Baked French Toast Breakfast Casserole
Start the day with this comforting and tasty baked French toast breakfast casserole. This recipe is out of this world delicious. While it might be more on the “ISH” side, it checks all the boxes.
The top of this dish has a perfectly crispy edge, while the middle has a custard-like, soft texture. Loaded with melted chocolate chips, cinnamon, nutmeg and vanilla, this baked French toast breakfast casserole is something the entire family will love. So, pour a hot cup of coffee, cozy up in your favorite chair and enjoy a warm bowl of this amazing casserole.
What makes it Healthyish?
Cinnamon has a lot of heath benefits. Known to lower blood sugar levels and reduce inflammation in the body. Plus, it’s packed with healthful antioxidants.
Nutmeg is great for our bodies as well. Known to aid digestion, strengthen cognitive function, and even improve our skin health.
Baked French Toast Casserole
- 10-12 slices of stale bread, 1 inch thick slices- let it sit out overnight to harden as much as possible
- 3 large eggs
- 1 ¼ cup almond milk, or 2% milk
- 1 tablespoon vanilla flavor
- ½ teaspoon ground nutmeg
- ½ tablespoon ground cinnamon
- 1 tablespoon dark brown sugar
- ¼ cup chocolate chips
- 9×5-inch ceramic loaf pan
- mixing bowl
- Preheat your oven to 400 degrees.
- Grab a 5-inch x 9-inch ceramic loaf pan and spray it with baking spray.
- Line the baking dish with your stale bread standing it upwards like a loaf of bread would look.
- ** The bread needs to be about 1 inch thick and very very stale. I let mine sit out overnight on a baking try to make sure it really dries out. This is the key to a delicious casserole. **
- In a large mixing bowl, combine the almond milk, eggs, vanilla extract, ground cinnamon, ground nutmeg, dark brown sugar and blend well. You really want to make sure that the spices mix into the liquids.
- Gently pour the liquid mixture over the bread, making sure to spoon some of the liquid in-between the slices. Once the liquid mixture has settled over and in-between the bread, the liquid should be about 1/3rd or halfway up the inside of the dish.
- Top with chocolate chips, cover with foil and bake for 35 – 40 minutes. Remove the foil and bake for an additional 5 minutes uncovered so the top gets brown and the chocolate chips melt into the dish!
- Serve with powdered sugar maple syrup or fresh banana slices.