Mozzarella Stuffed Chicken Meatballs
Juicy, flavorful and loaded with melted cheese, these mozzarella stuffed chicken meatballs are guaranteed to be a crowd pleaser. Enjoy them as an appetizer or as your main meal. Either way, these juicy chicken meatballs are guaranteed to be a family favorite.
About this recipe
Serve these mozzarella stuffed chicken meatballs over pasta with my quick red sauce for a delicious weeknight meal. Another option, is to enjoy these juicy stuffed chicken meatballs inside of hoagie roll for the ultimate meatball sub. If you go the sandwich route, be sure to top the meatballs with marinara sauce and extra mozzarella cheese. These juicy meatballs are so good, you’ll have a hard time not finishing off the entire pan.
If you’re going low carb, try skipping the pasta and bread all together and simply serve these meatballs with a side of sautéed veggies. These chicken meatballs also make a great meal prep item to have on hand through the week. They are so versatile, you will find multiple ways to enjoy them without getting bored. I promise, no matter how you serve them, they are going to be incredible.
Store any leftover chicken meatballs in an airtight container in the refrigerator for four to five days. To reheat, simple microwave these meatballs in a microwave safe dish until they are heated through.
Mozzarella Stuffed Chicken Meatballs
- 1 lb. ground chicken
- 1 large egg
- 2 tablespoons 2% milk
- ½ cup Italian breadcrumbs
- ½ cup grated parmesan cheese, plus some extra to finish the dish
- ½ teaspoon garlic powder
- ½ teaspoon onion powder
- ½ teaspoon dreid oregano
- ½ teaspoon dried parsley
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- 2 mozzarella sticks, cut each stick into 6 pieces
Cooked Pasta and Red Sauce
- 6-8 ounces pasta, cut of choice
- 2 cups jarred red sauce, Delallo Arrabbiata
- 1 tablespoon olive oil, drizzle on the cooked pasta to prevent it from sticking
- salt and pepper, to taste
- red pepper flakes, optional
- pasta pot
- sauce pot
- large mixing bowl
- 9×5 baking dish
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees.
- Spray a 9×5-inch baking dish with cooking spray. Set it aside.
Cook the pasta:
- Bring a pot of salted water to a boil. Cook your pasta according to the package. Preferably, al dente as the pasta will continue cooking in the oven. Drain the pasta water using a colander and set the cooked pasta aside. Be sure to drizzle olive oil over the pasta to prevent it from sticking.
- Over medium heat, warm your favorite red sauce in a large sauce pot over the stove. I used Delallo’s Spicy Arrabbiata sauce.
- Once the sauce is hot, add the cooked pasta into the sauce. Toss the sauce and the pasta together until the noodles are well coated in the sauce. Reduce heat to low.
Prepare the chicken meatballs:
- In a mixing bowl combine, your ground chicken, egg, milk, Italian breadcrumbs, parmesan cheese, garlic powder, onion, powder, and dried parsley. Blend well using your hands.
- Take 2 mozzarella sticks and cut each stick into 6 pieces – total 12 pieces.
- Begin to roll your chicken meatballs, placing one small piece of mozzarella in the center of each meatball. I was able to get 12 medium sized meatballs.
- Heat a large skillet over medium heat. Spray the skillet with non-stick cooking spray and brown your chicken meatballs on all sides. Turn frequently to prevent sticking or burning.
- Once all of the meatballs have a light brown sear, you'll assemble the dish.
Assemble the dish:
- Next, you'll add the pasta with the sauce into the 9×5-inch prepared baking dish.
- Nestle the browned meatballs into the pasta. Cover the dish with foil and bake the entire dish for 20-25 minutes or until the meatballs are fully cooked through. You'll want them to be 165 degrees Fahrenheit to ensure doneness.
- Once fully cooked, remove the foil and top the meatballs with extra parmesan cheese, red pepper flakes and fresh basil.
- Serve and enjoy!