These plant-based jalapeno poppers are so good you might finish off the entire tray. They are the perfect appetizer for happy hour, game day or girl’s night in.
These peppers have the perfect balance of spiciness and cheesy goodness. Plus, they come together in under 30 minutes. So, give the delicious plant based jalapeno poppers a try!
What makes them Healthyish?
Jalapenos are loaded with capsaicin which is what makes pepper taste hot. Capsaicin has been known to help increase blood flow and decrease appetite, aiding in weight loss. But you might want to avoid these peppers if you have irritable bowel syndrome or heart burn. It can cause these symptoms to flare up. (1)
Plant Based Jalapeno Poppers
- baking dish
- mixing bowl
- 6-8 jalapeños medium sized
- 4 ounces cream cheese I used Kite Hill – vegan
- 3/4 cup shredded cheese Daiya Mexican blend – vegan
- 1 tablespoon nutritional yeast
- 1/4 cup diced onion yellow or white will work
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- Pinch black pepper
- 1 tablespoon panko breadcrumbs
- paprika dusting
- scallions as garnish
- ½ teaspoon lime zest
- 1 tbsp lime juice about one fresh squeezed lime
- 3 -4 tablespoons vegan sour cream I used Kite Hill
- Mix until smooth crema sauce forms.
- Preheat the oven to 400 degrees.
- Grab a baking sheet and spray it with olive oil cooking spray, set aside.
- Slice your jalapenos in half. Using a spoon gently remove the seeds and veins from the jalapeno.
- In a small mixing bowl, combine your vegan cream cheese, vegan shredded cheese, nutritional yeast, diced sweet onion, garlic powder, salt and pepper. Mix well.
- Pipe or spoon the mixture into the jalapenos. I used a piping bag, but if you don’t haveone, a spoon works fine too!
- Place the jalapenos on the greased baking tray.
- Top with a light dusting of panko breadcrumbs and paprika seasoning.
- Bake for 14-15 minutes. I also broiled mine for 2 additional minutes to get the breadcrumbs nice and toasty.
- Remove from the oven and let the poppers cool for 10 minutes before drizzling them with the lime crema.
- Finish with fresh chopped scallions. Serve and enjoy!
Author: Sarah Thomas-DrawbaughSarah Thomas-Drawbaugh is a recipe developer and creator of the brand, Healthyish Foods®. Sarah makes plant-based, fish and chicken recipes that are simple and delicious. Her work can be seen in Healthy-ish by Bon Appetit and Bon Appetit Magazine (digital), Women’s Health Magazine (digital) and Mind Body Green. Sarah is a Pittsburgh, PA native but currently lives in Vail, Colorado with her husband, Dan and rescue dog, Graci!