Growing up French bread pizzas were always a staple in our home. I could guarantee that there were always a few Red Baron boxes stashed away in the freezer. Any time we had friends over we would heat up a few French bread pizzas in the toaster oven and enjoy them over a few laughs.
Today, I decided to recreate those tasty frozen pizzas but with fresh ingredients and a slightly more gourmet feel. What’s so great is that you can really customize this pizza recipe any way you like. Typically, I am a huge fan of plain cheese or veggie; but I made a few with the tiny quartered pepperoni that screams classic Red Baron!
If you’re looking for a tasty salad to pair with the French bread pizzas, try my Sarah’s simple salad recipe. It’s loaded with fresh herbs and is very easy to make!
French Bread Pizzas (copycat Red Baron)
- bakng tray
- 1 loaf French bread my loaf was about 10 inches long so it was on the smaller side.
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 teaspoon garlic paste
- 1 jar pizza sauce
- 1 cup shredded mozzarella cheese
- 10 slices Pepperoni cut into quarters
- ½ tablespoon Oregano
- Cracked black pepper
- Parmesan cheese – optional
- Red pepper flakes – optional
- Preheat the oven to 400 degrees.
- Cut the French bread loaf in half lengthwise then in half again widthwise. You should have 4 pieces.
- Next, in a small bowl combine the oil, garlic paste and a few cracks of fresh black pepper.
- Brush a light coating of the garlic infused oil over the French bread.
- Next, you’ll add the pizza sauce. I used about 1.5 ounces per piece.
- Top with shredded mozzarella and a light dusting of the oregano seasoning.
- I used pepperoni on two of the pizzas, but you can top them how you like.
- Bake for 12 minutes and broil for an additional 2-3 minutes to get the cheese extra melty on top. Keep a close eye on the pizzas when you broil to prevent them from burning.
- Serve with parmesan cheese and red pepper flakes. Enjoy while they are hot!
Author: Sarah Thomas-DrawbaughSarah Thomas-Drawbaugh is a recipe developer and creator of the brand, Healthyish Foods®. Sarah makes plant-based, fish and chicken recipes that are simple and delicious. Her work can be seen in Healthy-ish by Bon Appetit and Bon Appetit Magazine (digital), Women’s Health Magazine (digital) and Mind Body Green. Sarah is a Pittsburgh, PA native but currently lives in Vail, Colorado with her husband, Dan and rescue dog, Graci!