Saucy Asian Meatballs
Looking for the perfect party appetizer? These saucy Asian meatballs are what you need! They’re tender, juicy and smothered in the most delicious soy glaze. Perfect for small gatherings or weeknight dinner. This saucy Asian meatball recipe needs to be added to your next meal plan or party menu.
About these Asian Inspired Meatballs
This recipe is so delicious and easy to make. Made from a few simple, healthy ingredients, you’ll be blown away by how much flavor these mini meatballs pack. The outside has a perfectly crispy golden-brown sear, while the center is juicy and tender. You can really taste the fresh herbs and delicious Asian inspired flavors. Top these Asian inspired meatballs with sticky soy glaze and these meatballs are hard to resist. I can guarantee that once you bring these out, they will not last long.
Serve these meatballs with mini forks or toothpicks for easy eating. This recipe makes 28-30 mini meatballs with homemade soy glaze. If you makes these meatballs as a meal prep item through the week, serve these meatballs with cooked rice or rice noodles. You can add some steamed broccoli or bok choy. Adding the rice and vegetables make for a delicious hearty meal. Please see below for the nutritional information. It reflects the meatballs and soy glaze only.
Store any leftovers in an airtight container in the refrigerator for three to four days. Reheat these mini meatballs in the microwave until heated through. Looking for more meatball recipes? Try my BBQ chicken meatballs or my Greek meatballs with tzatziki sauce. Another tasty option are my chicken parmesan mini meatball burgers.
Saucy Asian Meatballs
Asian meatball mixture:
- 1 lb. ground chicken
- 1 large egg
- ½ cup shallots, diced very small- almost minced
- 1 cup panko breadcrumbs
- 2 tablespoons soy sauce
- 1 teaspoon garlic, minced – about 2 cloves
- 1 teaspoon ginger, minced be sure to remove the skin before mincing
- 1.5 tablespoons chives, chopped small
- ½ teaspoon onion powder
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 1 tablespoon sesame oil
- 2 teaspoons garlic, minced
- 1 teaspoon ginger, minced
- 2 tablespoons light brown sugar
- ¼ cup soy sauce
- ½ cup chicken stock
- 1 teaspoon cornstarch + 1 tablespoon water – slurry
- Pinch red pepper flakes
- Sesame seeds
- 8×8 baking dish
- 11-inch skillet
- mixing bowl
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees.
- Gently spray an 8×8 baking dish with cooking spray. Set it aside.
- In a large mixing bowl, combine ground chicken, egg, soy sauce, diced shallots, minced garlic, minced ginger, chopped chives, onion powder, and salt.
- Once well blended, fold in the panko breadcrumbs and form the mixture into mini meatballs. I was able to get 30 mini meatballs.
- Grab an 11-inch skillet and add 1 cup of vegetable oil. Heat the oil over medium heat.
- Once the oil is hot, begin adding the mini meatballs. Turn frequently to prevent burning.
- Once all sides are golden brown place the meatballs on a paper towel to absorb any excess oil.
- Next, place the meatballs in the prepared baking dish. Cover them with foil and finish baking them in the oven.
- I baked mine for 20-25 minutes or until the chicken is fully cooked through.
Prepare the soy glaze:
- While the meatballs bake, make the soy glaze.
- In an 11-inch skillet, add the toasted sesame oil, garlic and ginger.
- Simmer over medium heat. Next, you’ll add the soy sauce, brown sugar, chicken stock and red pepper flakes. Stir well.
- As a final step, you will add the corn starch slurry. To make the slurry combine 1 teaspoon cornstarch and 1 tablesppon water.
- Simmer over low heat under the sauce reduces and becomes a glaze texture.
Assemble the dish:
- Remove the meatballs from the oven, place them in the pan with the soy glaze. Toss everything until well coated.
- Top with extra chopped chives and sesame seeds.