Saucy Asian Meatballs
Looking for the perfect party appetizer? These saucy Asian meatballs are what you need! They’re tender, juicy and smothered in the most delicious soy glaze. Perfect for small gatherings or weeknight dinner. These saucy Asian meatballs need to be added to your next meal plan or party menu.
This recipe is so delicious and easy to make. Made from a few simple, healthy ingredients, you’ll be blown away by how much flavor these mini meatballs pack. The outside has that perfectly crispy golden-brown sear, while the center is juicy and tender. You can really taste the fresh herbs and delicious Asian inspired flavors. Topped with the silky soy glaze, these meatballs are hard to resist. I can guarantee that once you bring these out, they wont last long!
Saucy Asian Meatballs
Asian meatball mixture:
- 1 lb. ground chicken
- 1 egg
- 1/2 cup shallots – diced very small
- 1 cup panko
- 2 tablespoons soy sauce
- 1 teaspoon garlic – minced – about 2 cloves
- 1 teaspoon ginger – minced be sure to remove the skin before mincing
- 1.5 tablespoons fresh chives – chopped small
- 1/4 teaspoon onion powder
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 tablespoon sesame oil
- 2 teaspoons minced garlic
- 1 teaspoon minced ginger
- 2 tablespoons light brown sugar
- 1/4 cup soy sauce
- 1/2 cup chicken stock
- 1 teaspoon cornstarch + 1 tablespoon water – slurry
- Pinch red pepper flakes
- Sesame seeds
- 8×8 baking dish
- 11-inch skillet
- mixing bowl
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees.
- Gently spray an 8×8 baking dish with cooking spray. Set it aside.
- In a large mixing bowl combine, ground chicken, egg, soy sauce, diced shallots, minced garlic, minced ginger, chopped chives, onion powder, and salt.
- Once well blended, combine the panko breadcrumbs and form the mixture into mini meatballs. I was able to get 30 mini meatballs.
- Grab an 11-inch skillet and add 1 cup of vegetable oil. Heat the oil over medium heat.
- Once the oil is hot, begin adding the mini meatballs. Turn frequently to prevent burning.
- Once all sides are golden brown place the meatballs on a paper towel to absorb any excess oil.
- Next, place the meatballs in the prepared baking dish. Cover them with foil and finish baking them in the oven.
- I baked mine for 25-30 minutes or until the chicken is fully cooked through.
Prepare the soy glaze:
- While the meatballs bake, let’s make the soy glaze.
- In an 11-inch skillet, add the toasted sesame oil, garlic and ginger.
- Simmer over medium heat. Next, you’ll add the soy sauce, brown sugar, chicken stock and red pepper flakes. Stir well.
- As a final step, you will add the corn starch slurry. To make the slurry combine 1 teaspoon cornstarch and 1 tablesppon water.
- Simmer over low heat under the sauce reduces and becomes a glaze texture.
Assemble the dish:
- Remove the meatballs from the oven, place them in the pan with the soy glaze. Toss everything until well coated.
- Top with extra chopped chives and sesame seeds.