Wendy’s Copycat Spicy Chicken Sandwich
Heat up your weeknight routine with this Wendy’s copycat spicy chicken sandwich. It’s easy to make and loaded with finger-licking flavor. What’s great is that this recipe comes together very quickly. Making this a fun and playful meal the entire family will love. Not big on spicy buffalo sauce? Try your favorite BBQ sauce instead.
This buffalo chicken sandwich reminds me of Wendy’s spicy chicken sandwich. I used to eat them all the time growing up and was obsessed. Just like Wendy’s, the chicken is tender and juicy on the inside with a perfectly crispy outside.
Like Wendy’s traditional sandwich, I topped mine with fresh crisp lettuce, sliced tomatoes, and spicy pickles. Wendy’s also adds a layer of mayonnaise to their sandwich. However, you could use a side of ranch or blue cheese dressing for dipping too. Enjoy with some crispy French fries and you are in for one tasty copycat Wendy’s spicy chicken sandwich meal.
Any leftover chicken can be used on salads, inside of wraps, or enjoyed on its own. However, this chicken is so good I don’t think you’ll have much leftover.
Copycat Wendy’s Spicy Chicken Sandwich
- 1 lb. Smart Chicken Tenderloin , about 8 pieces boneless skinless
- 1 cup ap flour , all purpose flour
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ½ teaspoon black pepper
- ½ teaspoon dried mustard
- 1 teaspoon paprika
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 2 large eggs whisked
- 2 cups vegetable oil for frying , you can also use an air fryer if you prefer
Spicy Buffalo Sauce
- 4 tablespoons butter, salted
- 3/4 cup hot sauce, I used Frank’s red hot
- 1/4 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon pepper
Bun / Toppings
- 4 sandwich buns , I like King’s Hawaiian or St. Pierre Burger Buns
- 4 tablespoons butter , used to butter the buns – about 1 tablespoon per bun
- iceberg lettuce, washed and dried
- 1 large heirloom tomato, sliced thick
- 1 cup pickles , bread and butter chips or spicy chips work best
- Hellman’s mayonnaise, smear as desired
- 11-inch saute pan for frying chicken
- 3 plates for breading chicken
- mixing bowl for toss chicken in sauce
- saucepan for spicy sauce
- Preheat the oven to 400 degrees.
- Grab a baking tray and set it aside.
Prepare the chicken:
- Let the chicken sit at room temp for 15-20 minutes before breading.
- Grab three plates.
- One the first plate, combine the ap flour, salt, pepper, garlic salt, paprika and dried mustard powder. Mix well.
- One the second plate, add two whisked eggs.
- Begin by dredging the chicken tenderloins through the flour.
- Next, you’ll dredge them through the whisked egg and then back through the flour again. So it goes, flour, egg, flour. Repeat until all of the chicken is breaded.
- Place the breaded pieces on the third plate.
- Heat the vegetable oil over medium / high heat in an 11-inch sauté pan.
- Once the oil is hot, or reaches 350 degrees Fahrenheit you can begin to carefully lower 2-3 pieces of chicken into the oil.
- Flip the chicken after a few minutes. Once it is golden brown on both sides, place it on a paper towel to absorb any excess oil. Repeat until all of the chicken is crispy.
- Next, we will place the chicken on the baking tray and cook it in the oven for 10 more minutes or until the internal temperature is 165 degrees.
- Remove the chicken from the oven. And set it aside.
Prepare the spicy buffalo sauce:
- In a saucepan over medium heat combine, butter, hot sauce, garlic powder, salt and pepper. Stir until well combined.
- Pour the sauce in a mixing bowl and toss it with the crispy chicken. Set it aside.
Prepare the buns:
- Butter the inside of the buns.
- Next, add them to a skillet over medium / high heat. They will begin to get slightly crispy and golden-brown. Remove them from the heat and set them aside.
Assemble the sandwich:
- Take the toasted buns and add the lettuce, tomatoes, spicy chicken and pickles. Add any desired dressing or mayonnaise.
- Serve warm and enjoy!