Creamy White Chicken Chili
Warm up with a big bowl of white chicken chili. This recipe is easy to make and so delicious. This creamy chili is loaded with juicy tender chicken, beans and vegetables. Perfect any night of the week, you’ll have this recipe on repeat in no time.
What’s in Creamy White Chicken Chili Recipe
- Chicken- boneless skinless chicken breasts, chicken thighs or rotisserie chicken would all work great.
- Olive oil, Garlic and Onion– these aromatics are the perfect combination for this soup. Be sure to mince the garlic well.
- Vegetables– I used green bell peppers for this recipe. But you could add corn, red bell peppers or any vegetable you enjoy.
- Jalapeno– be sure to use fresh jalapeno. Remove the seeds and veins to reduce the heat. Mince well.
- Spices- chili powder, cumin, oregano, salt, paprika
- Chicken bone broth– I used chicken bone broth for this recipe. But you could use regular chicken broth or vegetable broth too. Homemade broth is always a nice touch.
- Beans- cannellini beans or navy beans work perfectly. Great northern beans would work well too. Be sure to drain and rinse them. You will also want to add one cup of the rinsed beans to a food processor and puree them. This helps make the soup thicker without using too much cream.
- Cream cheese– be sure it is softened and cut into small cubes. Smaller cubes will melt more quickly and evenly. If you see small white flecks in the soup, it needs to simmer longer.
- Lime juice– fresh squeezed is the best way to go.
- Heavy cream- add a small amount of heavy cream to smooth out the soup and make it the perfect texture. If you use coconut milk, be sure to shake the can well before using.
- Optional garnishes- lime wedges, cilantro, shredded cheese, avocado, sour cream, tortilla chips.
About this Soup Recipe
For this creamy white chicken chili recipe, I boiled my chicken until it was cooked through. You’ll want to make sure the internal temperature reaches 165 degrees Fahrenheit before shredding. You will also want to cut the cream cheese into small cubes before adding it to the soup. This allows it to melt more quickly and evenly. If you see small white specks in the soup, it needs more time to simmer. You can also use a whisk to gently combine the cream cheese into the bone broth.
Finally, you will see that this recipe requires you to puree some of the beans in a food processor. This step helps make the soup creamier and thicker without having to use too much heavy cream. If you skip this step, the soup will not be as creamy, but will still be delicious. If the soup begins to get too tight, simply add more chicken bone broth.
This white chicken chili recipe is perfect to enjoy through the week. Serve it warm with sliced avocado, tortilla chips, shredded cheese, and fresh chopped cilantro. Option to add a dollop of sour cream too.
Store any leftovers in a covered container in the refrigerator for three to four days. Reheat in the microwave until warmed through. Looking for more recipes?
Creamy White Chicken Chili
White Chicken Chili
- 1.5 lbs. chicken breasts, boneless and skinless, boiled and shredded
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1+¼ cup sweet onion, diced
- 1 tablespoon garlic, minced
- 1+¼ cup green bell peppers, diced
- 2 tablespoons jalapeno, minced
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
- 1 teaspoon cumin
- 1 teaspoon oregano
- 1 teaspoon salt
- ¼ teaspoon paprika
- 24 ounces chicken bone broth
- 2 cans cannellini beans, or navy beans 14.5 ounces each rinsed and drained
- 6 ounces cream cheese, softened cut into small cubes
- 1.5 tablespoons lime juice
- 2 tablespoons heavy cream, or coconut milk
- 1 pot to boil chicken
- 1 large soup pot
- food processor to buzz some of the beans
- Boil the chicken breasts in a pot of water until they reach an internal temperature of 165 degrees Fahrenheit.
- Drain the water and allow the chicken to cool before shredding. Set shredded chicken aside.
- In a large soup pot, add olive oil, diced onion and garlic. Once it’s translucent and the diced green peppers, minced jalapeno and spices. This includes, salt, cumin, oregano, chili powder and paprika. Sauté for 3-5 minutes.
- Next, add the bone broth. Stir well.
- In a food processor, add 1 cup of cannellini beans. Buzz until smooth and creamy.
- Add the pureed beans and remaining whole beans to the soup. Stir well.
- Next, add the cubed cream cheese. Once the cheese is melted, add the shredded chicken and lime juice. Stir well.
- Once the soup is well combined, you’ll add the heavy cream and simmer for a few more minutes.
- Top with shredded cheese, cilantro, sliced avocado, sour cream and tortilla chips.
4 Comments on “Creamy White Chicken Chili”
This was so delicious and super easy to make! The whole family loved it!
You NEED to make this recipe! I followed the instructions and ingredients provided and it turned out perfect. It’s not super heavy while still being very filling. Will def be making again!!
This one is a winner! So creamy and delicious. My family loved it. I used low sodium beans and rinsed them thoroughly. Great spices and flavor, but not too salty! Highly recommend.
This chicken chili was easy to make. I love the creaminess that the cream cheese creates. I’ve never made a chili that I haven’t had to add shredded cheese to……before this one. Nothing extra needed. Delicious! Do yourself a favor and make this!