The BEST Vegan “Pulled Pork” Recipe
Please allow me to introduce the BEST vegan “pulled pork” recipe of all time. The homemade BBQ sauce is sweet, tangy and slightly spicy. While the “pulled pork” is made entirely from fruit and vegetables.
This vegan pulled pork recipe is a combination of shredded carrots and Upton’s pulled jackfruit. Which are both low in calories and sugar, but huge on taste. With jackfruits meat-like texture, there is no doubt your family will be coming back for more. I can guarantee no one will know this pulled pork recipe is completely vegan.
About this recipe
My husband, Dan said it was the best pork sandwich he ever had. He honestly had no idea it was completely vegan. As an added bonus, this recipe calls for simple ingredients and comes together in under 40 minutes. So, if you’re new to trying vegan recipes, this is a great place to start.
When prepping the jackfruit, make sure you use the brand I linked above. It can be found in the refrigerated aisle next to tofu. I like using the Upton brand because it is not salty or soggy like canned jackfruit can be. However, if you can only find canned jackfruit, be sure to rinse it under cold water really well.
Also, I like using the pre-shredded bagged carrots you can buy from the store. These carrot sticks are firmer and hold up better than freshly grated carrots would in this recipe. If you end up with leftover pineapple salsa, simply enjoy it through the week. Add it to grilled chicken or enjoy it with tortilla chips. Either way, it’s delicious.
This recipe makes six light servings. Please see the nutritional information below for more details. Includes, pulled pork, pineapple sale, buns and BBQ sauce.
Store any leftovers in an airtight container in the refrigerator for three to four days. Reheat the vegan pulled pork in the microwave until heated through. Any leftover vegan “pulled pork” tastes great wrapped in a warm tortilla with scrambled eggs. Another way to enjoy leftovers is by using it on top of nachos. Grab my vegan nacho recipe and give this tasty vegan pulled pork recipe a try.
The BEST Vegan “Pulled Pork” Recipe
Vegan “Pulled Pork”
- 2.5 cups bagged carrots shredded, they are a little more firm that freshly shredded
- 1.5 cups shredded plain jackfruit , Upton's original brand – comes in a box.
- ½ cup white onion, diced
Homemade BBQ Sauce
- 1 cup ketchup
- ½ cup brown sugar
- 2 teaspoons apple cider vinegar
- 1 teaspoon dry mustard powder
- ½ tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
- 2 teaspoons lemon juice, fresh squeezed
- ¼ teaspoon liquid smoke
- ¼ cup veggie broth
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- ½ teaspoon black pepper
- ½ teaspoon red pepper flakes
Pineapple Jalapeno Salsa
- 1 cup pineapple, grilled and diced
- 1 cup sweet corn, grilled
- 1 tablespoon jalapeno, diced
- ⅓ cup red bell pepper, diced
- ⅓ cup shallots, diced
- 1 tablespoon lime juice
- Pinch salt
- 1 cup red cabbage , tossed with some fresh squeezed lime juice
- 6 potato rolls, King's Hawaiian
- mixing bowl
Prepare the BBQ sauce:
- In a saucepan, combine the ketchup, brown sugar, dry mustard powder, apple cider vinegar, Worcestershire sauce, lemon juice, salt, pepper, red pepper flakes, veggie broth, and liquid smoke. Simmer for 15-20 minutes over medium low heat.
Prepare the pulled "pork":
- Gently spray a large sauté pan with non-stick cooking spray.
- Over medium/low heat add the shredded carrots. If you do not have shredded carrots on-hand you can chop some whole carrots using your food processor. Be careful not to make the pieces too small.
- Dice a small white onion and add it to the carrots. Let the two simmer together in the pan until they begin to sweat and slightly brown.
- Next, you’ll add the prepared jackfruit. I use Upton’s boxed jackfruit. You’ll want to drain off any excess liquid and remove any hard pits. You’ll gently pull the jackfruit apart using your hands. **If you use canned jackfruit, be sure to drain it and rinse it very well. Canned jackfruit is normally stored in a brine that can taste very salty if not rinsed.**
- Add the pulled jackfruit to the carrots and onion. Once warmed through, add the carrot jackfruit mixture into the pan with the BBQ sauce.
- Let everything simmer over low heat for 15 minutes. The sauce will begin to thicken, and the flavors will all marry together.
Assemble the sandwich:
- Toast a potato roll with some earth balance butter and load the “pulled pork” onto the roll. As a finishing touch, I like to add pineapple salsa and shaved cabbage tossed in lime juice to my sandwiches. But you could also top them with coleslaw and pickles as well.
- Serve immediately and enjoy!
4 Comments on “The BEST Vegan “Pulled Pork” Recipe”
Pingback: Plant-Based “Pulled Pork” Cups - Healthyish Foods
Pingback: Plant-Based Strawberry Banana NICE Cream - Healthyish Foods
Looks delicious and I would like to try it . Worchester sauce traditionally has anchovies , are there vegan brands or an alternative?
Yes, Annie’s brand is vegan.