BBQ Salmon Bowl
What better way to get your protein than with this delicious BBQ salmon bowl? Perfect any night of the week, these tasty bowls come together in under 45 minutes. What’s great is that they are fully customizable. So, everyone in the house is guaranteed to build a bowl they love.
For this BBQ salmon bowl recipe, I used Sweet Baby Ray’s BBQ sauce. It’s a family favorite over here, but you can use any BBQ sauce you enjoy. I also love using Scottish or Atlantic salmon when cooking salmon at home. Scottish or Atlantic salmon are going to have the most fat (healthy fat) without the price tag of Ora King salmon. For something less fatty, try sockeye salmon. Just know that sockeye salmon has a much fishier flavor.
I made a quick a flavorful pineapple salsa to go with the BBQ salmon. The sweet pineapple, spicy red onion, fresh herbs, cucumber and lime juice tastes incredible with the BBQ sauce. Simply dice all of the veggies and fruits into evenly sized pieces and toss it all together in a bowl.
As far as assembling goes, it is very easy. Simply boil rice according to the package and use that as your base. You could also use ramen noodles as a fun alternative. Flake off some of the cooked BBQ salmon using a fork and add it on top of the rice. Top with the pineapple salsa and any other toppings you desire. I used sliced avocado, lime wedges, crushed peanuts, and sliced eggs. But kimchi, toasted sesame seeds, and extra fresh herbs would all taste great too. Any leftovers would taste great for lunch the next day!
BBQ Salmon Bowl
- 1 lb. Scottish or Atlantic salmon , skin on remove pin bones
- salt and pepper, season the fish
- 2 tablespoons olive oil, drizzle over the fish before adding it to the pan.
- ¼ cup BBQ sauce , I like to use Sweet Baby Ray’s
- 1 cup diced pineapple , I used canned but fresh would taste great too
- 1 cup diced English cucumber , remove seeds and core with a spoon before dicing
- 1 cup diced red onion , dice small
- ¼ cup diced jalapeno , remove seeds and stems before dicing small
- ¼ cup chopped cilantro , fresh chopped
- 1 tablespoon lime juice, fresh squeezed
- ¼ teaspoon salt
Rice and Toppings
- 1 cup uncooked rice , cook according to package I used Uncle Ben's
- 1 large avocado , sliced thin
- 1 lime cut into wedges
- ¼ cup crushed peanuts
- fresh cilantro
- hard boiled eggs, sliced in halves
- soup pot for rice
- 11-inch non-stick skillet for salmon
- mixing bowl for pineapple salsa
Prepare the rice:
- Boil 2+1/4 cups water and 2 teaspoons of butter in a soup pot.
- Add 1 cup uncooked rice. Bring to a boil.
- Cover the rice with a lid and reduce the heat to low for 15 minutes. Set aside.
Prepare the salmon:
- Remove the salmon from the package. Let it sit at room temperature for 15 minutes before prepping.
- Remove the pin bones but be sure to leave the skin on. The skin adds a lot of flavor to the fish.
- Pat the salmon dry using a paper towel. Set it aside.
- Grab an 11-inch non-stick skillet and place it over medium / high heat.
- Right before you add the salmon to the hot pan, season it with salt, pepper and a healthy drizzle of olive oil. About 2 tablespoons.
- Place the salmon in the pan meat side down.
- Sear for 4-5 minutes before flipping. If the salmon is getting too dark, reduce the heat.
- Once you flip the salmon, add the BBQ sauce. Spread the sauce evenly over the fish.
- Reduce the heat to medium / low and allow the salmon to finish cooking in the pan.
- Cooking time will depend on the thickness of the fish. Mine took about 12-15 minutes in total.
Prepare the pineapple salsa:
- In a large mixing bowl combine, diced pineapple, diced red onion, diced cucumber, chopped cilantro, diced jalapeno, lime juice and salt. Toss until well combined. Set aside.
Assemble the dish:
- Add some rice to the bottom of your bowl.
- Using a fork, flake some of the BBQ salmon and add it to the bowl.
- Top the salmon with pineapple salsa and any preferred toppings. Suggested topping listed above.
- Serve while the salmon is warm and enjoy.