Looking for a delicious party appetizer? Try my crispy and cheesy zucchini roll-ups. They are always a crowd pleaser and perfect for any gathering. Fancy enough for the holidays but easy enough for game day! .
During the Super Bowl specifically, I try to make easy appetizers that can be eaten and shared in-between plays. I prefer to keep things simple, especially on game day. My go to spread is always finger foods. They are easy to grab and a great way of keeping things casual.
I tested this zucchini roll-up recipe over the weekend, and after seeing how fast these zucchini roll-ups disappeared, it’s safe to say that this recipe will be on my Super Bowl menu. The crispy zucchini tastes so good with the spicy red sauce. And when you add the melted mozzarella cheese, game over. (pun intended)
So, let’s get started!
- baking tray to lay the breaded zucchini on
- baking dish
- 2 plates
- 1 large zucchini
- 1 large egg
- 2 tablespoons 2% milk
- 1 cup ap flour all puporse
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- black pepper to taste
- 1 cup vegetable oil this is for frying the zucchini - you may need more / less depending on how many strips you get from your zucchini
- 1 cup shredded mozzarella cheese
- red sauce - store bought is fine
- Preheat your oven to 350 degrees.
- Grab your mandoline and evenly slice the zucchini into thin strips.
Prepare the breading station:
- Next, you'll grab two plates and mix together the ap flour, salt and pepper on one plate. Then, you'll whisk the egg and combine it with the milk on a second plate.
- Grab a medium to large sized saute pan.
- Add the vegetable oil to the pan. You will want about a ½ inch of oil in the pan. Heat over medium-high heat.
Bread the zucchini:
- As the oil is heating, you will begin to prepare and bread your zucchini strips.
- First, you will take one zucchini strip at a time and dip it into the flour mixture. Coat evenly.
- Next, you will dip each strip into the egg mixture. Completely coat both sides and then dip each strip back into the flour. So, flour - egg wash - back in the flour.
- Repeat this process until all of your zucchini strips are breaded.
- Next, you are going to want to slowly add your zucchini strips into the hot oil.
- I fry about three strips at a time. You do not want to overcrowd your pan. It will decrease the oil temperature and the zucchini will be mushy, not crispy.
- Repeat this process until all of your zucchini are lightly browned and crispy. Set them on a paper towel to allow any excess oil to be absorbed.
- Next, you are going to sprinkle shredded mozzarella cheese on top of the zucchini strip. Gently roll the zucchini strip into rolls. The breading may crack a bit, but that's ok.
- Finally, you are going to coat an oven safe baking dish with your favorite red sauce. I use Delallo Spicy Arrabbiata Sauce but my Healthyish quick red sauce recipe works great too.
- Bake in the oven for 15-18 minutes or until the cheese is melted.
Author: Sarah Thomas-Drawbaugh
Sarah Thomas-Drawbaugh is a recipe developer and creator of the brand, Healthyish Foods®. Sarah makes plant-based, fish and chicken recipes that are simple and delicious. Her work can be seen in Healthy-ish by Bon Appetit and Bon Appetit Magazine (digital), Women’s Health Magazine (digital) and Mind Body Green. Sarah is a Pittsburgh, PA native but currently lives in Vail, Colorado with her husband, Dan and rescue dog, Graci!