Fresh Shrimp Ceviche
Fresh shrimp ceviche is one of the easiest and most delicious summertime recipes. Perfect as an appetizer at your next gathering or as a delicious protein packed snack. This fresh shrimp ceviche recipe is an absolute must.
Commonly served in Mexico, this dish also has Peruvian roots. Ceviche is a South American seafood dish where raw fish is cured in citrus juices like lime or lemon. Be sure to use extremely fresh seafood when making ceviche.
While ceviche comes in a variety of forms, my favorite types are made with shrimp, scallops, snapper, yellowtail, ahi tuna or crab. Be careful, because not all types of fish are safe to use in ceviche. Some fish species are more parasitic than others and require freezing.
Ingredients Needed for Fresh Shrimp Ceviche
Shrimp – You’ll need 1.5 lbs. of thawed, raw shrimp. Ensure they are peeled, deveined and the tails have been removed before dicing.
Lime Juice – You’ll need 1 cup of fresh squeezed lime juice. You want to make sure the shrimp are well covered in the juice to ensure even “cooking” or curing.
Vegetables – For this recipe, it is common to use diced tomatoes, diced red onion, diced cucumber, freshly chopped cilantro and diced jalapeno or serrano peppers is you like a little spice.
Seasoning – I use a pinch of salt, but you can also add pepper, cumin, garlic or any spices you enjoy most.
Optional Garnishes – Tajin dusted chips, avocado, guacamole, tostadas, kani, lime wedges, cilantro.
How to Make Fresh Shrimp Ceviche
Peel and devein thawed, raw shrimp.
Remove tails and dice.
Add to a non-reactive bowl and cover with lime juice.
Cover with saran wrap and refrigerate for 1-2 hours.
Once the shrimp is pink in color, add the rest of the diced vegetables, herbs and salt.
Toss well and serve chilled.
Store any leftovers in an airtight container in the refrigerator for one maybe two days. The texture will continue to change over time as the acid breaks down the protein. Looking for more recipes?
Fresh Shrimp Ceviche
- 1.5 lbs. raw shrimp, peel, devein, remove tail and dice small
- 1 cup lime juice, fresh squeezed
- 1 cup tomato, diced small option to remove seeds
- 1 cup English cucumber, cored, diced small
- ½ cup red onion, diced small
- ¼ cup jalapeno, diced very small, almost minced
- ¼ cup cilantro, fresh, chopped small
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 1 non-reactive mixing bowl
- 1 sheet saran wrap
- 1 juicer
- Peel and devein thawed, raw shrimp.
- Remove tails and dice.
- Add to a non-reactive bowl and cover with lime juice.
- Cover with saran wrap and refrigerate for 1-2 hours.
- Once the shrimp is pink in color, add the rest of the diced vegetables, herbs and salt.
- Toss well and serve chilled.