Spicy Ramen Noodles
Made mostly from pantry staples, this spicy ramen noodle recipe will be added to my go-to “easy dinner” list. It’s affordable, simple and comes together in under 20 minutes. Perfect for nights when you want a delicious, healthy meal fast.
You can dress up this spicy ramen noodle recipe up by adding your favorite protein. I added a poached egg to my ramen, but if you substitute tofu, this recipe is completely vegan. Some additional topping ideas include, adding crushed peanuts or cashews. Toasted sesame seeds or chopped scallions would also add a ton of flavor to this recipe.
Ramen Noodles with Spicy Sauce
- 2 tablespoons vegan butter, Earth Balance brand
- 1 tablespoon toasted sesame oil
- 2 teaspoons garlic , minced small – about 2 cloves
- 1.5 teaspoons fresh ginger, remove the skin before mincing
- 2-3 tablespoons liquid amino
- ¼ cup veggie stock or mushroom stock
Ramen and veggies:
- 2 blocks ramen noodles – do not use the seasoning packet, I used Top Ramen brand. I cooked the noodles with water in the microwave for about 3 minutes to soften them. no seasoning packets.
- ½ cup yellow or white onion, diced
- 1 red bell pepper, julienned or sliced thinly
- 8 oz sliced button mushrooms
- ¼ teaspoon red pepper flakes
- salt and pepper, to taste
- poached egg
- crushed peanuts
- sesame seeds
- saute pan
Prepare the dish:
- In a large sauté pan over medium heat, add 1 tablespoon of earth balance butter and 1 tablespoon of toasted sesame oil.
- Next, you’ll add in the minced garlic and ginger. Let this simmer until it begins to brown.
- Next, you’ll add diced onion, sliced button mushrooms, and julienned red pepper slices. Stir well.
- Once they begin to brown, deglaze the pan with the veggie stock and liquid amino. Stir well making sure to scrape up all of the crispy bits in the bottom of the pan.
- While the veggies are cooking, you’ll prepare the ramen noodles. I used Top Ramen brand ramen noodles. I cooked two blocks of ramen noodles (without seasoning) for about 3 minutes in the microwave (with water) to simply loosen the noodles. You don’t want to cook the noodles for too long otherwise they will get too mushy in the dish.
- Once the noodles are soft but still al dente, drain them and add them into the sauté pan with the veggies. Stir well so the noodles begin to soak up the sauce and flavors.
- Top with a pinch of red pepper flakes, salt and ground pepper. Stir well.
- Let everything simmer in the pan until the noodles begin to get slightly crispy on the edges. Once this happens you can turn off the heat, top with your favorite toppings and serve.
- I topped my dish with a poached egg, crushed peanuts, scallions and extra red pepper flakes, but you can customize it how you see fit!