Creamy Pumpkin Pasta Sauce
This creamy pumpkin pasta sauce recipe is quintessential fall. It’s smooth, creamy and loaded with pumpkin flavor. Pour this creamy pumpkin pasta sauce over your favorite al dente pasta and you’re in for a quick and delicious dinner. This recipe comes together in under 30 minutes too.
About this Creamy Pumpkin Pasta Sauce Recipe
This recipe is made from a few simple ingredients. You only need a pasta pot and a saucepan to pull this tasty meal together. Perfect any night of the week this pumpkin pasta recipe will be on repeat this fall.
When boiling the pasta make sure to cook it al dente. It will continue to cook in the saucepan, so you don’t want it to get mushy. Also, be sure to reserve about ½ cup of pasta water. The pasta water helps to loosen the sauce and adds some extra flavor.
When preparing the pumpkin pasta sauce, you’ll add the butter, diced shallots and minced garlic to the pan. Once translucent, add the pumpkin puree, pumpkin spice, salt and pepper. Stir well. Next, you’ll add some of the reserved pasta water, heavy cream and grated parmesan cheese. Stir over low heat until the parmesan cheese is melted and well combined. You have the option to add a few red pepper flakes for a touch of heat too. However, this step is optional. This recipe makes four servings. Please see below for nutritional information.
Store any leftovers in an airtight container in the refrigerator for three to four days. Add a touch of water to the pan when reheating. The water will help loosen the sauce back up after it has been refrigerated. You can also reheat leftovers in the microwave as well. Be sure to add a touch of water to the container. Looking for more pasta recipes?
Creamy Pumpkin Pasta Sauce
- 8-10 ounces pasta, al dente
- 2 tablespoons butter, salted
- ½ cup shallots, diced small
- 1 tablespoon garlic, minced
- 1 cup pumpkin puree, not pumpkin pie mix
- 1 teaspoon salt
- ½ teaspoon pumpkin pie spice
- ¼ teaspoon black pepper
- ½ teaspoon red pepper flakes, optional
- ¼ – ½ cup pasta water
- ½ cup heavy cream
- ¼ cup grated parmesan cheese
- pasta pot
- Boil a pot of water and cook the pasta al dente.
- Reserve ½ cup of pasta water for the sauce.
- Drain off the remaining water using a colander. Set aside.
- In a large, non-stick saucepan, over medium heat, add the butter, minced garlic and diced shallots.
- Once the shallots are translucent, add the pumpkin puree, pumpkin pie spice, salt and pepper. Stir well.
- Next, add some of the reserved pasta water. I ended up using ½ cup.
- Then, add the heavy cream and grated parmesan cheese. Stir until the cheese is fully melted.
- Once the sauce is ready, add the cooked pasta and toss until its well coated. Top with red pepper flakes and extra grated cheese.
- Serve hot.