Some days you just need a heaping pile of delicious crunchy nachos topped with all the fixings. I can remember growing up, we would go to 1 baseball game a year and I would always get nachos as my snack. I’d top them with cheese and an obscene number of jalapenos.
Today, I have to cut back on the jalapenos, but still love nachos just as much! And my toppings have definitely improved as well. This recipe is more veggie forward and tastes so amazing. I’ve even created a vegan queso cheese that takes me back to those baseball games growing up. I hope you guys love this recipe as much as I do!
What Makes it Healthyish?
There are so many nourishing veggies and fresh herbs it in this dish, I don’t know where to start! Add in the vegan queso cheese, and this dish will have your body craving more. There is nothing better than snack food that is secretly good for you, right?
So, let’s get this recipe started.
Loaded Vegan Nachos and Queso Cheese
- saute pan
- baking dish
- 2 handfuls tortilla chips
- ½ cup shredded dairy free cheese – daiya
- ½ cup diced sweet onion
- 1 diced red bell pepper
- ½ cup black beans
- ½ cup sweet whole kernel corn
- 1 package pulled BBQ jackfruit
- Shredded lettuce
- ½ cup diced tomatoes
- ¼ cup diced black olives
- ½ sliced fresh jalapeno
- Handful fresh cilantro
- Quartered lime
- Dairy free sour cream – kite hill
Spicy Vegan Queso Cheese
- ½ teaspoon turmeric
- ½ teaspoon onion powder
- ½ teaspoon garlic powder
- ½ teaspoon chili powder
- ¼ teaspoon cayenne pepper
- ½ cup sweet white onion
- ½ cup raw soaked cashews soak the cashews in water for atleast 6 hours.
- ½ cup cooked sweet potato
- 1/4 cup cooked carrot
- 2 tablespoons nutritional yeast
- 1 teaspoon apple cider vinegar
- 1 teaspoon lemon juice
- ¾ cup water
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees
- Grab an 8×8 baking dish and line it with tortilla chips.
- Top with shredded cheese, rinsed and drained black beans, rinsed and drained corn, diced onion, diced red bell pepper, and pulled BBQ jackfruit. Bake for 15 minutes.
Prepare the Queso Cheese:
- While the nachos are heating in the oven, grab a sauté pan, gently spray it with non-stick cooking spray and over medium heat begin to sweat the onion for the vegan queso. Once the onion is translucent, remove from the heat and set aside.
- Par cook the sweet potato and the carrot in the microwave until it is fork tender. Set aside.
- Next, you’ll grab your blender, and combine the drained raw cashews, soft carrot, turmeric, chili powder, cayenne powder, garlic and onion powder, soft sweet potato, apple cider vinegar, nutritional yeast, lemon juice, translucent soft onions and water. Blend well until all lumps are gone and the mixture is completely smooth.
- Pour the vegan queso into a bowl and top with scallion, tomato, and diced jalapeno.
Finish the Nachos:
- Pull the nachos from the oven and top with shredded lettuce, diced tomato, diced black olives, sliced jalapeno, and fresh cilantro.
- Serve with a side of vegan sour cream, the vegan queso and salsa! ENJOY!
Author: Sarah Thomas-DrawbaughSarah Thomas-Drawbaugh is a recipe developer and creator of the brand, Healthyish Foods®. Sarah makes plant-based, fish and chicken recipes that are simple and delicious. Her work can be seen in Healthy-ish by Bon Appetit and Bon Appetit Magazine (digital), Women’s Health Magazine (digital) and Mind Body Green. Sarah is a Pittsburgh, PA native but currently lives in Vail, Colorado with her husband, Dan and rescue dog, Graci!