Simple Summer Pasta Salad
Need a quick and healthy side dish recipe? This simple summer pasta salad is the answer. Loaded with seasonal veggies, fresh herbs and a light healthy dressing, this pasta salad is a must try. What’s great, is that this entire dish only takes 30 minutes to makes too.
Perfect for cookouts, parties, or as a meal prep item through the week. This simple summer pasta salad is so versatile you can eat it in a variety of ways. Enjoy this salad with your favorite grilled protein like, salmon, chicken or even crispy tofu. You can also enjoy it as is. With so many veggies, you can feel good loading up on this recipe.
About this Pasta Salad Recipe
For this pasta salad, I used Delallo Food’s orzo pasta. It’s easy to make and has the perfect texture. You could also try their ditalini pasta for a fun and tasty twist. I like using a smaller cut for this recipe because you get the perfect ratio of pasta and veggies.
This recipe does not call for cheese, but you could easily add some cubed mozzarella or crumbled cheddar cheese. Both would taste great with this dish.
If you want to spice it up, try adding a few drops of hot sauce. I like to add a touch of hot sauce to my own personal serving, but I do not add it to everything. However, you can get as creative as you want.
Make sure you chop or dice all your veggies about the same size. This way you do not get a bite that is loaded up with one ingredient. The only two items I diced very small are the jalapeno and the shallot. That way you get a tiny taste of both without it being overpowering. This is one side dish recipe that you’ll want to try.
Store this pasta salad in an airtight container in the refrigerator for 4-5 days. Looking for more summer recipes? Try my easy Italian pasta salad or my easy caprese peach pasta salad. Both are perfect for the warm summer months.
Simple Summer Pasta Salad
- 6-8 ounces orzo pasta, 2 – 2.5 cups cooked
- 1 cup cherry tomatoes, halved
- ¾ cup mini cucumbers, diced
- ¾ cup corn kernels, I grilled my corn but canned works too. Just be sure to drain it first.
- ¾ cup red bell peppers, diced small
- ¼ cup shallots, diced small
- ¼ cup jalapeno, diced small
- ¼ cup Italian parsley, chopped small
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice, fresh squeezed
- salt, to taste
- black pepper, to taste
- red pepper flakes, to taste, optional
- 1 pasta pot
- 1 colander
- 1 mixing bowl
Prepare the Pasta
- Boil a pot of water and cook the orzo according to the package. Drain off the water and set the orzo aside to cool. Drizzle it with olive oil to prevent sticking.
Prepare the Pasta Salad
- In a large bowl, combine the cooked (and cooled) pasta, halved tomatoes, diced red bell peppers, diced cucumbers, corn kernels, diced shallots, diced jalapeno, chopped fresh parsley, and the simple dressing. Toss until well combined.
- Refrigerate for 30 minutes and serve.