Healthy, light yet completely satisfying this caprese grilled chicken paillard is such a delicious recipe. The chicken is fork tender and the caprese topping can’t be beat.
Loaded with protein, this recipe will keep you feeling full without the guilt. Plus, any leftover caprese mozzarella topping can be used the next day on a panini sandwich or on top of grilled fish. Simple, easy to make and delicious! What more can you ask for?
Caprese Grilled Chicken Paillard
- mixing bowl
- 1.5 lbs. chicken breast – thin cut will work well too
- 4 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 cloves garlic thinly sliced or minced
- 2 tablespoons chopped parsley
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ¼ teaspoon pepper
Caprese Mozzarella Topping
- 1.5 cups sliced cherry or grape tomatoes
- 1 cup mozzarella pearls
- 1/2 cup diced shallots or sweet onion
- 2 tablespoon fresh chopped basil
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- salt and pepper pinch of each
- 1-2 tablespoons balsamic reduction as a finishing touch
- Preheat your grill to 400 degrees.
- If your chicken breasts are thick, butterfly them (cut them in half) and add them to a Ziploc bag. Gently pound the chicken using the soft side of a mallet. You will want the chicken to be about ¼ inch thick.
- Once the chicken is pounded thin, add the olive oil, thinly sliced or minced garlic, chopped parsley, salt and pepper to the Ziploc bag.
- Zip the bag closed and massage the chicken making sure it is evenly coated in the marinade.
- Leave the chicken to marinate for 20-25 minutes before grilling.
- While the chicken is marinating, you’ll prepare the caprese topping.
- Slice the cherry or grape tomatoes in halves.
- Add the sliced tomatoes and mozzarella pearls into a mixing bowl.
- Next, you'll finely dice the shallots and chop the fresh basil.
- Add the basil, shallots and olive oil into the mixing bowl with the tomato / mozzarella mixture. Season with a pinch of salt and pepper. Toss everything together until well combined. Set aside.
- Carefully place a sheet of foil on the preheated grill.
- Place the chicken on the foil, since it is coated in the olive oil mixture it will not stick.
- Grill for about 3 minutes on each side. Since it is pounded thin, it will cook pretty quickly.
- Remove from the grill and arrange the chicken on a platter. Top with the caprese topping and a light drizzle of balsamic reduction.
- Serve immediately and enjoy!
Author: Sarah Thomas-DrawbaughSarah Thomas-Drawbaugh is a recipe developer and creator of the brand, Healthyish Foods®. Sarah makes plant-based, fish and chicken recipes that are simple and delicious. Her work can be seen in Healthy-ish by Bon Appetit and Bon Appetit Magazine (digital), Women’s Health Magazine (digital) and Mind Body Green. Sarah is a Pittsburgh, PA native but currently lives in Vail, Colorado with her husband, Dan and rescue dog, Graci!