I have always been a sucker for finger foods and these plant-based baked BBQ tofu & vegetable egg rolls are the perfect appetizer. They’re crispy on the outside, light on the inside, easy to dip, and vegan!
What makes them Healthyish?
Instead of frying the rolls I baked them for a light crispy texture. Next, I loaded them with healthy veggies and some spicy jalapeno. Finally, I used a a low sugar, Healthyish BBQ sauce. This BBQ sauce is so delicious that you won’t believe it’s only 10 calories and 1 gram sugar per serving.
**Feel free to swap the tofu for either shredded chicken or shrimp. **
Fun Fact: Tofu is naturally gluten free and low calorie. It is a great source of iron, calcium and protein too!
What You’ll Need: Makes 10-12 rolls
- 1 package of super firm tofu
- 1/4 cup cornstarch
- 1 small sweet onion
- 1.5 cups shredded carrot
- 1 medium to large sized jalapeno
- 1 large bell pepper
- Sesame seeds
- ½ cup of BBQ sauce (Halo & Cleaver) – extra for dipping
- fresh lime slices
- Preheat your oven to 400 degrees
- Thinly slice or julienne your bell pepper, onion and jalapeno. The carrots are already shredded. (set aside)
- Open tofu and drain off all excess water. Be sure to press remaining moisture out of the tofu using a clean kitchen towel. This step allows your tofu to bake faster and get extra crispy.
- Cube tofu into small cubes about the size of a dime. Dust with cornstarch.
- Spray a cooking sheet with cooking spray and evenly spread out the tofu on the tray.
- Bake tofu for 15-20 minutes until the tofu gets lightly browned. Be sure turn it halfway through.
- Once the tofu is lightly crispy, you will pour the BBQ sauce on top of the tofu and toss the sauce and tofu together. Bake for 2-3 more minutes so the sauce can thicken up a bit.
- Next, you will want to begin assembling your egg rolls.
- Fill each roll with a few slices of onion, bell pepper, shredded carrot, and jalapeno.
- Spoon in a healthy amount of the BBQ tofu cubes. Make sure they are not too hot to touch.
- Gently dab the edges of the egg roll wrapper with water so that the wrapper holds a nice tight seal.
- To roll your wrappers you will want to fold in the sides first. Make sure you didn’t add too much filling, or you won’t be able to close the wrapper.
- Next, you will take the corner pointing towards you and pull it over top of the folded in sides. Gently roll the wrapper until it is fully sealed.
- Then you’ll spray a cooking sheet with cooking spray and place the finished egg rolls on the sheet, seam side down.
- Repeat these steps until you use all of the filling. You should get between 10-12 egg rolls.
- Next, you will spray your egg rolls with cooking spray or lightly brush them with olive oil so that the wrappers get nice and flaky when you bake them.
Bake for 15-20 minutes at 400 degrees or until they are browned to your liking. Be sure to flip the rolls over hallway through baking.
Finish with a sprinkle of sesame seeds and serve with extra BBQ sauce on the side for dipping!
Fresh lime slices make a great addition too!
Author: Sarah Thomas-DrawbaughSarah Thomas-Drawbaugh is a recipe developer, fitness junkie and owner of the Healthyish brand. She loves taking everyday eats and making them Healthyish. Sarah defines being Healthyish as a lifestyle centered around living light, fit and fun with a healthy dose of “ISH” from time to time. Sarah’s work can be seen in Healthy-ish by Bon Appetit and Bon Appetit Magazine (digital). Sarah lives in Vail, Colorado with her husband, Dan and rescue dog, Graci!