The Best Baked Bean Recipe
Ready for the best baked bean recipe of all time? I don’t blame you. This homemade baked bean recipe is so delicious it will have you and your entire family wanting more. Plus, it is the perfect side dish recipe for any occasion or get together.
About this recipe
Growing up, my sisters and I would eat these homemade baked beans at almost every summer cookout. They are tangy, tender, and perfectly sauced. My Mom would always add browned ground beef and crispy bacon for extra protein and flavor. Seeing how I no longer eat red meat, I prefer to add grilled chicken sausage links to my baked bean recipe. However, you can add any protein you want. If you do opt for ground beef, be sure to drain off the excess fat before adding the beef to the beans, This way they will not get too greasy. Same applies for the bacon.
Should you decide to go the grilled chicken sausage route, you will want to make sure you cut the sausages into coins after it has grilled. The coins are easier to eat and will be juicy. I suggest using two links for this baked beans recipe.
This recipe makes 6 servings of baked beans. The nutritional information below does not account for any added protein. So, you will need to take this into account when enjoying this recipe.
Store any leftover beans in an airtight container in the refrigerator for four to five days. Reheat in the microwave until heated through. Serve as a dish dish with sandwiches, grilled chicken or ribs. Looking for more delicious side dishes? Try my easy Italian pasta salad or my one pan crispy smashed potatoes. Both are great side dish recipes for any occasion.
Beans are loaded with fiber, protein and antioxidants. Kidney beans have even shown to decrease the rise in blood pressure after a meal. (1) To make this meal vegan, simply use vegetable stock vs. chicken stock. Also, use tempeh vs. sausage.
The BEST Baked Bean Recipe
- 1 cup sweet onion, diced
- 1 can kidney beans, 15.5 ounce can, rinsed and drained
- 1 can butter beans, 15.5 ounce can, rinsed and drained
- 1 can vegetarian baked beans, 16 ounce can Bush's vegetarian baked beans, with sauce
- ¾ cup ketchup, Heinz brand
- ¼ cup light brown sugar
- 1.5 teaspoons apple cider vinegar
- 1 teaspoon dry mustard powder
- ½ tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
- ¼ cup chicken broth, vegetable broth works too
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- ¼ teaspoon black pepper
- saute pan
- Gently spray a large sauté pan with cooking spray. Add the diced onion. Let the onions sweat until they become translucent.
- Then, add the drained and rinsed kidney beans, butter beans, and 1 can of the baked beans (with sauce). Next, add the ketchup, apple cider vinegar, mustard powder, brown sugar, Worcestershire sauce, salt, pepper and chicken broth. Stir until well combined.
- Let everything simmer over low heat on the stovetop for 20-25 minutes or until the beans have softened and the sauce has tightened up.
- Option to add cooked protein of choice. Grilled chicken sausages, browned beef, or crispy bacon all work well.
- Serve warm from the stovetop or from a baking dish.