Hearty, delicious, and perfect for St. Patrick’s Day, this Vegetarian Stew with Crispy Fingerling Potatoes will fill you up and keep you going.
What better way to warm up before the St. Patty’s Day parade than with a big bowl of Irish-inspired stew? This recipe is so good it will make you grab your ghillies and get your Irish jig on!
Personally, I love meals that are packed with nutrients, easy to make and utterly filling. Which is why this dish is so great. It will fill you up and still keep you light on your feet.
So, let’s get started!
What You’ll Need: Serves 4
- ½ large white onion, diced
- 3-4 stalks of celery, chopped small
- one large carrot, sliced thin
- 3 tablespoons butter
- 4 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 can crushed roasted tomatoes, with juice
- 2 cups veggie stock
- 10 fingerling potatoes, cut in half
- 1 tablespoon garlic paste
- 1 can cannellini beans, with juice
- 2 handfuls of chopped kale
- 1 ripe lemon
- red chili pepper flakes
- salt and pepper
- 1 tablespoon of dried parsley
- Grab a large sauté pan and place it over medium high heat.
- Add 2 tablespoon of olive oil to the pan.
- Add your diced onion, chopped celery, and carrot. Allow these veggies to soften and lightly brown. Add salt and pepper to taste.
- While the veggies are cooking, grab a second pan and place it over medium high heat. Add the remaining 2 tablespoon of olive oil.
- Once the oil is hot place the fingerling potatoes on the pan, sliced side down.
- Allow them to soften on the inside and get crispy on the outside. Once they begin to brown add 1 tablespoon of garlic paste to the pan and 2 tablespoons of butter. Stir well.
- Turn off the heat and set aside.
- Head back over to your sauté pan with the veggies, and add in 1 tablespoon of butter and 1 can of crushed roasted tomatoes with the juice.
- Also add in 2 cups of veggie stock. Stir well!
- Take the crispy fingerling potatoes and dump them into the sauté pan with the veggies, tomatoes, and stock. Mix well.
- Be sure to get all of the crispy pieces from the bottom of the fingerling potato pan into the stock.
- Reduce the heat to medium low and add in your kale, cannellini beans, red pepper flakes, and dried parsley. You may also want to add some more salt and pepper. Taste it and see what you think.
- Let it simmer on low heat for about 1 hour.
- Before you are ready to serve your vegetarian stew, squeeze the juice of one lemon over everything and stir well.
Author: Sarah Thomas-Drawbaugh
Welcome to Healthyish! I am so glad you’re here.
Together we will reinvent classic recipes and make them Healthyish.
Which means they’ll include light, healthy and clean ingredients that your body will crave (with the occasional ISH). I will also be sharing some fitness and self-care tips for beginners.
So, let’s get started!