Sticky Chicken Rice Bowl
Inspired by a traditional bibimbop, this sticky chicken recipe is loaded with flavor. Bibimbop is a traditional Korean dish that consists of rice, chili paste, sauteed veggies and some type of cooked or sliced meat. Normally served in a hot stone bowl, the heat from the stone cooks the rice until it is nice and crispy on the bottom. As a finishing touch, it is traditional to top the dish with a fried egg for some extra texture and flavor.
About this Sticky Chicken Rice Bowl
Easy to make and totally customizable, you’re going to love this sticky chicken recipe. I tried to include some of the more traditional elements, but also wanted to give it a Healthyish twist.
For example, I added pickled cucumbers and onion for a little extra flavor. Please note, that the pickled cucumbers and onions taste best if they can marinate in the rice vinegar mixture for at least an hour before using. However, they will stay fresh in an airtight container refrigerated for up to five days.
I also included a side of kimchi. If you’re not familiar with kimchi, it is fermented pickled cabbage. It’s normally very spicy which tastes so good with the rice, and sticky chicken. For this recipe, I used chicken thighs. The chicken thighs are so much more flavorful than the chicken breasts. They also get a nice crispy sear on the outside which tastes great with the light brown sauce. Next, I sautéed some shiitake mushrooms for an extra pop of umami. As a finishing touch, I sliced some creamy avocado and fresh chopped cilantro to bring everything together.
What’s great, is that you can add whatever ingredients you like to this bowl. Try a drizzle of spicy mayo, or some crushed peanuts for texture. You could also add sliced avocado, sesame seeds, sliced green onions, a wedge of lime, freshly chopped cilantro, or sautéed mushrooms. No matter how you dress it up, these sticky chicken and rice bowls are hard to beat.
Please Note: This recipe makes 4 servings. The nutritional information below reflects the sticky chicken. It does not include any of the sides or toppings.
Store any leftovers in an airtight container in the refrigerator for three to four days. Reheat in the microwave until heated through. Looking for more Asian inspired recipes? Try my saucy Asian meatballs or my plant based spicy tahini noodles with crispy tofu.
Sticky Chicken Rice Bowl
- 1.5 lbs. chicken thighs, sliced into strips
- ¼ cup cornstarch
- ½ teaspoon salt, add to the cornstarch
- cracked black pepper , add to the cornstarch
- 1-2 tablespoons avocado oil, or vegetable oil
- 2 teaspoons ginger, peel skin and mince
- 2 teaspoons garlic, peel and mince, about 2-3 cloves
- ½ cup chicken broth, to deglaze the pan
- ¼ cup low sodium soy sauce
- ¼ -½ cup chicken broth
- 1 tablespoon sesame oil
- 1 tablespoon rice vinegar
- 2 tablespoons light brown sugar
- 1 cup white rice, makes about 3 cups cooked
Pickled Cucumbers and Onion
- ½ large red onion, sliced thin
- 1 medium English cucumber, sliced thin
- ½ cup rice vinegar
- ½ cup warm water
- 1 tablespoon cane sugar
- 1 mixing bowl for sauce
- 1 mixing bowl for cornstarch, salt and pepper
- 1 large saute pan for chicken and sauce
Prepare the sauce
- Combine low sodium soy sauce, chicken broth, rice vinegar, sesame oil, light brown sugar in a small mixing bowl. Set aside.
Prepare the chicken
- Slice the thighs into evenly sized pieces. Set aside.
- Combine cornstarch, salt and black pepper in a small mixing bowl.
- Add avocado oil to a large saute pan.
- Add the minced ginger and garlic. Saute until fragrant and lightly browned. While the garlic and ginger are sautéing, quickly toss the chicken in the cornstarch mixture. Shake off any excess cornstarch. Don't let it sit too long in the cornstarch or it will get pasty.Add the breaded chicken to the pan.
- Once the chicken is lightly browned, and cooked through, deglaze the pan with ½ cup chicken broth. Once the broth has reduced by half, add the prepared sauce. Simmer over medium low heat so the sauce can thicken.
Prepare the rice
- Cook 1 cup of rice according to the package. Makes about 3 cups cooked.
Prepare the pickled cucumbers and onions
- Slice the English cucumber and red onion. Run the red onion under hot water so it softens a touch. Add the rice vinegar, warm water, and cane sugar to a container. Stir until the sugar dissolves.Add the sliced cucumber and softened onion into the rice vinegar mixture. Add the peppercorns and seal the container. Let this mixture rest for at least 1 hour before using.
Prepare the shiitake mushrooms
- Add 1 tablespoon butter to a non-stick skillet.Sear the mushrooms in the skillet until they are golden brown. Remove from the heat. Season with a pinch of salt and pepper.
Assemble the dish
- Add rice to the bottom of a bowl. Next, add the sticky chicken, sautéed shiitake mushrooms, and pickled cucumbers and onions.Add a spoonful of kimchi and any other toppings you desire. Serve hot!