This plant-based pesto sauce recipe is unbelievably delicious, and with 8 simple ingredients it’s beyond easy to make. Perfect on pasta, sandwiches, or pizza, this pesto sauce has such a herbaceous, nutty flavor that’s hard to resist.
Personally, pesto sauce has always been one of my favorites. And this recipe is so tasty you’ll never know it is plant-based.
I recently used this pesto on a thin crust pizza, topped with grilled asparagus and vegan feta cheese. The pesto really made the entire pizza burst with flavor.
What makes it Healthyish?
Loaded with anti-inflammatory agents, basil is a powerful antioxidant. These antioxidants are responsible for removing free radicals from the body; supporting a healthy immune system. (1)
Known to reduce cognitive decline and the risk of heart disease, pine nuts incredible for our bodies. Loaded with healthful antioxidants that protect our cells from damage. (2)
The BEST Plant-Based Pesto
- 1-1.5 cups packed fresh basil de-stemmed
- 3 tablespoons pine nuts
- 2 large raw garlic cloves
- Juice from ½ rip lemon or about 1 tablespoon
- 2 tablespoons nutritional yeast
- 3-4 tablespoons olive oil
- ¼ cup grated dairy free parmesan – Violife
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- Grab a food processor or blender and combine the garlic, lemon juice, nutritional yeast, parmesan cheese, salt, pine nuts and basil. Blend well.
- Slowly add the olive oil until fully incorporated.
- Taste to see if you need to tweak it at all. I ended up using 4 tablespoons olive oil.
- Serve and Enjoy!
Author: Sarah Thomas-DrawbaughSarah Thomas-Drawbaugh is a recipe developer and creator of the brand, Healthyish Foods®. Sarah makes plant-based, fish and chicken recipes that are simple and delicious. Her work can be seen in Healthy-ish by Bon Appetit and Bon Appetit Magazine (digital), Women’s Health Magazine (digital) and Mind Body Green. Sarah is a Pittsburgh, PA native but currently lives in Vail, Colorado with her husband, Dan and rescue dog, Graci!