time and will make the meat more tender. You’ll want to let the chicken rest at room temperature for 10-15 minutes before seasoning it with salt and pepper.
Be sure to dust the chicken in a light coating of flour so it gets a light crispy crust on the outside. Sear the chicken in the pan for 5-6 minutes per side. You will finish cooking the chicken it in the oven.
Once the chicken has a nice sear, remove it from the pan and set it aside. Begin creating your sauce from the chicken pan drippings. See below for step by step instructions on how to create the sauce. Once the sauce is ready, you will nestle the chicken back into the pan and place it in the oven, covered for 20 minutes. The internal temperature of the chicken should reach 165 degrees Fahrenheit to ensure doneness. This chicken cacciatore recipe is guaranteed to be a family favorite.
Looking for more easy chicken dinner recipes? Try my roasted chicken with creamy spinach and artichokes or my baked chicken enchilada pasta. Both of these chicken recipes are loaded with flavor and come together very quickly. Perfect any night of the week. Especially when you need something on the table in a hurry.
Store any leftovers in an airtight container int he refrigerator for three to four days. Reheat in the microwave until heated through. This recipe make four hearty dinner servings. Please see below for nutritional information.
One Pan Chicken Cacciatore
- 1 lb. chicken breasts, about 2 breasts, pounded
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 2 tablespoons AP flour, to dust the chicken, shake off excess flour
- salt and pepper, to season the chicken
Tomato Mushroom Sauce
- 2-3 sprigs fresh thyme
- 1.5 teaspoons dried oregano
- 1 cup yellow onion , diced small
- 2 teaspoons garlic, minced, about 2 cloves
- 8 ounces baby Bella mushrooms , sliced
- ½ cup dry white wine , sauvignon blanc
- ½ cup chicken broth
- 1 can diced tomatoes , 15 ounce can, drain off the juice
- ½ cup green olives, sliced, I used whole olives and sliced them in half
- 2 teaspoons capers, drain juice
- salt , to taste
- pepper , to taste
- 11-inch saucepan or larger
- Preheat the oven to 400 degrees.
Prepare the Chicken
- Remove the chicken from the package. Place it in a plastic bag and give it a light pound with a mallet to help promote even cooking.
- Next, you’ll season the chicken with salt and pepper. Finally, dust the chicken with AP flour making sure it is well coated. Shake off excess flour, and set it aside.
- In an 11-inch, over-safe saucepan over medium heat add the olive oil and butter.
- Once hot, add the chicken to the pan and sear it for 5-6 minutes per side. Both sides should be golden brown.
- Remove the chicken from the pan and set it aside.
Prepare the Sauce
- In the same pan, add the diced onion and minced garlic, saute for 2-3 minutes. Next, add the sliced mushrooms, fresh thyme, and dried oregano. Season with salt and pepper.
- Once the mushrooms have a light sear, deglaze the pan with the white wine. Be sure to scrape up any crispy pieces from the bottom of the pan. Next, add the chicken broth and simmer.
- Then, add the drained diced tomatoes, sliced green olives, and capers. Stir well.Remove the fresh thyme sprigs.
- Finally, nestle the chicken breasts back into the pan. Cover them with the sauce.
- Cover the pan with a lid and place it in the oven for 15-20 minutes or until the chicken is fully cooked through.
- Remove from the oven and serve hot!
2 Comments on “One Pan Chicken Cacciatore”
This recipe was fabulous!!!! The sauce over the chicken had such a delicious taste, and I will definitely make again!
This is an incredibly easy and tasty recipe to make. I also made it gluten free and dairy free. I substituted Miyoko’s butter instead of real butter and it still came out simply amazing. I put it over a bed of pasta and my family really enjoyed it.