Juicy Chicken Smash Burgers
My latest chicken burger obsession are these juicy chicken smash burgers! Thin, crispy and cheesy, these burgers are what summer is all about. They’re made from a few simple ingredients and take 30 minutes from start to finish. Loaded with melty cheese your entire family will fall in love with this recipe.
This smash burger recipe is also perfect as a meal prep item through the week. Any leftover burgers can be tucked inside of a wrap or added to your favorite salad. Since there are minimal ingredients, these burgers are low carb too. So, get ready to fall in love.
About this recipe
For these juicy chicken smash burgers, I used Smart Chicken ground chicken breasts instead of ground beef. Don’t worry, these burgers are still super moist, juicy and crispy. Even using a lean protein like chicken. You still get all the flavor but with less fat.
My local grocer does not carry Smart Chicken’s ground chicken yet, so I simply cubed chicken breasts and added the chicken cubes to a food processor. This is a great hack if you need ground chicken in a pinch.
Also, make sure to buzz the shredded cheddar cheese blend into very small crumbles. You can do this in the food processor as well. This helps ensure that the cheese is evenly distributed throughout the burgers. I used Cracker Barrel’s three cheese blend and it was delicious.
You can dress these smash burgers any way you like. I opted for the Healthyish version which is, lettuce instead of a bun, sliced sweet onion, ketchup and pickles. However, you can add any toppings you desire.
Finally, I highly recommend using a Baking Steel for this burger recipe. If you’re not familiar with a Baking Steel, it’s a thin piece of steel designed for ovens, grills, stovetops and more. You can use it to make pizzas, eggs, pancakes and smash burgers! The steel can hit extremely high temperatures without being damaged. This allows whatever you’re cooking to form a beautiful sear. In this case, the chicken smash burgers only take about 2-3 minutes per side and lock in all of the flavor and juices from the meat. It’s a game changer in the kitchen and it’s a lot more affordable and versatile than a traditional pizza oven. For more info on the Baking Steel, click here.
Store any leftover burgers in an airtight container for 3-4 days. You can also freeze the raw or cooked burgers for up to 60 days in an airtight bag. Looking for more recipes? Try my broccoli cheddar chicken burgers or my spinach artichoke chicken burgers.
Juicy Chicken Smash Burgers
- 1 lb. ground chicken
- ½ cup shredded three cheese blend – extra for the top , buzz in a food processor until the shredded cheese forms small crumbles.
- ¼ cup grated parmesan cheese
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 teaspoon salt
- ½ teaspoon black pepper
- ½ teaspoon red pepper flakes – optional
- toasted bun
- lettuce wrap
- sliced onion
- gas grill
- Baking Steel
- mixing bowl
Prepare the Grill and Baking Steel:
- Place the Baking Steel on the grill. Drizzle it with olive oil and rub it into the steel using a paper towel. Once well-seasoned, heat the grill.
- Preheat the grill to 400-450 degrees. The steel will heat as the grill racks heat.
Prepare the Smash Burgers:
- In a large bowl, combine the ground chicken, crumbled cheddar cheese, parmesan cheese, salt, pepper, red pepper flakes and olive oil. Mix well using your hands.
- Form the mixture into 6 evenly sized balls. (Mixture will be sticky, don’t worry.)
- Add the balls to the hot baking steel and smash them using a metal spatula. Be sure to spray the spatula with cooking spray so the meat doesn’t stick to the cold metal.
- Cook for 2-3 minutes per side. You’ll want the internal temperature to hit 165 degrees Fahrenheit to ensure doneness. Cooking time may vary based on size and thickness of the burgers.
- Top with some extra shredded cheese once they are almost done and allow it to melt. Serve warm.