Perfect as a side dish or dessert, this cornbread pudding recipe is what dreams are made of. The sweet custard-like center and perfectly crispy edges are what make this easy cornbread pudding recipe absolutely delicious. Made from six simple ingredients, this cornbread pudding recipe is guaranteed to be a family favorite.
About this Cornbread Pudding Recipe
As a kid, my mom would always make us this cornbread pudding recipe for holidays. I can remember when she would pull it from the oven, the entire house would smell like warm, buttery corn. Needless to say, this cornbread pudding never lasted very long. While it is definitely more of a dessert, we would always enjoy it as a side dish with our main Thanksgiving meal. It was perfect!
For this recipe, be sure to use King’s Hawaiian original sweet dinner rolls. They come 12 to a pack and you will need 1.5 packs. When prepping the rolls, tear them into small bite size pieces before toasting. Place the torn pieces on a baking tray and bake for 20 minutes. You may have overlap, and that is fine. Be sure to toss the cubes halfway through toasting so they do not get too brown on any one side. Set the toasted cubes aside to cool.
In a mixing bowl, combine the milk and eggs. Whisk until well combined. Next, you’ll add the sugar, creamed corn and whole corn kernels. Gently mix this mixture together. Next, you will assemble the dish. Once the toasted potato cubes are completely coo, add half of them to the bottom of the prepared baking dish. Top with half of the corn liquid mixture. Add the remaining potato cubes, followed by the remaining corn mixture. Top with a few dabs of butter and bake at 350 for 50-55 minutes or until a knife inserted into the center of the dish comes out clean.
Serve warm and enjoy. This recipe make 8 servings. Please see below for nutritional information.
Store any leftovers covered in the refrigerator for three to four days. Reheat in the microwave until heated through. Looking for more holiday side dishes, try one of these below.
- 18 King’s Hawaiian original sweet dinner rolls, 1.5 packages, 12 to a pack
- 1 cup 2% milk
- 4 large eggs, whisked
- ½ cup cane sugar
- 1 can creamed style corn, 15 ounce can
- ½ cup whole sweet corn kernels, whole kernels from a can are fine
- 4-5 dabs salted butter , about 2-3 tablespoons sliced thin
- 2.5 quart baking dish
- baking tray
- mixing bowl
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees.
- Gently spray a 2.5-quart baking dish with cooking spray. Set aside. I used my Corningware.
- Tear the rolls apart into bite sized pieces using your hands.
- Spread the torn roll pieces on a baking tray. You will have some overlap which is fine.
- Toast the roll pieces in the oven for 20 minutes. Make sure to toss the cubes halfway through toasting.
- Remove cubes from the oven and let them cool.
- In a small mixing bowl, combine the eggs and milk. Whisk until well combined.
- Next, add the sugar, one can of creamed corn, along with the whole corn kernels. Mix well.
- Once the bread cubes are cool, add half of them to the 2.5-quart baking dish. Pour half of the corn mixture over top. Add the remaining bread cubes and pour the remaining corn mixture over everything.
- Top with a few dabs of butter. I used 2-3 tablespoons sliced into 4-5 pieces.
- Bake uncovered for 50-55 minutes or until a knife inserted into the center comes out clean.
- Serve warm and enjoy!