Honey Mustard Potato Salad
Sweet, tangy and delicious this honey mustard potato salad will be your new summer side dish recipe. The stone ground mustard tastes so good with the sweet honey, tangy apple cider vinegar and seasonings. Tossed with the tender mini potatoes, sliced egg, crispy bacon, shallots and dill and this is a match made in summer side-dish heaven.
About the recipe
For this recipe, I used Inglehoffer stone ground mustard. The grainy texture of the mustard goes so well with the potatoes. I also used a combination of Tasteful’s honey gold and ruby sensation nibble potatoes in this recipe. They were tender and easy to eat. I also really liked that they didn’t make the potato salad to starchy. The nibbles offered the perfect texture and flavor to this recipe.
When making the hard-boiled eggs, I cooked the eggs for 11-12 minutes. I wanted to make sure that the yolk was fully cooked through. For easy to peel eggs, add them to the pot of water and allow the water and eggs come to a boil together. Start the timer once the water reaches its boiling point.
You can enjoy this potato salad with grilled salmon, chicken or even crispy tofu. It’s the perfect summer side dish. Since this potato salad recipe doesn’t call for mayonnaise, it has a nice and light feel. So, if you’re looking for a delicious and healthy recipe to add to your picnic rotation, this is it. I can guarantee that your friends and family will fall in love with this dish.
Refrigerate the potato salad in an airtight container for 30-60 minutes before serving. This will allow the flavors to develop. You can also store any leftover honey mustard potato salad in the same container. It will stay fresh in your refrigerator for 3-4 days.
Honey Mustard Potato Salad
Honey mustard dressing
- 1/4 cup stone ground mustard
- 1/4 cup honey
- 1 tablespoon apple cider vinegar
- 1/2 teaspoon paprika
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
Potato salad ingredients
- 1/2 lb. ruby sensation nibbles, Tasteful brand
- 1 lb. honey gold nibbles, Tasteful brand
- 5 slices center cut bacon , cut into small pieces
- 3 eggs hard-boiled , sliced thin
- 1/4 cup fresh chopped dill
- 1/2 cup diced shallots
- 2 tablespoons scallions , chopped as a garnish
- few turns cracked black pepper
- pot to boil potatoes
- pot to boil eggs
- Mixing bowl for dressing
- Large mixing bowl for the potato salad
- 11-inch non-stick skillet for the bacon
Prepare the potatoes:
- Rinse the potatoes in a colander and slice them in half.
- Boil a pot of water and add the mini potato halves to the water.
- Boil for 15-16 minutes or until the potatoes are fork tender.
- Drain off the water using a colander and set them aside to cool.
Prepare the eggs:
- Add 3-4 eggs to a pot with water, make sure the water covers the eggs.
- Let the eggs and the water come to a boil. Cook for 11-12 minutes for hard-boiled yolks.
- Remove the eggs form the water and let them cool before peeling and slicing.
Prepare the bacon, shallots, dill and scallions:
- Grab an 11-inch non-stick skillet and place it over medium heat.
- Using kitchen shears, cut the bacon into thin strips. About ½ inch wide.
- Add the bacon to the skillet and cook it until it is crispy. Add the pieces to a paper towel to absorb any excess grease.
- Next, dice the shallots, chop the dill and dice some scallions as a garnish. Set aside.
Prepare the dressing:
- In a small mixing bowl, combine the honey, apple cider vinegar, stone ground mustard, salt and paprika. Mix until well combined.
Assemble the potato salad:
- Once the potatoes have cooled, add them to a large mixing bowl, combine them with the diced shallots, chopped dill, honey mustard dressing, and bacon. Toss until everything is well coated in the dressing.
- Add the potato salad to a platter, add the sliced eggs and top it with the fresh chopped scallions and a pinch of salt and pepper.
- Serve and enjoy.