Ready for the BEST Baked Bean recipe ever? I don’t blame you. This baked bean recipe is so delicious it will have you and your entire family wanting more. Plus, it is the perfect side dish for any occasion or get together.
Growing up we would eat these baked beans at almost every social gathering. They are tangy, tender, and perfectly sauced.
My Mom likes to brown ground beef and add it in. (If you do this, be sure to drain off the fat first.) Then, she would top it with crushed bacon! It was so tasty!
I no longer eat red meat, so I am going to use chicken sausage links instead. But you can add whatever protein you enjoy the most! Try hotdogs, chicken sausage, ground beef, or bacon to take this recipe to the next level.
What makes it Healthyish?
Beans are loaded with fiber, protein and antioxidants. Kidney beans have even shown to decrease the rise in blood pressure after a meal. (1) To make this meal vegan, simply use veggie stock vs. chicken stock. Also, use tempeh vs. sausage.
The BEST Baked Bean Recipe
- saute pan
- 1 cup diced sweet onion – yellow or white will work
- 1 can kidney beans – drained and rinsed
- 1 can butter beans – drained and rinsed
- 1 16 ounce can vegetarian baked beans – I used bush’s
- 1 cup ketchup
- ½ cup brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon apple cider vinegar
- 1 teaspoon dry mustard powder
- ½ tablespoon of Worcestershire sauce
- ¼ cup chicken broth
- Gently spray a large sauté pan with cooking spray. Add your diced onion. Let the onions sweat until they become translucent.
- Then, add the drained and rinsed kidney beans, butter beans, and 1 can of the baked beans (with sauce). Add the ketchup, apple cider vinegar, mustard powder, brown sugar, Worcestershire sauce, and chicken broth. Stir until well combined.
- Let everything simmer over low heat on the stove top.
- You can serve this from the stovetop or bake it in a baking dish for 20-25 minutes at 350 degrees. I typically just let it simmer until the beans soften and serve it from the stovetop.
Author: Sarah Thomas-DrawbaughSarah Thomas-Drawbaugh is a home cook, recipe developer and the creator of the brand, Healthyish®. Sarah believes that living Healthyish® is a lifestyle centered around the 80/20 rule. Her beliefs are directly reflected in her recipes which are mostly plant-based. (but sometimes not) Her work can be seen in Healthy-ish by Bon Appetit and Bon Appetit Magazine (digital), Women’s Health Magazine (digital) and Mind Body Green. Sarah is a Pittsburgh, PA native but currently lives in Vail, Colorado with her husband, Dan and rescue dog, Graci!