Creamy Garlic Soy Green Bean and Mushroom Casserole
This one pan creamy garlic soy green bean and mushroom casserole turns traditional green bean casserole on its head. For this recipe, I put a Healthyish twist on a classic.
To start, I skipped the canned cream of mushroom and made my own homemade garlic soy cream that is absolutely delicious. It’s silky, smooth, savory and tastes amazing! This casserole will be the perfect addition to any holiday meal. As an added bonus, you only need one pan too!
The garlic soy cream is lighter than the traditional cream of mushroom sauce. It also carries a lot more flavor. The soy sauce adds a wonderful umami flavor that is hard to resist when combined with the meaty mushrooms. While the garlic cream adds the smooth, creamy texture we all crave from a casserole. Mix everything together, and you’re in for one irresistible holiday side dish.
I can almost guarantee that this one-pan creamy garlic soy green bean and mushroom casserole will be the only way you make green bean casserole in the future. This is one Healthyish remake that you will not want to miss.
Looking for more holiday side dishes? Try my homemade holiday stuffing, or my one-pan crispy smashed potatoes. In need of something sweet? Try my homemade cornbread pudding. It’s creamy, custard-like and unbelievably delicious.
One-Pan Creamy Garlic Soy Green Bean and Mushroom Casserole
- 4 tablespoons butter, salted
- 2 tablespoons ap flour , all purpose flour
- 1 tablespoon garlic , chopped small or minced about 3-4 cloves.
- 1 cup 2% milk
- ½ cup chicken broth or stock
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 3 tablespoons soy sauce, regular
- 12 ounce bag fresh green beans , rinse and dry the beans. make sure to remove the stems. Cut them in half if they are very long.
- 16 ounce carton of baby bella mushrooms – presliced , rinse and dry the mushrooms
- 1/2 cup crispy fried onions
- 9 inch cast-iron skillet
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees.
- Grab a 9-inch cast iron skillet.
- Over medium heat, add the butter, minced garlic, and flour. Stir until a roux begins to form. All of the butter will be melted, and you will see the flour and butter begin to bubble.
- Once it begins to bubble, slowly add your milk. As you add the milk, a creamy sauce will begin to form. Once all the milk is added, repeat the same process for the chicken broth.
- Once the chicken broth is well incorporated, add the soy sauce. Stir until well combined.
- Next, you will add the rinsed and dried bella mushrooms. Let them simmer in the sauce over medium / low heat.
- As the sauce and mushrooms begin to reduce and soften, add the prepared green beans. Season everything with the salt. Stir well.
- Let everything simmer over medium/low heat for 5-10 minutes.
- Next, you will sprinkle crispy fried onions over the top of the dish.
- Then, you will cover the dish with foil and bake it for 20 minutes at 350 degrees.
- Remove the foil and bake for an additional 5 minutes.
- Remove from the oven and serve warm.