Simple Summer Pasta Salad
Need a quick and healthy side dish recipe? This simple summer pasta salad is the answer. Loaded with seasonal veggies, fresh herbs and a light healthy dressing, this pasta salad is a must try. What’s great, is that this entire dish only takes 30 minutes to makes too.
Perfect for cookouts, parties, or as a meal prep item through the week. This simple summer pasta salad is so versatile you can eat it in a variety of ways. Enjoy this salad with your favorite grilled protein like, salmon, chicken or even crispy tofu. You can also enjoy it as is. With so many veggies, you can feel good loading up on this recipe.
About this recipe
For this pasta salad, I used Delallo Food’s orzo pasta. It’s easy to make and has the perfect texture. You could also try their ditalini pasta for a fun and tasty twist. I like using a smaller cut for this recipe because you get the perfect ratio of pasta and veggies.
This recipe does not call for cheese, but you could easily add some cubed mozzarella or crumbled cheddar cheese. Both would taste great with this dish. If you want to spice it up, try adding a few drops of hot sauce. I like to personally add a touch of hot sauce to my own personal serving, but I do not add it to everything. However, you can get as creative as you want.
One thing you want to make sure you do is to chop or dice all your veggies about the same size. This way you do not get a bite that is loaded up with one flavor. The only two items I diced very small are the jalapeno and the shallot. That way you get a tiny taste of both without it being overpowering. This is one side dish recipe that you’ll want to try.
Store this pasta salad in an airtight container in the refrigerator for 4-5 days. Looking for more summer recipes? Try my easy Italian pasta salad or my easy caprese peach pasta salad. Both are perfect for the warm summer months.
Simple Summer Pasta Salad
- 6-8 ounces orzo pasta, 2 – 2.5 cups cooked
- 1 cup mini cucumbers , diced
- 1 cup corn kernels , I grilled my corn but canned works too. Just be sure to drain it first.
- 1 cup red bell peppers, diced
- ¼ cup shallots , diced small
- ¼ cup jalapeno , diced small
- 10 ounces cherry tomatoes , sliced in halves
- ¼ cup chopped fresh parsley , chopped small
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice , fresh squeezed
- 1 teaspoon salt
- ½ teaspoon black pepper
- ½ teaspoon red pepper flakes – optional
- pasta pot
- mixing bowl
Prepare the pasta:
- Boil the orzo according to the package. Al dente is best.
- Drain off the water and set the orzo aside to cool.
Prepare the pasta salad:
- In a large bowl, combine the cooked pasta, halved tomatoes, diced red bell peppers, diced cucumbers, corn kernels, diced shallots, diced jalapeno, chopped fresh parsley, olive oil, lemon juice, salt, pepper, and red pepper flakes. Toss until well combined.
- Refrigerate for 30 minutes and serve.