Loaded Vegan Nachos and Vegan Queso Cheese
Some days you just need a heaping pile of delicious crunchy nachos topped with all the fixings. These loaded vegan nachos with vegan queso cheese totally do the job. This appetizer recipe is light, healthy and totally satisfying. This healthy nacho recipe is jam packed with so many nutrient-dense ingredients, you will come back to this recipe time and time again.
About this recipe
I can remember growing up, we would go to one baseball game a year and I would always get nachos as my special snack. I’d top my nachos with extra cheese and an obscene number of jalapeños. Today, I have cut back on the jalapeños, but still love nachos just as much. My topping selections have definitely improved as well. Insert these, loaded vegan nachos with vegan queso cheese.
This healthy nacho recipe is packed with veggies and tastes amazing. Paired with the vegan queso cheese that is much less processed than the stuff I had at the baseball games. There is nothing better than snack food that is secretly good for you, right?
When prepping this recipe, you’ll want to soak your unsalted raw cashews in water for 5-6 hours at room temperature. This will help soften the cashews and make the cheese sauce more smooth and creamy. Be sure to drain off all water and pat the cashews dry before adding them to the blender.
You will also want to soften the carrot and sweet potato before blending. I cubed my sweet potato and microwaved it with a touch of water until it was fork tender. Repeat this process for the carrot. Cooking times will vary based on microwave strength and the size of your cubed vegetables.
These nachos are best if eaten the same day. However, you can store any leftover vegan queso in an airtight container int he refrigerator for three to four days. Reheat the cheese sauce in the microwave until heated through.
Looking for more vegan appetizer recipes? Try my plant-based spinach and artichoke dip or my plant-based buffalo jackfruit dip. Another tasty option are my plant-based buffalo tofu tenders. All are vegan recipes that will tastes great for any occasion.
Loaded Vegan Nachos and Queso Cheese
- 8 ounces tortilla chips
- 1 cup shredded cheese , Daiya brand
- ½ cup white onion, diced small
- ½ cup red bell pepper, diced small
- 1 can black beans, rinsed, drained and dried with a paper towel
- 1 cup whole kernel corn
- 1 package pulled BBQ jackfruit, Upton Natural's brand, remove pits
- ¾ cup shredded iceberg lettuce
- ¾ cup tomatoes, diced
- ½ cup black olives, minced
- ¼ cup jalapeno, minced or sliced thin
- 2 tablespoons cilantro, roughly chopped
- 1 ripe lime, cut into wedges
- 2 tablespoons sour cream , Kite Hill, dairy fee
Spicy Vegan Queso Cheese
- ½ cup raw unsalted cashews, soak the cashews in water at room temperature for at least 6 hours to soften them.
- ½ cup sweet white onion, diced
- ½ cup sweet potato , cubed, cooked until fork tender
- ¼ cup carrots, chopped, cooked until fork tender
- ½ teaspoon turmeric
- ½ teaspoon onion powder
- ½ teaspoon garlic powder
- ½ teaspoon chili powder
- ¼ teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 2 tablespoons nutritional yeast
- 1 teaspoon apple cider vinegar
- 1 teaspoon lemon juice
- ¾ cup water
- saute pan
- 9×13 inch baking dish or sheet pan
- Preheat the oven to 400 degrees.
- Grab a 9×13 inch baking dish and spray it with cooking spray. Set aside.
Prepare the Queso Cheese:
- Heat a large non-stick skillet over medium heat. Add the diced onions and let them sweat in the pan. Once they're translucent, remove them from the pan and set them aside.
- Par cook the cubed sweet potato and chopped carrots in the microwave until they are fork tender. Set aside. More info in the post above.
- Combine the drained cashews, softened carrot, softened sweet potato, turmeric, chili powder, cayenne powder, garlic and onion powder, apple cider vinegar, nutritional yeast, lemon juice, sautéed onions and water in a blender or food processor. Blend well until all lumps are gone and the mixture is completely smooth.
- Pour the warm vegan queso into a bowl and top with fresh chopped scallion, diced tomatoes, and minced jalapeno.
Prepare the nachos:
- Line the prepared baking dish with tortilla chips.
- Top the chips with black beans, corn kernels, diced onion, diced red bell pepper, pulled BBQ jackfruit and shredded cheese. Bake uncovered for 5-6 minutes or until the cheese begins to melt.
Finish the nachos:
- Serve immediately topped with shredded lettuce, diced tomato, diced black olives, minced jalapeno, and fresh cilantro.
- Be sure to enjoy with vegan sour cream and the vegan queso.