Anytime I have guests over to my home, I always have a tasty spread of food out for everyone to enjoy. Typically, I try to make easy appetizer recipes that can be eaten in-between plays. I prefer to keep things simple, especially on game day. And finger foods are a great way of keeping it casual. I tested this recipe over the weekend and after seeing how fast these zucchini roll-ups disappeared, it’s safe to say that this recipe will be on my Super Bowl menu. The crispy zucchini tastes so good with the spicy red sauce. And when you add in the melted mozzarella cheese, game over. (pun intended)
So, let’s get started!
What You’ll Need:
2 tablespoons milk
1 cup flour
salt and pepper to taste
shredded mozzarella cheese
Directions – Serves 3-4
- Preheat your oven to 350 degrees.
- Grab your mandolin and evenly slice your zucchini into thin strips.
- Get two plates and mix together the flour, salt and pepper on one plate and the egg and milk on another plate
- Grab a medium to large sized sauté pan.
- Add in your vegetable oil. You will want about a ½ inch of oil in the pan. Heat over medium high heat
- As the oil is heating, you will begin to prepare and bread your zucchini strips.
- First, you will take one zucchini strip at a time and dip it into the flour mixture. Coat evenly.
- Next, you will dip each strip into the egg mixture. Completely coat both sides and then dip each strip back into the flour. So flour, egg, flour.
- Repeat this process until all of your zucchini strips are breaded.
- Next, you are going to want to slowly add your zucchini strips into the oil.
- I fry about three strips at a time. You do not want to overcrowd your pan. It will decrease the oil temperature and the zucchini will be mushy.
- Repeat this process until all of your zucchini are lightly browned and crispy. Set them on some paper towel and allow them to cool.
- Next, you are going to sprinkle some mozzarella cheese on top of the zucchini strip. Gently roll the zucchini
- Finally, you are going to coat an oven safe baking dish with your favorite red sauce. Sometimes, I will use Delallo Spicy Arrabbiata Sauce but my Healthyish Red Pepper Sauce recipe works great too.
- Bake in the oven for 10 -15 minutes. Broil for the last few minutes, or until the cheese is crispy on top.
Serve and Enjoy.
Author: Sarah Thomas-Drawbaugh
Welcome to Healthyish! I am so glad you’re here.
Together we will reinvent classic recipes and make them Healthyish.
Which means they’ll include light, healthy and clean ingredients that your body will crave (with the occasional ISH). I will also be sharing some fitness and self-care tips for beginners.
So, let’s get started!