For my first ever rendition of Healthyish pantry pasta, I decided to make lasagna roll-ups. They are easy to make, filling and delicious. Plus, they’re made from simple ingredients that you can find in your refrigerator or pantry. After all, what’s better than a tasty plate of cheesy pasta after a long week? This lasagna recipe is definitely the perfect way to get the weekend started.
What I love about these lasagna roll-ups is that they are easy to make and fully customizable. Dan decided last minute that he wanted some ground beef, so I simply browned the beef in a pan and added the meat to half of the roll-ups. The other half were cheese, which was perfect for me.
When I made these roll-ups, I used my quick homemade red sauce. But store-bought sauce will work perfectly too. Whatever is easiest after a long week. The goal of this meal is keeping it simple, so no pressure to make a homemade sauce.
- 1 lb. lasagna noodles
- 1 cup mozzarella , shredded or sliced will work. This goes on top of the pasta before it bakes.
- 1 jar red sauce , your favorite brand will work fine.
- 2.5 cups ricotta cheese, part skim
- 2.5 cups shredded mozzarella
- 1 cup grated parmesan cheese
- 1 egg plus 1 egg yolk
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon onion powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 2 teaspoons oregano
- fresh chopped parsley
- red pepper flakes
- cracked black pepper
- pasta pot
- sauce pot
- baking dish 9 x 13
- baking tray
- mixing bowl
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees.
- Gently spray a 9×13-inch baking dish with baking spray. Set it aside.
- Boil a pot of water and cook the noodles according to the package. Al dente prefered because they will continue to cook in the oven.
- Once the noodles are cooked, drain them using a colander and drizzle them with olive oil to prevent sticking. Set aside.
- Heat your homemade red sauce or a jar of your favorite red sauce in a small sauce pot. Stir occasionally.
Next, you’ll prepare the cheese filling.
- In a large mixing bowl combine, ricotta cheese, shredded mozzarella, parmesan cheese, 1 egg and 1 egg yolk, garlic powder, onion powder, salt, pepper, and oregano. Stir until well combined.
- Grab your prepared baking dish and add 1-2 ladles of your red sauce to the bottom. Spread it out across the bottom of the dish.
- Next, you’ll line a baking tray with a 4-5 cooked pasta noodles. Using a spoon, smear a good amount of cheese filling on the noodle. Roll the noodle up and place it in the baking dish. Continue until all of the noodles are rolled.
- I was able to make 20 roll-ups. I had three rows of five roll-ups on the bottom of the baking dish; but had to stack the last five roll-ups on top of the center row.
- Top with more sauce, about 2-3 ladles and sliced mozzarella. Bake covered with foil for 25-30 minutes. Remove the foil and broil for 2-3 minutes until the cheese gets extra bubbly and lightly browned.
- Let the lasagana roll-ups stand for 10 minutes before serving. This will help prevent the cheese from running out of the sides.
- Serve and enjoy!