Vegetable Stir Fry
This plant-based vegetable stir fry recipe is incredibly flavorful and easy to make. Packed with tons of nutrient-dense vegetables, this stir fry recipe is weeknight winner. With just the right amount of sauce and a little kick of spice your tastebuds will be craving more. This vegetable stir fry recipe takes roughly 40 minutes to make. Perfect any night of the week.
About this Vegetable Stir Fry Recipe
This vegetable stir fry recipe is jam packed with healthy ingredients. The brown sauce is light and flavorful which tastes amazing with the cooked stir fry noodles and tender vegetables. You can use rice noodles or linguini if you do not have stir fry noodles handy. Both will work well. If you do decide to use linguini, I would suggest using 4-6 ounces of cooked pasta.
As far as vegetables go, you can get creative with this recipe. I used mushrooms, broccoli, onions, and red bell peppers. But you can add whatever veggies you like. This is a great meal to make when you want to clean out the refrigerator. Simply chop the vegetables into evenly sized pieces and add them to the stir fry. This recipe makes 4 light dinner servings or two large dinner servings. Please see the nutritional information below.
Store any leftover vegetable stir fry in an airtight container in the refrigerator for three to four days. Reheat in the microwave until heated through. Looking for more stir fry recipes? Try my chicken and broccoli stir fry.
- Onions have antibacterial properties that promote healthy immune function. They also contain healthy nutrients and compounds that have been known to decrease the risk of certain cancers, and heart disease. (1)
- Garlic is known to boost immune function as well. If taken daily it can even prevent / reduce the severity of the common cold and flu virus. (2)
- Red bell peppers contain many healthy antioxidants, including capsanthin, lutein, and quercetin. These plant compounds promote many health benefits including eye health and decrease in certain chronic disease. Quercetin which is plant flavonoid, is also known to decrease inflammation in the body which supports a healthy immune system. (3)
Vegetable Stir Fry
- 1-2 tablespoons avocado oil, or vegetable oil
- 1 tablespoon garlic, minced, about 2 cloves
- 2 teaspoons ginger, minced, remove skin before mincing
- ½ cup sweet onion, diced small
- ½ cup red bell pepper, sliced thin or julienned
- 4 ounces button mushrooms, rinsed, dried and sliced
- 1 cup broccoli florets, about the size of a quarter
- ¼-½ cup vegetable stock, use to deglaze the pan
- 7 ounces stir fry noodles, rinse under warm water to soften
- salt and pepper, to season
Stir fry sauce: Mix in a small bowl
- ¼ cup soy sauce
- 1 tablespoon sesame oil
- ½ cup vegetable stock
- 2 tablespoons light brown sugar
- 1 tablespoon rice vinegar
- ¼ teaspoon red pepper flakes
- 1.5 teaspoons cornstarch + 1 tablespoon water to form a slurry, this will thicken the sauce
- 2 tablespoons cashews, crushed into small pieces
- 2 tablespoons scallions, chopped
- 1 ripe lime , cut into wedges
- 1 non-stick saute pan
- 1 mixing bowl
- 1 colander
Make stir fry sauce:
- In a small bowl, combine the soy sauce, light brown sugar, rice vinegar, sesame oil, vegetable stock, red pepper flakes, and cornstarch slurry. Stir well. Set aside.
Soften the noodles:
- I used a 7-ounce package of stir fry noodles. To soften the packaged noodles simply place them in a colander and run them under warm/hot water for 1-2 minutes. They will quickly loosen up. Set them aside until later.
Prepare the stir fry:
- In a large sauté pan add avocado oil over medium high heat.
- Next, add the minced ginger and garlic. Let the garlic and ginger begin to brown and become fragrant.
- Then, add the diced onions and mushrooms. Season with a pinch of salt and pepper to taste.
- Once the onions and mushrooms begin to soften, add the sliced red bell pepper and broccoli florets. Toss well.
- Next, deglaze the pan with vegetable broth. Be sure to scrape any of the crispy bits off the bottom of the pan.
- Pour in the stir fry sauce. Reduce the heat to low and simmer everything until the sauce begins to thicken.
- Finally, add the softened stir fry noodles and toss until everything is well coated.
- Serve warm and enjoy.