This Vegan Lasagna Roll-Up recipe is so tasty you’ll never know its meat and dairy free! Even my lasagna loving husband had a hard time telling the difference. And what’s great, is that you can cook this entire dish from start to finish in under one hour.
To recreate the ricotta cheese I used super firm tofu, diced cauliflower and seasonings. The texture is so creamy and delicious, just like ricotta cheese. Next, I cooked a quick and delicious red sauce, but you can use store-bought sauce too! I know weeknights can get hectic so if store-bought sauce makes things easier, I am all for it. Finally, if you want to make this dish gluten free, simply swap out the pasta noodles for zucchini strips for gluten free noodles instead.
Vegan Lasagna Roll-Ups
- pasta pot
- baking dish
- mixing bowl
- food processor
- 1 package lasagna pasta
Vegan “Ricotta” Cheese
- 3/4 package of super firm tofu
- 1.5 cups cauliflower
- 1 teaspoon dried parsley
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon onion powder
- 1 teaspoon pepper
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 2 tbsp nutritional yeast
Quick red sauce
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- ½ large onion
- 1 red pepper
- 2 cloves of garlic or 1 teaspoon garlic paste
- ½ teaspoon red pepper flakes
- 2 cans of crushed tomatoes with juice
- ½ cup salted pasta water
- Salt and pepper
- Fresh basil leaves
- Fresh Italian parsley
- Preheat the oven 350 degrees.
- Grab an 8×8 baking dish and spray it with non-stick cooking spray. Set aside.
- Bring a pot of salted water to a boil and add in your lasagna noodles. Cook the noodles until they are al-dente. DO NOT overcook the noodles or they will be hard to roll. Also, they will continue to soften as they bake in the oven.
- Grab a saucepan and over medium / low heat add in the olive oil.
- Dice the onion, red pepper, and garlic into small, evenly sized pieces. Add the veggies to the olive oil.
- Let the veggies sweat until they are tender. You do not want them to brown.
- Pour in your crushed tomatoes (juice too), red pepper flakes, fresh basil leaves, and let everything simmer over medium / low heat. Season with salt and pepper.
- Next you’ll prepare the vegan “ricotta cheese”.
- Add your tofu, cauliflower, and spices to a food processor. Blend well until the mixture is smooth and creamy. You do not want any hard cauliflower pieces in the mixture.
- Once the noodles are finished cooking, reserve a ½ cup of the salted pasta water and add it to your sauce.
- Drain your noodles and run them under cool water to stop the cooking. Lightly drizzle the noodles with olive oil to prevent them from sticking together.
- Begin to smear the vegan ricotta cheese on each noodle and roll them up.
- Ladle two spoonful’s of red sauce into the baking dish.
- Place the rolled-up noodles on-top of the sauce.
- Once all of the noodles are rolled, top with extra sauce and bake for 15 minutes or until the vegan cheese is warmed all the way through.
- Top with freshly chopped parsley and serve warm.
Author: Sarah Thomas-DrawbaughSarah Thomas-Drawbaugh is a recipe developer, fitness junkie and owner of the Healthyish brand. She loves taking everyday eats and making them Healthyish. Sarah defines being Healthyish as a lifestyle centered around living light, fit and fun with a healthy dose of “ISH” from time to time. Sarah’s work can be seen in Healthy-ish by Bon Appetit and Bon Appetit Magazine (digital). Sarah lives in Vail, Colorado with her husband, Dan and rescue dog, Graci!