One Pan Chicken Cacciatore
Elevate mealtime with this simple, yet delicious one pan chicken cacciatore recipe. This easy chicken dinner recipe combines some of my favorite ingredients. Olives, tomatoes, capers, and white wine to name a few. Everything comes together to make the most flavorful, homemade chicken dish. The chicken is perfectly tender and absorbs all of the flavor from the sauce. Simple, clean, and healthy this recipe is something you’ll have on repeat each week.
Enjoy this easy dinner recipe with a glass of red wine. I’d suggest a pinot noir. The lightness of the pinot noir will help balance the acid in the tomato sauce. I’m not sure if it gets much better than this. Plus, you’ll only have one pan to clean up once the meal is finished.
About this recipe
This one pan chicken cacciatore recipe is healthy and light yet totally satisfying. However, if you’re looking to bulk it up a touch, try adding a side of white or brown rice or pasta. You could also serve this easy chicken dinner recipe with some crusty Italian bread. The bread would be perfect for sopping up the delicious chicken cacciatore sauce.
When prepping the chicken be sure to give it a gentle pound so that the breasts are even thickness. This will help ensure even cooking time and will make the meat more tender. You’ll want to let the chicken rest at room temperature for 10-15 minutes before seasoning it with salt and pepper. Be sure to dust the chicken in a light coating of flour so it gets a light crispy crust on the outside. Sear the chicken in the pan for 5-6 minutes per side. You will finish cooking the chicken it in the oven.
Once the chicken has a nice sear, remove it from the pan and set it aside. Begin creating your sauce from the chicken pan drippings. See below for step by step instructions on how to create the sauce. Once the sauce is ready, you will nestle the chicken back into the pan and place it in the oven, covered for 20 minutes. The internal temperature of the chicken should reach 165 degrees Fahrenheit to ensure doneness. This chicken cacciatore recipe is guaranteed to be a family favorite.
Looking for more easy chicken dinner recipes? Try my roasted chicken with creamy spinach and artichokes or my baked chicken enchilada pasta. Both of these chicken recipes are loaded with flavor and come together very quickly. Perfect any night of the week. Especially when you need something on the table in a hurry.
Store any leftovers in an airtight container int he refrigerator for three to four days. Reheat in the microwave until heated through. This recipe make four hearty dinner servings. Please see below for nutritional information.
One Pan Chicken Cacciatore
- 2 lbs. chicken breasts, about 4 breasts
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 tablespoons salted butter
- ¼ cup AP flour, to dust the chicken
- salt and pepper, to season the chicken
Tomato Mushroom Sauce
- 3 sprigs fresh thyme
- 1 tablespoon dried oregano
- 1 cup white onion , diced, shallots or yellow onions will work too
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 lb. baby Bella mushrooms , washed, dried, and sliced
- salt and pepper, to season the sauce
- ½ cup dry white wine , sauvignon blanc
- ½ cup chicken broth
- 1 can diced tomatoes , 15 ounce can, drain off the juice
- 1 cup green olives, sliced, I used whole olives and sliced them in half
- 1 tablespoon capers
- 11-inch saucepan or larger
- Preheat the oven to 400 degrees.
Prepare the chicken:
- Remove the chicken from the package. Give it a light pound with a mallet to help promote even cooking.
- Next, you’ll season the chicken with salt and pepper. Finally, dust the chicken with AP flour making sure it is well coated. Set it aside.
- In an 11-inch saucepan over medium heat add the olive oil and butter.
- Once the oil is hot and the butter is melted add the chicken breasts to the pan.
- Sear them for 5-6 minutes on each side. You’ll want them to be golden brown.
- Remove the chicken from the pan and set it aside on a clean plate.
Prepare the sauce:
- In the same pan, add the diced onion, minced garlic, fresh thyme, clean sliced mushrooms, oregano and salt and pepper.
- Sweat until the onions begin to brown and the mushrooms have a golden-brown sear.
- Next, you’ll deglaze the pan with the white wine and chicken broth.
- Make sure to scrape up the crispy pieces form the bottom of the pan. Simmer for 5 minutes.
- Next, you’ll add the drained diced tomatoes, sliced green olives, and capers. Stir well.
- Finally, you’ll nestle the chicken breasts back into the pan. Cover them with the sauce.
- Cover the oven-safe pan with a lid and place it in the oven for 20 minutes or until the chicken is fully cooked through.
- Remove from the oven and serve hot!