This Vegan Lasagna Roll-Up recipe is so tasty you’ll never know its meat and dairy free! Even my lasagna loving husband had a hard time telling the difference. And what’s great, is that you can cook this entire dish from start to finish in under one hour.
To recreate the ricotta cheese I used super firm tofu, diced cauliflower and seasonings. The texture is so creamy and delicious, just like ricotta cheese. Next, I cooked a quick and delicious red sauce, but you can use store-bought sauce too! I know weeknights can get hectic so if store-bought sauce makes things easier, I am all for it. Finally, if you want to make this dish gluten free, simply swap out the pasta noodles for zucchini strips for gluten free noodles instead.
Vegan Lasagna Roll-Ups
- pasta pot
- baking dish
- mixing bowl
- food processor
- 1 package lasagna pasta
Vegan “Ricotta” Cheese
- 1 package of super firm tofu not pressed
- 1.5 cups cauliflower pearls cooked and soft
- 1 teaspoon dried parsley
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon onion powder
- 1 teaspoon pepper
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 2 tbsp nutritional yeast
- 1.5 tbsp lemon juice
- 1 cup shredded mozzerella daiya
Quick red sauce
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- ½ large onion
- 1 red pepper
- 2 cloves of garlic or 1 teaspoon garlic paste
- ½ teaspoon red pepper flakes
- 2 cans of crushed tomatoes with juice
- ½ cup salted pasta water
- Salt and pepper
- Fresh basil leaves
- Fresh Italian parsley
- Preheat the oven 350 degrees.
- Grab an 8×8 baking dish and spray it with non-stick cooking spray. Set aside.
- Bring a pot of salted water to a boil and add in your lasagna noodles. Cook the noodles until they are al-dente. DO NOT overcook the noodles or they will be hard to roll. Also, they will continue to soften as they bake in the oven.
- Grab a saucepan and over medium / low heat add in the olive oil.
- Dice the onion, red pepper, and garlic into small, evenly sized pieces. Add the veggies to the olive oil.
- Let the veggies sweat until they are tender. You do not want them to brown.
- Pour in your crushed tomatoes (juice too), red pepper flakes, fresh basil leaves, and let everything simmer over medium / low heat. Season with salt and pepper.
- Next you’ll prepare the vegan “ricotta cheese”.
- Add your tofu, cauliflower, nutritional yeast, lemon juice, and spices to a food processor. Blend well until the mixture is smooth and creamy. You do not want any hard cauliflower pieces in the mixture. Once blended, fold the shredded mozzerella into the mixture.
- Once the noodles are finished cooking, reserve a ½ cup of the salted pasta water and add it to your sauce.
- Drain your noodles and run them under cool water to stop the cooking. Lightly drizzle the noodles with olive oil to prevent them from sticking together.
- Begin to smear the vegan ricotta cheese mixture on each noodle and roll them up.
- Ladle two spoonful’s of red sauce into the baking dish.
- Place the rolled-up noodles on-top of the sauce.
- Once all of the noodles are rolled, top with extra sauce and bake for 15 minutes or until the vegan cheese is warmed all the way through.
- Top with freshly chopped parsley and serve warm.
Author: Sarah Thomas-DrawbaughSarah Thomas-Drawbaugh is a home cook, recipe developer and the creator of the brand, Healthyish®. Sarah believes that living Healthyish® is a lifestyle centered around the 80/20 rule. Her beliefs are directly reflected in her recipes which are mostly plant-based. (but sometimes not) Her work can be seen in Healthy-ish by Bon Appetit and Bon Appetit Magazine (digital), Women’s Health Magazine (digital) and Mind Body Green. Sarah is a Pittsburgh, PA native but currently lives in Vail, Colorado with her husband, Dan and rescue dog, Graci!