Blackened Ahi Tuna Bowls
Light, healthy and delicious these blackened ahi tuna bowls are perfect for lunch or dinner. Made from simple ingredients, you can feel good making this ahi tuna steak recipe for your family.
Tuna, Rice, and Garnishes
- 12 ounces sushi grade ahi tuna, 1.5 inch thick, see above from prepping info
- ½ cup uncooked white rice, cook according to the package, about 1.5 cups cooked
- 1 large avocado, peeled, pitted, and sliced
- 1 large red bell pepper , julienne or slice thin
- 1 cup English cucumber, remove core, julienne or slice thin
- 1 jalapeno, remove seeds and veins, dice small
- ¼ cup scallions, sliced
- ¼ cup crushed peanuts, crush in a ziplock bag using a mallet
- 2 tablespoons furikake, or toasted sesame seeds
Prepare the blackening spice:
In a small bowl, combine dried oregano, paprika, onion powder, garlic powder, salt, black pepper, dried mustard, ginger powder, cayenne pepper and stir well. Set aside.
Prepare the ahi tuna:
Gently pat the tuna steak dry using a paper towel. You want to absorb as much excess moisture as possible.
Gently rub the entire tuna steak with the blackening spice. You’ll want it to be well coated.
Heat a 9-inch non-stick skillet over medium heat. Add 1 tablespoon vegetable oil.
Sear the 1.5-inch-thick tuna for 45-60 seconds on each side, using tongs to turn it. This will give you a seared-rare tuna steak.
Remove the tuna from the pan and set it aside to cool.
Prepare the peanut sauce:
In a small bowl combine, peanut butter, soy sauce, honey, sriracha, lime juice and water. Mix until well combined and smooth.
Assemble the dish:
Grab a bowl and line the bottom with rice.
Add the sliced tuna on top of the rice. Neatly tuck all of the veggies around the tuna.
Top with crushed peanuts, sesame seeds or furikake.
Serve with your peanut sauce and a side of soy sauce and wasabi.
Serving: 1serving, Calories: 484kcal, Carbohydrates: 38g, Protein: 31g, Fat: 25g, Saturated Fat: 5g, Polyunsaturated Fat: 6g, Monounsaturated Fat: 12g, Cholesterol: 32mg, Sodium: 998mg, Potassium: 870mg, Fiber: 8g, Sugar: 9g, Vitamin A: 3441IU, Vitamin C: 68mg, Calcium: 74mg, Iron: 3mg