Cheesy Jalapeno Poppers
These cheesy jalapeno poppers are so good you might finish off the entire tray. They are the perfect appetizer for happy hour, game day or girl’s night in. These vegan poppers have the perfect balance of spicy, cheesy goodness. Plus, they come together in under 30 minutes. So, give these delicious plant based jalapeno poppers a try.
About this recipe
When preparing this jalapeno popper recipe you will want to slice the jalapeños in half and remove the seeds and veins. This will make the poppers little less spicy than leaving the seeds and veins inside. Use gloves during this process to prevent any of the spicy oil from getting on your hands and perhaps in your eyes later.
Once you pipe the cheese filling into the jalapenos, top the cheese filling with some of the panko breadcrumbs. Gently press the breadcrumbs into the filling to ensure the breadcrumbs stick during baking.
I strongly suggest using the vegan brands I have listed below for this recipe. Every vegan brand has a different taste and texture. So, for optimal outcomes, use the brands identified below. This recipe makes 8 jalapeno poppers or 16 servings. Please see below for nutritional information.
Store any leftover jalapeno poppers in an airtight container in the refrigerator for three to four days. Reheat in the microwave until heated through. Looking for more plant-based appetizers? Try my buffalo style tofu tenders or my jackfruit patties.
- Jalapenos are loaded with capsaicin which is what makes pepper taste hot. Capsaicin has been known to help increase blood flow and decrease appetite, aiding in weight loss. But you might want to avoid these peppers if you have irritable bowel syndrome or heart burn. It can cause these symptoms to flare up. (1)
Cheesy Jalapeno Poppers
- 8 jalapenos, medium sized
- 4 ounces cream cheese, Kite Hill, vegan
- ¾ cup shredded cheese, Daiya Mexican blend, vegan
- ¼ cup onion, diced , yellow or white will work
- 1 tablespoon nutritional yeast
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- ¼ teaspoon paprika
- ¼ teaspoon black pepper
- ¼ cup panko breadcrumbs, added as a crust over the cheese filling
- 2 tablespoons scallions, chopped, as garnish
- ¼ cup vegan sour cream, Kite Hill
- 2 tablespoons lime juice , fresh squeezed
- ½ teaspoon lime zest
- baking dish
- mixing bowl
- Preheat the oven to 400 degrees.
- Grab a baking sheet and spray it with cooking spray, set aside.
- Mix together vegan sour cream, lime juice, and lime zest to form a crema. Set aside.
- Slice your jalapenos in half. Using a spoon gently remove the seeds and veins from the jalapeno.
- In a small mixing bowl, combine your vegan cream cheese, vegan shredded cheese, nutritional yeast, minced sweet onion, garlic powder, paprika, salt and pepper. Mix well.
- Pipe, or spoon, the mixture into the jalapenos. I used a piping bag, but if you don’t have one, a spoon works fine too!
- Place the jalapenos on the greased baking tray.
- Top with a light dusting of panko breadcrumbs.
- Bake for 14-15 minutes. Broil for 2 additional minutes to get the breadcrumbs nice and toasty.
- Remove from the oven and let the poppers cool for 10 minutes before drizzling them with a lime crema.
- Finish with fresh chopped scallions. Serve and enjoy!