Perfect as a side dish or dessert, this cornbread pudding is what dreams are made of. Each bite is perfectly sweet and smooth. With a custard-like, creamy center and perfectly crispy top, this cornbread pudding recipe is absolutely delicious. Made from six simple ingredients, this recipe is guaranteed to be a family favorite.
As a kid, my Mom would always make us this recipe. I can remember when she would pull it from the oven, the entire house would smell like warm, buttery corn. Needless to say, this cornbread pudding never lasted very long. While it is definitely more of a dessert, we would always enjoy it as a side dish with our main Thanksgiving meal. It was perfect!
For this recipe, I am using King’s Hawaiian potato rolls. Mom always used bread cubes, but you can use either one. In my opinion, the potato rolls add an extra layer of sweetness and flavor that you do not get from the white bread cubes. That said, you cannot go wrong either way.
I also added some whole sweet corn kernels in addition to the creamed corn. I feel that adding the whole corn kernels gives the dish more texture and flavor.
- 2.5 quart baking dish
- baking tray
- mixing bowl
- 18 King’s Hawaiian potato rolls – best if left out overnight to get a little more firm before toasting 1.5 packages
- 1 cup 2% milk
- 4 eggs whisked
- ½ cup cane sugar
- 1 can creamed style corn 15 ounce can
- ½ cup whole sweet corn kernels I used whole kernels from a can
- 4-5 dabs of salted butter about 2-3 tablespoons sliced thin
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees.
- Gently spray a 2.5-quart baking dish with cooking spray. Set aside. I used my Corningware.
- It’s helpful to leave your rolls out overnight, but do not worry if you forget.
- Gently peel the top layer off of the rolls. It is the golden-brown layer and will peel off very easily. It is also very thin so you will not lose too much of the roll.
- Next, using your hands, tear the rolls apart into bite sized pieces.
- Spread the torn roll pieces on a baking tray. You will have some overlap which is fine.
- Toast the roll pieces in the oven for 20 minutes. Make sure to toss the cubes halfway through toasting.
- Remove cubes from the oven and let them cool.
- In a small mixing bowl combine, the eggs and milk. Whisk until well combined.
- Next, you’ll add the sugar, one can of creamed corn, along with the whole corn kernels. Mix well.
- Once the bread cubes are cool, add half of them to the 2.5-quart baking dish. Pour half of the corn mixture over top. Add the remaining bread cubes and pour the remaining corn mixture over everything.
- Top with a few dabs of butter. I used 2-3 tablespoons sliced into 4-5 pieces.
- Bake uncovered for 50-55 minutes or until a knife inserted into the center comes out clean.
- Serve warm and enjoy!
Author: Sarah Thomas-DrawbaughSarah Thomas-Drawbaugh is a recipe developer and creator of the brand, Healthyish Foods®. Sarah makes plant-based, fish and chicken recipes that are simple and delicious. Her work can be seen in Healthy-ish by Bon Appetit and Bon Appetit Magazine (digital), Women’s Health Magazine (digital) and Mind Body Green. Sarah is a Pittsburgh, PA native but currently lives in Vail, Colorado with her husband, Dan and rescue dog, Graci!