Chicken Enchilada Pasta
Quick, creamy and easy to make this chicken enchilada pasta recipe is perfect any night of the week. Made from a few pantry staples, this easy dinner recipe will become a weeknight go-to. Plus, you only need 30 minutes to make this easy chicken dinner recipes.
About this Chicken Enchilada Pasta Recipe
This chicken enchilada pasta recipe includes a variety of summer produce. Making this recipe perfect for those weeks when you need to clean out the refrigerator but don’t know what to make.
When boiling the pasta make sure to cook it al dente. The pasta will continue to cook in the sauce. Reserve about 1/4 cup of pasta water to add to the sauce.
Season the chicken with salt and pepper before adding it to a non-stick skillet over medium heat. Cook the chicken for 5-6 minutes per side. You’ll want the internal temperature to be 165 degrees Fahrenheit to ensure doneness. Once the chicken is cooked through, set it aside to rest. Cooking time will vary based on the thickness of the chicken. Option to butterfly the breasts for quick, even cooking.
After the pasta and chicken are cooked, you’ll begin the sauce. Grab an oven safe saute pan and add the olive oil, garlic and diced onion over medium high heat. Season with a pinch of salt and pepper. Once the onion and garlic are soft and fragrant, add the red bell peppers and tomatoes. Saute for 4-5 minutes before adding the enchilada sauce and cream cheese. Use a whisk to make sure the cream cheese is well incorporated.
Once the sauce simmers for a few minutes, add the cooked pasta and some of the reserved pasta water. Toss until the pasta is well coated and the sauce has reduced to your liking. Next, nestle in the chicken breasts. Top the dish with mozzarella cheese, then broil for 2-3 minutes until the cheese is melted and bubbly.
Top the entire dish with grilled corn kernels, sliced jalapeno, minced black olives, chopped scallions and fresh sliced avocado. You can also serve a few fresh lime wedges on the side. Serve hot. This chicken enchilada pasta recipe makes four light dinner servings or two hearty servings. Please see below for nutritional information.
Store any leftover chicken enchilada pasta in an airtight container in the refrigerator for three to four days. Reheat in the microwave until heated through. Looking for something sweet to finish off the evening? Try my Peanut Butter Cookies.
Chicken Enchilada Pasta
- 8 ounces rigatoni, al dente, reserve some pasta water
- 1 pound chicken breasts, boneless, skinless about 2 breasts
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- ¾ cup sweet onion, diced small
- ¾ cup red bell pepper, diced small
- 1 cup cherry tomatoes, left whole or halved
- 1 can red enchilada sauce, 15 ounce can
- ¼ cup pasta water , add as needed
- ½ cup whipped cream cheese
- ½ cup shredded mozzarella cheese
- 2 ears corn, grilled corn about 1/2 cup
- 2 tablespoons jalapeno, thinly sliced, remove seeds and veins
- ¼ cup black olives, diced small
- ½ avocado, peeled, pitted and sliced
- 2 tablespoons scallions, chopped
- 1 pasta pot
- 1 colander
- 1 oven safe saute pan
- 1 skillet
- Boil a pot of water and cook the pasta according to the package. Al dente is best. Reserve about 1/4 cup pasta water for the sauce. Drain the remaining water in a colander and set the pasta aside.
- Next, season your chicken with a pinch of salt and black pepper. Then, add olive oil to a non-stick skillet and cook the chicken breasts. The internal temperature should reach 165 degree to ensure doneness. Cooking time will vary based on thickness of the chicken.
- Grab a large, oven safe sauté pan and place it over medium heat. Add olive oil, diced onion, minced garlic, salt and pepper. Saute until the onions are lightly browned.
- Next, add the diced red bell peppers and cherry tomatoes. Stir well. Once the tomatoes begin to blister, add the enchilada sauce and cream cheese. Stir until well combined.
- Add the cooked pasta and some of the reserved pasta water. Toss until the pasta is well coated and the sauce has reduced to your liking.
- Next, gently nestle the cooked chicken breasts into the pasta. Top everything with the mozzarella cheese and broil the entire dish in the oven for 2-3 minutes or until the cheese begins to bubble and lightly brown.
- Garnish with sliced jalapeno, diced black olives, chopped scallions, sliced avocado and grilled corn kernels. Serve hot.