Veggie Soup with Orzo Pasta
Soup season is upon us! Which is why you need to try this veggie soup with orzo pasta recipe. This soup recipe is easy to make and packed with tons of immune-boosting vitamins our bodies crave in the fall.
The veggies are tender and flavorful. They taste delicious with the simple, healthy broth and the al dente orzo pasta. I like to serve this veggie soup with orzo pasta with a side of warm naan bread. However, a thick slice of French bread with butter would taste amazing too.
This soup is completely satisfying yet light and healthy. The perfect combo any night of the week.
Veggie Soup with Orzo Pasta
- 8 ounces orzo pasta
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 3 medium sized carrots , washed, peeled and sliced using a mandoline for even slicing
- 5 stalks of celery , left whole as they will be removed later
- 1 medium onion yellow or white will work , diced
- 1 medium yellow squash , core out the center using a spoon to prevent the squash from getting soggy. Dice into nickel sized pieces.
- 1 medium zucchini , core out the center using a spoon to prevent the squash from getting soggy. Dice into nickel sized pieces.
- 1 can chickpeas , rinsed, drained and remove the skin
- 1 can crushed tomatoes – with juice, 15 ounces
- 1 large red bell pepper , cored and diced into small pieces
- 1 32 oz container of organic chicken broth, extra bouillon cubes if desired
- 1 lemon – fresh squeezed about 2 tablespoons
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- pepper to taste
- grilled tortilla or naan bread
- lemon wedge
- fresh chopped Italian parsley
- red pepper flakes
- soup pot
- pasta pot
Prepare the pasta:
- Boil pot of water and cook the orzo pasta according to the package. Al dente preferred as the pasta will continue cooking in the soup. Once cooked, drain off the pasta water using a colander.
- Drizzle the cooked orzo pasta with olive oil and set it aside.
Prepare the soup:
- Add butter and olive oil to a large soup pot over medium/low heat.
- Next, add the sliced carrots and stalks of celery. Leave the celery whole as it will be removed later.
- Add the diced onion, zucchini, red bell pepper and squash. Stir well.
- Then, you’ll add a 32oz container of organic chicken or vegetable stock. I like to use Pacific brand organic chicken stock. Option to add a chicken bouillon cube for more flavor.
- Next, add in 1 can of crushed tomatoes, with juice.
- Add the drained, rinsed and destined chickpeas.
- Season everything with salt, pepper, and red pepper flakes for a touch of spice.
- Let everything simmer for 30-40 minutes over low to medium heat.
- Next, you’ll remove celery stalks from the soup.
- Squeeze in 2 tablespoons of fresh squeezed lemon juice. Stir well and enjoy!
TIP: Do NOT add the orzo pasta into the soup until you are ready to serve it. That way it will not soak up all of your broth. Store the orzo separately and add it to the soup as needed.
Assemble the dish:
- Grab a small bowl and add a few spoonfuls of orzo pasta.
- Ladle some of the veggie soup with broth on top of the pasta.
- Garnish the soup with a slice of fresh lemon, chopped parsley and naan bread.