This baked chicken with creamy cashew sauce checks all the boxes. It’s low carb, easy to make and insanely delicious. Basically, it’s a “healthified” version of chicken parmesan minus the breading and frying. This recipe is the perfect way to lighten up your weeknight meals, without sacrificing taste.
So, let’s get started!
What You’ll Need: Serves 4
- 2 tablespoons of olive oil
- 2 tablespoon of butter
- 1 pack boneless skinless chicken breasts
- 1 large sweet onion
- 3-4 cloves of garlic
- 1 cup chicken stock
- 1 cup unsalted and soaked cashews
- 1 can of diced tomatoes with the juice
- Shredded mozzarella
- Fresh Italian parsley
- Salt and pepper
Directions: Preheat oven to 350 degrees
** Buy 1 small can of unsalted cashews and soak them in water overnight. Drain off all water in the morning, making sure the cashews are soft in texture. **
- In a large sauté pan combine your olive oil, butter, sliced large onion and garlic.
- Over low to medium heat, let the onion and garlic cook until they are translucent but not browned.
- Once the onions and garlic have cooked add in 1 cup of chicken stock, 1 can of diced tomatoes, 1 cup of (soaked and drained) cashews and simmer over low heat. Stir gently.
- You will want to add salt and pepper to taste. You can also add in a few red pepper flakes if you like a little heat.
- Next, you’ll combine all of the ingredients into a Vitamix blender, and buzz everything together on high.
- Pour the cashew cream back into the pan and keep it over low heat.
- In a separate pan, we will brown the chicken breasts for 5 minutes on each side.
- Then, in an oven safe baking dish, pour 2-3 ladles of cashew cream into the bottom of the baking dish.
- Gently place the browned chicken breasts on top of the sauce.
- Sprinkle shredded mozzarella over the chicken and bake in the oven for 20 minutes.
- Once the chicken is fully cooked, broil the entire dish for 2-3 minutes or until the cheese gets extra crispy on top.
- Finish with a light dusting of fresh Italian parsley
Serve and enjoy!
Author: Sarah Thomas-DrawbaughWelcome to Healthyish! I am so glad you’re here. Together we will reinvent classic recipes and make them Healthyish. Which means they’ll include light, healthy and clean ingredients that your body will crave (with the occasional ISH). I will also be sharing some fitness and self-care tips for beginners. So, let’s get started! XOXO