The BEST Vegan Reuben Sandwich
Looking for the best vegan reuben sandwich recipe? Then you are in the right spot. This vegan reuben sandwich recipe is out of this word delicious. It’s cheesy, buttery, crispy and completely satisfying. Loaded with plant-based goodness, you’ll forget the traditional version even existed.
About this recipe
For this vegan reuben sandwich recipe, I started by swapping any animal products for vegan products. First, I swapped local oyster mushrooms instead of traditional corned beef. Next, I swapped vegan butter for the regular. If you’re looking for a vegan butter brand, I like using Earth Balance. Next, I made a vegan Russian dressing that is packed with flavor. It’s tangy, light and creamy, just the way it should be.
Finally, I swapped vegan provolone and vegan American cheese for the traditional Swiss cheese. The combination of the vegan American and provolone cheese adds an extra creaminess that is hard to resist. Just be sure to cut both slices of cheese in half. Use half of the vegan provolone and half of the vegan American cheese on each sandwich. That way you will get a tasty blend of both. Finished with pickled red cabbage and this sandwich is a winner. This recipe yields two reuben sandwiches.
Vegan Reuben Sandwich
- 4 slices marble rye bread
- 2-3 tablespoons vegan butter, Earth Balance
- 8 ounces oyster mushrooms
- 1 slice vegan provolone cheese – cut in half , Daiya brand
- 1 slice vegan American cheese – cut in half , Daiya brand
- 1 cup pickled red cabbage or sauerkraut
Vegan Russian Dressing
- ¼ cup vegan mayonnaise , Vegenaise
- 2 tablespoons ketchup
- 1 teaspoon Annie’s Worcestershire sauce, Annie's
- 2 skillets
- small mixing bowl
Prepare the vegan Russian dressing:
- First, you’ll mix together your vegan Russian dressing. In a small bowl, combine vegan mayonnaise, ketchup and Worcestershire sauce. Set aside.
Prepare the sandwiches:
- Gently spray two skillets with cooking spray and place them over medium heat.
- Add your oyster mushrooms to one skillet. Cook until the mushrooms get a light brown sear.
- While the mushrooms are cooking you will butter all four slices of bread (one side only).
- In the second skillet, you’ll add the buttered marble rye. (Buttered side down on the skillet).
- Top 2 of the 4 slices of bread with cheese (one half slice of provolone and one half slice of cheddar per sandwich)
- Once the bread is toasted and the cheese begins to melt, remove the bread from the skillet.
Assemble The Sandwiches:
- Add a dollop of the vegan Russian dressing to the slice of toast without the cheese.
- Add the oyster mushrooms on top of the Russian dressing.
- Top the mushroom with the pickled red cabbage or sauerkraut.
- Place the slice of bread with the cheese on top! Cut in half and enjoy!