Ground Chicken Enchiladas
These ground chicken enchiladas are easy to make and delicious. Loaded with lean ground chicken, healthy vegetables and mild enchilada sauce, your entire family will love this recipe. What’s great, is that you can customize them too. Add sour cream, salsa, peppers, cilantro or whatever toppings you enjoy most. Let me know if you give these tasty enchiladas a try!
For this recipe, I used Smart Chicken’s ground chicken. Smart Chicken has been my favorite chicken brand for years! In fact, it’s the reason I started eating chicken again after 9 years without.
Organic Smart Chickens are exclusively fed a certified organic, certified non-GMO diet, and are never given antibiotics, hormones, or animal by-products. The program is certified humane by HFAC (Humane Farm Animal Care) and every chicken is free to roam, with access to outdoor pastures. Smart Chicken is USDA Process Verified as pure air chilled, without added water and are hand-trimmed for your convenience.
This post is sponsored by Smart Chicken. While I have been compensated for my time, all opinions are my own.
Ingredients Needed for Ground Chicken Enchiladas
Chicken – For this recipe, you’ll need one pound of Smart Chicken’s ground chicken. It’s lean, tender and delicious.
Olive Oil – You’ll also need olive oil for this recipe. You’ll use it to sauté the onions, ground chicken, black beans, and green chilies.
Onion – You’ll need one cup or about one medium sized onion for this recipe. Yellow or sweet will work perfectly. Dice it into small, even sized pieces.
Garlic – You’ll need 2 teaspoons of minced garlic or garlic paste for this recipe.
Black Beans – Rinse and drain one 15-ounce can of black beans for this recipe.
Diced Green Chilies – You’ll need one 4-ounce can of diced green chilies for this recipe.
Salt / Pepper – Season the onions, chicken, black beans and chilies with salt and pepper to taste.
Tortillas – For this recipe, I used eight flour tortillas. Whatever you use just make sure they are easy to roll.
Red Enchilada Sauce – For this recipe you’ll need one, 15-ounce can of red enchilada sauce.
Shredded Cheese – I used shredded cheddar cheese, but you can use whatever shredded cheese you enjoy most. Mozzarella, cheddar or a blend will all work fine.
Garnishes – Once cooked, top your enchiladas with your favorite garnishes. I used green onion, jalapeno, tomatoes, cilantro and avocado. However, sour cream, lime crema or hot sauce would taste good too!
How to Make Ground Chicken Enchiladas
Preheat the oven to 350 degrees.
Spray a 9×13-inch baking dish with non-stick spray. Set it aside.
Heat a large skillet over medium high heat.
Add the olive oil. Once hot, sauté the onions and garlic in the olive oil.
Once the onions are softened, add the ground chicken. Season with salt and pepper.
Add the black beans and green chilies. Stir until well combined. Sauté for 3-4 minutes.
Next, remove the chicken mixture from the heat.
Grab one tortilla. Add 1 tablespoon of red enchilada sauce to the tortillas. Add the chicken filling and roll it closed.
Place the rolled tortilla in the prepared baking dish. Repeat for all 8 tortillas.
Use the remaining enchilada sauce and pour it over the top of the enchiladas.
Top the dish with shredded cheese and place it in the oven uncovered for 15-20 minutes.
Remove from the oven and top with finely diced jalapeno, sliced tomatoes, sliced green onion, chopped cilantro and sliced avocado.
Serve hot with sour cream and hot sauce.
Best enjoyed immediately. Store leftovers in an airtight container in the refrigerator for three to four days. Reheat in the microwave.
Looking for more recipes?
- Chicken Enchilada Skillet
- Family Style Chicken Fajitas
- Creamy Baked Pesto Pasta with Chicken Meatballs
Ground Chicken Enchiladas
- 1 lb. ground chicken, Smart Chicken
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 cup onion, diced small
- 2 teaspoons garlic, minced
- ½ teaspoons salt
- ¼ teaspoon cracked black pepper
- 15 ounce can, black beans, rinsed and drained
- 4 ounce can, diced green chilies
- 8 flour tortillas
- 15 ounce can, red enchilada sauce
- ¼ cup cheddar shredded cheese
- ½ avocado, peeled, pitted and sliced
- ½ cup cherry tomatoes, sliced in half
- 2 stalks green onions, sliced
- ¼ cup cilantro, roughly chopped
- ¼ cup jalapeno, finely diced
- 1 large, non-stick skillet
- 1 9×13 inch baking dish
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees.
- Spray a 9×13-inch baking dish with non-stick spray. Set it aside.
- Heat a large skillet over medium high heat.
- Add the olive oil. Once hot, sauté the onions and garlic in the olive oil.
- Once the onions are softened, add the ground chicken. Season with salt and pepper.
- Once the chicken is cooked through, add the black beans, and green chilies.
- Sauté for 3-4 minutes.
- Next, remove the chicken mixture from the heat.
- Grab one tortilla. Add 1 tablespoon of red enchilada sauce to the tortilla. Add the chicken filling and roll it closed.
- Place the rolled tortilla in the prepared baking dish. Repeat for all 8 tortillas.
- Use the remaining enchilada sauce and pour it over the top of the enchiladas.
- Top the dish with shredded cheese and place it in the oven uncovered for 15-20 minutes.
- Remove from the oven and top with finely diced jalapeno, sliced tomatoes, sliced green onion, chopped cilantro and sliced avocado.
- Serve hot with sour cream and hot sauce.
2 Comments on “Ground Chicken Enchiladas”
These look amazing! I can’t wait to make them for dinner tonight. I love your recipes. They are so fresh and yummy… keep them coming!
So delicious and will definitely be in my dinner recipe rotation!