Wendy’s Spicy Chicken Sandwich
Heat up your weeknight routine with this copycat Wendy’s spicy chicken sandwich. It’s easy to make and loaded with finger-licking flavor. What’s great is that this spicy chicken sandwich recipe comes together very quickly. Making this a fun and playful meal that the entire family will love. Not big on spicy buffalo sauce? Try your favorite BBQ sauce instead.
About this recipe
This crispy chicken sandwich reminds me of Wendy’s spicy chicken sandwich. I used to eat them all the time growing up and was obsessed. Just like Wendy’s, the chicken is tender and juicy on the inside with a perfectly crispy outside.
I topped this copycat spicy chicken sandwich recipe with fresh crisp lettuce, sliced tomatoes, and spicy pickles. Wendy’s also adds a layer of mayonnaise to their sandwich which I chose to skip. However, you could add it for an extra layer of flavor. Alternatively, you can use a side of ranch or blue cheese dressing for dipping too. Enjoy with some crispy French fries and you are in for one tasty copycat Wendy’s spicy chicken sandwich meal.
How to fry chicken tenderloins
When prepping the chicken to be fried, allow it to rest at room temperature for 10-15 minutes before breading. Next, you will dredge the chicken through the flour spice mixture, followed by the whisked egg, then back through the flour spice mixture. Make sure it is well coated each time. Heat vegetable oil in a pan until it reaches 350 degrees Fahrenheit. Slowly add the chicken, two pieces at a time to the hot oil. Fry until golden brown on both sides. You will want the internal temperature to reach 165 degrees Fahrenheit to ensure doneness. In the event that the chicken isn’t fully cooked through, finish it in the oven for 10-15 minutes at 400 degrees.
Be sure to toast the buns with a little butter before building the sandwich. Simply add about one tablespoon of butter to the inside of the bun and place it on a hot pan. The pan will toast the buttered bun and give it a light golden sear. It takes this sandwich to the next level.
This recipe makes four spicy chicken sandwiches. The nutritional information below includes two pieces of chicken per sandwich. Please see below for more information.
Best if eaten the same day. However, any leftover spicy chicken can be stored in an airtight container in the refrigerator for three to four days. Enjoy leftover chicken on salads, inside of wraps, or on its own. However, this chicken is so good I don’t think you’ll have much leftover. Looking for more chicken recipes? Try my honey sriracha chicken and waffles or my chicken apple sliders. Both are quick, delicious recipes.
Copycat Wendy’s Spicy Chicken Sandwich
- 1 lb. chicken tenderloins , about 8 pieces boneless, skinless
- 1 cup AP flour , all purpose flour, for breading the chicken
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ½ teaspoon black pepper
- ½ teaspoon dried mustard
- 1 teaspoon paprika
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 2 large eggs, whisked
- 1 cup vegetable oil , for frying, you can also use an air fryer if you prefer
Spicy Buffalo Sauce
- ¼ cup butter, salted, 4 tablespoons
- ¾ cup hot sauce, I used Frank’s red hot
- ¼ teaspoon garlic powder
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- ⅛ teaspoon pepper
Bun / Toppings
- 4 sandwich buns, King’s Hawaiian or St. Pierre Burger Buns
- ¼ cup butter, used to butter the buns, about 1 tablespoon per bun
- 4 pieces iceberg lettuce, washed and dried
- 1 large heirloom tomato, sliced thick
- ½ cup pickles, bread and butter chips or spicy chips work best
- ¼ cup mayonnaise, about 1 tablespoon per sandwich
- 9-inch saute pan for frying chicken
- 3 plates for breading chicken
- mixing bowl to toss chicken with sauce
- saucepan for spicy sauce
- Preheat the oven to 400 degrees.
- Grab a baking tray and set it aside.
Prepare the chicken:
- Let the chicken sit at room temp for 15-20 minutes before breading.
- Grab three plates.
- On the first plate, combine the AP flour, salt, pepper, garlic salt, paprika and dried mustard powder. Mix well.
- On the second plate, add two whisked eggs.
- Begin by dredging the chicken tenderloins through the flour, followed by the egg, then back through the flour. Repeat until all chicken is breaded.
- Place the breaded pieces on the third plate.
- Heat the vegetable oil over medium / high heat in an 9-inch sauté pan.
- Once the oil is hot, or reaches 350 degrees Fahrenheit, you can begin to carefully lower 2 pieces of chicken into the oil.
- Flip the chicken after a few minutes. Once it is golden brown on both sides, place it on a paper towel to absorb any excess oil. Repeat until all of the chicken is crispy.
- Next, we will place the chicken on the baking tray and bake it in the oven for 10 more minutes or until the internal temperature reaches 165 degrees.
- Remove the chicken from the oven. And set it aside.
Prepare the spicy buffalo sauce:
- In a saucepan, over medium heat combine butter, hot sauce, garlic powder, salt and pepper. Stir until well combined.
- Pour the sauce in a mixing bowl and toss it with the crispy chicken. Set it aside.
Prepare the buns:
- Butter the inside of the buns.
- Next, add them to a skillet over medium / high heat. They will begin to get slightly crispy and golden-brown. Remove them from the heat and set them aside.
Assemble the sandwich:
- Take the toasted buns and add the lettuce, tomatoes, spicy chicken and pickles. Add any desired dressing or mayonnaise.