Looking for a fun and delicious way to jazz up dinner? Try this tasty avocado tomato salad. There is something about ripe tomatoes that just makes my mouth water. Especially, when they are in a heathy and simple salad like this one. The avocado halves add some creaminess, the cucumbers have a refreshing taste, and the onions add that extra little bite. Not to mention, the fresh herbs make this salad burst with flavor.
What makes it Healthyish?
Tomatoes contain an antioxidant called, lycopene. Lycopene is known to eliminate free radicals in our bodies that can damage our cells and immune system. Lycopene also helps reduce the bad cholesterol in our bodies as well. (1)
Avocados are loaded with folate. Folate is a B vitamin that can help boost your mood! Plus, avocados have more potassium than a banana, so eat up!
Avocado Tomato Salad
- mixing bowl
- 1 large avocado
- 1 cup cherry or grape tomatoes cut in halves
- ¼ cup diced white or yellow onion
- ½ -1 cup mozzarella cheese balls cut in half
- ¼ cup diced English cucumber
- Salt and pepper
- Juice from ½ ripe lemon
- 2 tablespoons avocado oil olive oil will work as well
- Diced fresh Italian parsley or about 2 tablespoons diced
- Diced fresh mint or about 1 tablespoon diced
- Diced fresh basil or about 1 tablespoon diced
- Balsamic vinegar to drizzle on top
- Garnish with fresh scallions
- In a large mixing bowl combine the tomatoes, onion, cucumbers, mozzarella, salt, pepper, fresh herbs, (parsley, basil, mint) avocado oil, lemon juice and toss well.
- Cut the large avocado in half and remove the skin.
- Stuff the avocado with the tomato salad mixture and drizzle some balsamic vinegar on top.
- Finish with fresh sliced scallions and a pinch more salt.
- Serve and enjoy!
Author: Sarah Thomas-DrawbaughSarah Thomas-Drawbaugh is a recipe developer and creator of the brand, Healthyish Foods®. Sarah makes plant-based, fish and chicken recipes that are simple and delicious. Her work can be seen in Healthy-ish by Bon Appetit and Bon Appetit Magazine (digital), Women’s Health Magazine (digital) and Mind Body Green. Sarah is a Pittsburgh, PA native but currently lives in Vail, Colorado with her husband, Dan and rescue dog, Graci!