Vegan Lasagna Roll-Ups
These vegan lasagna roll-ups are so tasty you’ll never know they’re meat and dairy free! Even my lasagna loving husband had a hard time telling the difference. What’s great, is that you can make this entire dish from start to finish in under one hour too. So, if you’re new to a plant-based diet, this vegan lasagna recipe is a great place to start.
About this recipe
To recreate the ricotta cheese I used super firm tofu, diced cauliflower and seasonings. The texture is so creamy and delicious, just like ricotta cheese. You will want to make sure you boil the cauliflower so it is soft and not as bitter. Cooking it will help make the vegan ricotta cheese more smooth and creamy too. You just want to make sure you pat it dry with a paper towel so it isn’t too wet when you combine it with the other ingredients.
Next, I made a quick and delicious red sauce, but you can use store-bought sauce too. I know weeknights can get hectic, so if store-bought sauce makes things easier, I am all for it. Finally, if you want to make this dish gluten free, simply swap out the pasta for zucchini strips or gluten free pasta instead.
This vegan lasagna recipe yielded about 9 roll-ups. This would be a good portion for about 3 people. Be sure you use an 8 ounce box of lasagna sheets. Each box typically comes with 10 sheets. I always like to make one extra just in case on of the lasagna sheets rips or breaks during cooking.
Store any leftover vegan lasagna in an airtight contain in the refrigerator. To reheat, simply microwave the roll-ups in an oven safe dish until they are heated through. Looking for more vegan dinner recipes? Try my plant-based tofu parmesan recipe or my plant-based ground “beef” tacos.
Vegan Lasagna Roll-Ups
- 1 package lasagna pasta, 8 ounce box is about 10 lasagna sheets
Vegan “Ricotta” Cheese
- ½ block super firm tofu, not pressed
- 1.5 cups cauliflower , boiled until soft
- 1 teaspoon dried parsley
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon onion powder
- 1 teaspoon pepper
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 2 tablespoons nutritional yeast
- 1.5 tablespoon lemon juice , fresh squeezed
- 1 cup shredded mozzerella , daiya
Quick red sauce
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 2 tablespoons vegan butter , Earth Balance
- 1 cup sweet onion, diced small
- 1 cup red bell pepper, diced small
- 2 cloves garlic , minced
- 1 can crushed tomatoes, with juice, 28 ounce can
- ½ cup salted pasta water
- ½ teaspoon red pepper flakes
- 1 teaspoon salt
- ½ teaspoon black pepper
- 2 tablespoons basil leaves, roughly chopped
- 2 tablespoons Italian parsley, chopped small
- pasta pot
- baking dish
- mixing bowl
- food processor
- Preheat the oven 350 degrees.
- Grab an 9×13-inch baking dish and spray it with non-stick cooking spray. Set aside.
Prepare the pasta:
- Bring a pot of salted water to a boil and add in your lasagna noodles. Cook the noodles until they are al-dente. They will continue to soften as they bake in the oven.Reserve 1/2 cup of pasta water. Drain the remaining water in a colander and drizzle the pasta with olive oil to prevent them from sticking together. Set aside.
Prepare the sauce:
- Grab a saucepan and over medium / low heat add the olive oil and butter.
- Add the onion, red bell pepper, and garlic into the pan with the olive oil and butter. Season everything with salt and pepper. Stir well.
- Let the vegetables sweat until they are tender and translucent.
- Next, you will add the crushed tomatoes (juice too), red pepper flakes, Italian parsley, basil leaves, pasta water and let everything simmer over medium / low heat.
Prepare the vegan ricotta cheese:
- Boil a pot of water and cook the cauliflower until it is soft. Add the tofu, softened cauliflower, nutritional yeast, lemon juice, and spices to a food processor. Blend well until the mixture is smooth and creamy. Once blended, gently fold in the shredded vegan mozzarella cheese with a spatula.
Assemble the dish:
- Ladle two spoonful’s of red sauce into the prepared baking dish.
- Smear the vegan ricotta cheese mixture on one side of the pasta and roll them up.
- Place the rolled-up pasta on-top of the sauce.
- Once all of the pasta is rolled and placed in the baking dish, top with extra sauce, cover with foil and bake for 20-25 minutes or until the vegan cheese is warmed all the way through.
- Top with freshly chopped parsley and vegan parmesan cheese and serve warm.