The BEST Vegan Reuben Sandwich
This vegan reuben sandwich is out of this word delicious. It’s cheesy, buttery, crispy and completely satisfying. Loaded with plant-based goodness, you’ll forget the traditional version even existed.
What makes it Healthyish?
I swapped local oyster mushrooms for the traditional corned beef and vegan butter (made by Earth Balance) instead of regular. Next, I made a Vegan Russian dressing that is packed with flavor. It’s tangy, light and creamy, just the way it should be.
Finally, I swapped vegan provolone and vegan American cheese for the traditional Swiss cheese. The combination of the vegan American and provolone cheese adds an extra creaminess that is hard to resist. Finished with pickled red cabbage and this sandwich is a homerun. Makes 2 vegan reuben sandwiches.
Healthyish Vegan Reuben Sandwich
- 4 slices marble rye bread
- 2-3 tablespoons vegan butter, Earth Balance
- 8 ounces oyster mushrooms
- 2 slices vegan provolone cheese, Daiya brand
- 2 slices vegan American cheese, Daiya brand
- 1 cup pickled red cabbage or sauerkraut
Vegan Russian Dressing
- 1/3 cup vegan mayonnaise , Vegenaise
- 1 teaspoon Annie’s Worcestershire sauce, Annie's
- 2 tablespoons ketchup
- 2 skillets
- small mixing bowl
- First, you’ll mix together your vegan Russian dressing. In a small bowl add the vegan mayo, ketchup and Worcestershire sauce. Blend well using a spoon or fork. Set aside.
- Gently spray two skillets with cooking spray and place them over medium heat.
- Add your oyster mushrooms to one skillet. Cook until the mushrooms get a light brown sear.
- While the mushrooms are cooking you will butter all four slices of bread (one side only).
- In the second skillet, you’ll add the buttered marble rye. (Buttered side down on the skillet).
- Top 2 of the 4 slices of bread with 2 slices of cheese (one slice of provolone and cheddar per sandwich)
- Once the bread is toasted and the cheese begins to melt, remove the bread from the skillet.
Assemble The Sandwiches:
- Add a dollop of the vegan Russian dressing to the slice of toast without the cheese.
- Add the oyster mushrooms on top of the Russian dressing.
- Top the mushroom with the pickled red cabbage or sauerkraut.
- Place the slice of bread with the cheese on top! Cut in half and enjoy!