This dish is a riff on chicken parmesan, and checks all the boxes in my book. It’s low in carbs, easy to make and so delicious. Plus, once you try this creamy cashew sauce you’ll want to smother just about anything in it.
What makes it Healthyish
I suggest baking the chicken instead of frying it and skipping the breading. (For a vegetarian twist on this meal, sub chicken stock for vegetable and serve the cashew sauce over pasta with crispy tofu.)
What You’ll Need: Serves 4
- 2 tablespoons of olive oil
- 2 tablespoon of butter
- 1 pack boneless skinless chicken breasts
- 1 medium -large sweet onion
- 3-4 small cloves of garlic or 2 teaspoon garlic paste
- 1 cup chicken broth
- 1 cup unsalted and soaked / drained cashews
- 1 can of diced tomatoes with the juice
- Shredded mozzarella
- Fresh Italian parsley
- Salt and pepper
NIGHT BEFORE: Soak unsalted cashews in a small bowl with enough water to cover them. If soaking overnight, place in refrigerator and drain off all water in the morning, making sure cashews are soft in texture. If soaking cashews in the daytime, leave them in room temperature water for 4-5 hours and then drain.
- Preheat oven to 350°F. Meanwhile, in a large saute pan combine olive oil, butter, large onion slices and garlic. Sweat the onions and garlic over medium heat until onions are translucent (not browned).
- Add chicken stock, diced tomatoes and soaked-and-drained cashews to pan. Simmer over low heat for 10 minutes, stirring gently. Add salt and pepper to taste. (For a little spice, throw in a pinch of red pepper flakes, too.
- Transfer ingredients into a blender and combine on high until a sauce that’s smooth and creamy (no chunks) in texture is achieved. Pour sauce into saute pan and warm over low heat. Then, let it reduce to a thickness of your liking. If sauce gets too thick, add in a bit more chicken broth.
- Brown chicken breasts in a skillet for 4-5 minutes on each side. Next, pour 2-3 ladles of cashew cream sauce into the bottom of an oven-safe baking dish. Gently place chicken breasts in pan and top with a sprinkle of shredded mozzarella. Wrap dish in foil.
- Bake in oven for 20 minutes. Once chicken is fully cooked, broil for an additional 2-3 minutes until cheese gets extra crispy on top. Remove from oven and garnish with fresh Italian parsley.
Serve and enjoy!
Author: Sarah Thomas-DrawbaughSarah Thomas-Drawbaugh is a recipe developer, fitness junkie and owner of the Healthyish brand. She loves taking everyday eats and making them Healthyish. Sarah defines being Healthyish as a lifestyle centered around living light, fit and fun with a healthy dose of “ISH” from time to time. Sarah’s work can be seen in Healthy-ish by Bon Appetit and Bon Appetit Magazine (digital). Sarah lives in Vail, Colorado with her husband, Dan and rescue dog, Graci!