Homemade Vegetable Bolognese
My homemade vegetable bolognese is thick, hearty and loaded with nutrient-dense veggies. This delicious sauce recipe will fill you up without slowing you down. It’s the perfect healthy dinner recipe that the entire family will love. Made from a few simple, healthy ingredients, you can feel good serving this vegetable bolognese recipe to your family.
About this recipe
Traditional bolognese is made with ground beef and pork. However, to keep things vegetable forward, I substituted the red meat for baby bella mushrooms instead. Baby bella mushrooms have a meat like texture and keep this sauce recipe feeling hearty and satisfying. They taste amazing when cooked with all of the other vegetables in this recipe.
I enjoyed this homemade vegetable bolognese over a plate of cooked egg noodles. However, you can serve it over your favorite cut of pasta. Penne, bowtie or cavatappi would all work great. You could also go with a traditional spaghetti cut as well. As a lower carb option, enjoy this sauce smothered over some pan roasted chicken breasts. This bolognese recipe is so good, you’ll have this healthy sauce added to your weekly rotation in no time.
Store any leftover sauce in an airtight container in the refrigerator for four-five days. To reheat the sauce, simply microwave it in a microwave safe dish until it is heated through. Enjoy this sauce over pasta, chicken, tofu and more. Looking for more delicious pasta recipes? Try my shellbow pasta with quick red sauce, mushrooms and spinach.
Homemade Veggie Bolognese
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 cloves garlic , minced
- 1 medium sweet onion , about 1 cup, diced small
- 2 large carrots , about 1 cup, peeled and diced
- 1 cup cauliflower pearls, you can get these from the store
- 1 can tomato sauce, 15 ounce can
- 1 tablespoon tomato paste
- 8 ounces baby bella mushrooms , rinsed, dried and quartered
- ½ cup red table wine
- ½ cup chicken or vegetable stock
- ¼ cup mascarpone cheese
- salt and pepper to taste
- Red pepper flakes
- Parmesan cheese
- food processor
- Covered saute pan
- pasta pot
- In a non-stick sauté pan over medium heat, add the olive oil and butter.
- Next, add the minced garlic and simmer until fragrant.
- Then, you will add the diced onions and simmer until they are translucent.
- Next, you will add the chopped carrots and cauliflower pearls. Stir well.
- Once the veggies begin to soften, add in 1 can of tomato sauce, 1 tablespoon tomato paste, chicken or veggie stock, and red wine. Stir well.
- Next, you will add the quartered mushrooms.
- Season the sauce with salt and pepper. Option to add a pinch of red chili flakes for a little heat.
- Cover the sauce, and reduce the heat to low. Simmer for 20-25 minutes or until the sauce begins to reduce and thicken.
- Once the sauce is almost ready, stir in the mascarpone cheese. This will soften the acid in the dish and make it nice and creamy.
- Serve over your favorite pasta and enjoy!