Typically, I do not think of soup when developing new Springtime recipes. But with Winter hanging on tight this year, a light vegetarian “Spring inspired” soup just felt right. And this recipe is loaded with some of my favorite Springtime essentials like, asparagus, onions, brussel sprouts, broccolini, and more.
So, let’s get started!
What you’ll need:
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 2 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 medium white onion
- 4 stalks of celery
- 4 stalks of broccolini
- Handful of asparagus
- 8-10 brussel sprouts
- 3.5 cups of veggie broth
- Juice from ½ of a lemon
- Salt and pepper
- 2 tablespoons sour cream
- Grab a sauté pan and place it over medium / high heat. Add in your butter and oil.
- Next, you will want to clean and dice all of your veggies. Add them to the pan.
- Let everything sweat over medium heat for about 15 – 20 minutes.
- Once everything has a nice light brown color to it, you will add in 3 cups of veggie broth to deglaze the pan.
- Let everything simmer over medium / high heat until all of the veggies have softened.
- Next, you will carefully pour the veggie broth and soft veggies into your blender.
- Blend this mixture until everything is nice and smooth. (no chucks)
- Pour the soup back into your pan. It should be a beautiful green color!
- Add in the remaining veggie broth and the juice from ½ of a lemon. Stir well.
- Salt and pepper to taste.
- Mix together about 2 tablespoons of sour cream and 2 teaspoons of lemon juice in a separate bowl. Blend well.
- You can also reserve some of your diced veggie mixture for the top of your soup to give it more texture. I did this, but I also added some lima beans and english peas to the veggie mixture as well.
- Once the sour cream and lemon juice is well blended, add a dollop to the top of your soup and serve!
Author: Sarah Thomas-Drawbaugh
Sarah Thomas-Drawbaugh is a recipe developer, fitness junkie and owner of the Healthyish brand. She loves taking everyday eats and making them Healthyish. Sarah defines being Healthyish as a lifestyle centered around living light, fit and fun with a healthy dose of “ISH” from time to time. Sarah’s work can be seen in Healthy-ish by Bon Appetit and Bon Appetit Magazine (digital). Sarah lives in Vail, Colorado with her husband, Dan and rescue dog, Graci!