Creamy Green Bean Casserole
This one pan, creamy green bean casserole recipe is absolutely delicious. It takes traditional green bean casserole to the next level with homemade creamy garlic soy sauce. Add the tender green beans, meaty mushrooms, and crispy fried onions and I can guarantee you’ll be making this recipe time and time again.
About this Green Bean Casserole
For this homemade green bean casserole recipe, I skipped the canned cream of mushroom and made my own homemade garlic soy cream sauce that is absolutely delicious. It’s silky, smooth, savory and tastes amazing. This green bean casserole recipe is the perfect addition to any meal. As an added bonus, you only need one pan too.
The garlic soy cream is lighter than the traditional cream of mushroom sauce. It also carries a lot more flavor. The soy sauce adds a wonderful umami that is hard to resist when combined with the meaty mushrooms. While the garlic cream adds a smooth, creamy texture we all crave from a homemade casserole. Mix everything together, and you’re in for one irresistible holiday side dish.
I can almost guarantee that this one-pan creamy green bean casserole will be the only way you make green bean casserole in the future. This is one Healthyish remake that you will not want to miss.
How to Make Green Bean Casserole
When prepping the homemade creamy garlic soy sauce, you’ll want to add the butter, garlic and flour to a 9-inch cast iron skillet. If you do not have a cast iron skillet be sure to use an oven safe pan. Once the butter garlic and flour begin to bubble and are fragrant, slowly add the milk. Once the milk is well combined, add the chicken broth. Finally, you will add the soy sauce. Stir until it’s well combined.
Next, you’ll add the sliced mushrooms and simmer everything over medium low heat. Once the mushrooms begin to soften add the green beans. Season with black pepper and touch of salt. Simmer for another 5 more minutes. Top the dish with the crispy fried onions, cover it with foil and bake for 20 minutes. Remove the foil and bake for another 5 minutes. Serve hot and enjoy.
Store any leftovers in an airtight container in the refrigerator for three to four days, Reheat leftovers in the microwave until heated through. This recipe makes four servings. Please see below for nutritional information.
Looking for more holiday side dishes?
- easy homemade stuffing
- one-pan crispy smashed potatoes
- homemade cornbread pudding
- candied sweet potatoes
Creamy Garlic Soy Green Bean and Mushroom Casserole
Garlic Soy Sauce
- ¼ cup butter, salted, 4 tablespoons
- 2 tablespoons AP flour, all purpose flour
- 1 tablespoon garlic, chopped small or minced about 3-4 cloves.
- 1 cup 2% milk
- ½ cup chicken broth
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ¼ teaspoon black pepper
- 3 tablespoons soy sauce, regular
- 12 ounces fresh green beans , rinse and dry the beans. make sure to remove the stems. Cut them in half if they are very long.
- 16 ounces baby bella mushrooms, rinse, dry and slice the mushrooms
- ½ cup crispy fried onions
- 9 inch cast-iron skillet
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees.
- Grab a 9-inch cast iron skillet.
- Over medium heat, add the butter, minced garlic, and flour. Stir until a roux begins to form. All of the butter will be melted, and you will see the flour and butter begin to bubble.
- Once it begins to bubble, slowly add your milk. As you add the milk, a creamy sauce will begin to form. Once all the milk is added, repeat the same process for the chicken broth.
- Once the chicken broth is well incorporated, add the soy sauce. Stir until well combined.
- Next, you will add the rinsed and dried bella mushrooms. Let them simmer in the sauce over medium / low heat.
- As the sauce and mushrooms begin to reduce and soften, add the prepared green beans. Season everything with the salt. Stir well.
- Let everything simmer over medium/low heat for 5-10 minutes.
- Next, you will sprinkle crispy fried onions over the top of the dish.
- Then, you will cover the dish with foil and bake it for 20 minutes at 350 degrees.
- Remove the foil and bake for an additional 5 minutes.
- Remove from the oven and serve warm.