This recipe makes playing with your food fun and acceptable. Haha! Plus, this dish is so delicious easy to make. And while the “spiralized” part seems complex, it takes less than 10 minutes total. I can guarantee, that this is one of those meals your entire family will love and will keep requesting.
What makes it Healthyish?
Zucchini are known to improve vision and help keep our hearts healthy! While squash, are packed with loads of healthy vitamins like, manganese. (Manganese is a mineral that can help process carbs and improve bone strength.) Going low carb? Try swapping the noodles for cooked cauliflower pearls!
So, let’s get this recipe started!
Spiralized and Stuffed Zucchini and Squash
- 8×8 baking dish
- pasta pot
- wooden or metal skewers
- 2 zucchinis
- 2 squash
- 4 – 5 mozzarella cheese sticks
- 1 jar marinara sauce or homemade red sauce
- 8 ounces cooked pasta noodles
- parmesan cheese
- salt and pepper
- red pepper flakes – optional
- 4 wooden skewers
- Preheat the oven to 400 degrees.
- Boil a hot pot of water and cook your favorite noodles.
- Drain and rinse noodles, drizzle with olive oil and set aside.
- Cut the ends off of your zucchini and squash. **If you can use squash and zucchini that are straight in shape vs curved that will help. **
- Next, you’ll skewer the zucchini and squash with the wooden skewers. Try to get the skewers straight through the center.
- Then, you’ll take a sharp steak knife and begin to cut the zucchini / squash into a spiral. I learned that when you keep the tip of the knife against the wooden skewer in the center of the zucchini it really helps make an even, continuous spiral. Also, make sure the zucchini is on the cutting board as you slowly turn it. This also helps prevent the zucchini spiral from breaking.
- Repeat this process until all of the zucchini and squash are cut into spirals.
- Next, gently spray an 8×8 baking dish with cooking spray.
- Add 1 cup of marinara sauce to the bottom of the dish.
- Line the dish with you spiralized zucchini and squash.
- Take your mozzarella sticks and cut them diagonally.
- Gently slide a diagonal piece of cheese in-between the zucchini / squash spirals. **Be sure to rotate the diagonals so the zucchini and squash are balanced and not leaning to one side more than the other.**
- Season with salt and pepper.
- Cover with foil and bake for 35 – 40 minutes. Baking time will depend on how thick your spirals are, so be careful. Mine were about ½ inch thick.
- Remove foil for the last few minutes so the cheese can brown.
Assemble your plate:
- Add noodles with red sauce to your plate, top with the stuffed and spiralized zucchini and squash.
- Finish with some parmesan cheese and red pepper flakes!
Author: Sarah Thomas-DrawbaughSarah Thomas-Drawbaugh is a recipe developer and creator of the brand, Healthyish Foods®. Sarah makes plant-based, fish and chicken recipes that are simple and delicious. Her work can be seen in Healthy-ish by Bon Appetit and Bon Appetit Magazine (digital), Women’s Health Magazine (digital) and Mind Body Green. Sarah is a Pittsburgh, PA native but currently lives in Vail, Colorado with her husband, Dan and rescue dog, Graci!